IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Time? Ordering a New 2011 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 06:31 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, when I special order mine, it takes about 3 months (arrives in southern CA).

My 2008 IS Built Date: 07/14/2008. Date I picked it up: 8/22/2008.
Old 10-12-10, 05:14 PM
L3Xu5is350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what exactly can you "customize" for the 2011?

Since these cars have just been released, we are talking like february or march until they are readily available or what? If thats the case, I'll just continue saving for the 2011 IS350 AWD
Old 10-13-10, 06:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by L3Xu5is350
what exactly can you "customize" for the 2011?
Pretty much the same stuff you could on previous years, minus the options that were dropped for 2011 (like PCS).

Mostly folks special order when they want a configuration that lexus simply doesn't build normally... (Mark Levinson without nav for example)... or they want a combination not normally built... (like say a previous-year special orderer wanted PCS, but did NOT want the luxury package... while those aren't required to come together Lexus wouldn't build a base model with PCS normally)

Lexus has only a handful of build configurations they normally make of a car, and to make it worse they only ship 1 or 2 configs to a given area of the country... (my special order was the first sport package car my dealership had ever seen for example since Lexus simply doesn't make them for this area).
Old 10-13-10, 06:43 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

should be 3-4 months tops

i used to work @ lexus
Old 10-15-10, 09:07 AM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Lexus sets up groups of builds in advance, it's much more efficient from a supply and manufacturing point of view... it's not like for each car they go "ok, this one is ready to start, what goes in it?"

Anyway, I special ordered. In NC. An ACTUAL special order, of something they never build normally, so there was no chance of them swapping with the allocation going to another area of the country.

It took 2.5 months from placing the order to picking up the car.
Well 2.5 months is not to bad, much better then the 4-6 months the first dealer told me. But it fits in with the current dealers estimate of 90 days worst case scenario.

The dealer contacted me yesterday with a Matador Red/ Blk combo they found coming in this week, however it was missing half the options I wanted so I told them I would wait.

Basically from what he said after that was the new allocations of vehicles come in about every 10days or so. So they will check every 10 days to see.

The only options I ordered that are really rare here in NC was the luxury package and intuitive parking assist. The rest Nav, rear spoiler, rear bumper aplique are actually very common on IS350's. But then again IS350's them selves are rare in my part of NC I have only seen two new ones on the local two Lexus dealer lots both 2010 in the past 4 months none with luxury package.
Old 10-18-10, 07:55 AM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dibara2003
Out of curiosity, for those who special ordered... what's you car's manufactured date and the date you received your car? Doesn't have to be a 2011. I'm just trying to gauge the time from completed manufacture of the car to delivery.
I'll post it when ever I get the car if it ever gets here..

I haven't gotten any updates from the salesman this week for the next allocation shipments. But when ever I get the car I'll post the date for you and a photo of the build plate.
Old 10-18-10, 07:58 AM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IntegresS
For me, when I special order mine, it takes about 3 months (arrives in southern CA).

My 2008 IS Built Date: 07/14/2008. Date I picked it up: 8/22/2008.
That's actually impressive. It made it from Japan factory to your hands in just over a month and 8 days.

But I guess the CA port is much closer to Japan then the East Coast ports (if any)?
Old 11-06-10, 08:50 PM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Default who can you contact on this??

Originally Posted by RFFG
should be 3-4 months tops

i used to work @ lexus
Thanks, I hope 3 or less. I tried emailing Lexus Corporate HQ in the USA (CA, USA). But got some BS email back to talk to my dealer and the their local inventory manager?

I'm a little upset that I gave a $1000.00 deposite for nothing. I could have kept the $1000.00 in the bank or invested in stocks and almost doubled it or at least made $10.00 interest for 3-4 months.

I ordered my car Oct. 1st and as of yesterday 11-5-10 the dealer had NO word on even a build date, he said the Lexus rep knew they were looking for my car she was sent a email again that day???? But come on over a month and Lexus doesn't even have a build date for the dealer yet... Tell me something. I'm wondering if I want a IS still going through this. I just want the Luxury Pkg option which seems to be the issue per my dealer. They haven't found any cars coming in the ports (east coast) with the luxury pkg option much less parking assist or Matador red????

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! This is getting old..
Old 11-06-10, 09:05 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

I ordered a 2011 IS 350 RWD F SPORT ... I had it 3 weeks later, I knew the Sales Manager and the one and only color combo I wanted was what he was getting in ... Starfire Pearl & black interior SUPA FRESH!
Old 11-06-10, 11:03 PM
sangomaru
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shocker88
Thanks, I hope 3 or less. I tried emailing Lexus Corporate HQ in the USA (CA, USA). But got some BS email back to talk to my dealer and the their local inventory manager?

I'm a little upset that I gave a $1000.00 deposite for nothing. I could have kept the $1000.00 in the bank or invested in stocks and almost doubled it or at least made $10.00 interest for 3-4 months.

I ordered my car Oct. 1st and as of yesterday 11-5-10 the dealer had NO word on even a build date, he said the Lexus rep knew they were looking for my car she was sent a email again that day???? But come on over a month and Lexus doesn't even have a build date for the dealer yet... Tell me something. I'm wondering if I want a IS still going through this. I just want the Luxury Pkg option which seems to be the issue per my dealer. They haven't found any cars coming in the ports (east coast) with the luxury pkg option much less parking assist or Matador red????

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! This is getting old..
So a couple of things.
Did you receive a copy of the preference order sheet when you placed the order for the car? The dealer should have told you min. 90 days, so you should not worry about it until the dealer calls you about when your car will be built. Remember, its 45-60 days before the factory issues a build date. Then HQ will send that info to your dealer.

If the dealer really completed the special order, they shouldn't be looking for cars at the ports. I think your dealer is trying to intercept a car similar to your specs. With a special order, there's no need for this.
Old 11-07-10, 12:29 AM
MiiK350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sangomaru
So a couple of things.
Did you receive a copy of the preference order sheet when you placed the order for the car? The dealer should have told you min. 90 days, so you should not worry about it until the dealer calls you about when your car will be built. Remember, its 45-60 days before the factory issues a build date. Then HQ will send that info to your dealer.

If the dealer really completed the special order, they shouldn't be looking for cars at the ports. I think your dealer is trying to intercept a car similar to your specs. With a special order, there's no need for this.
+1
Why would they be looking for a similar car coming in if they already ordered yours? That would leave them with a car with options that only you like, and no one else would like. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't placed a special order yet.
Old 11-22-10, 11:15 AM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Default Special order worries??

Originally Posted by MiiK350
+1
Why would they be looking for a similar car coming in if they already ordered yours? That would leave them with a car with options that only you like, and no one else would like. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't placed a special order yet.
You guys are bringing me down now, LOL.. They said they ordered it and are awaiting the build date. They were searching incoming cars in case one could be found before they get a build date (they can cancel up till build date is given) or car is actually shipped to the dealer.

UPDATE Nov. 19, 2010

I called them and talked to the manager he told me they were awaiting to hear the build date and that once they have the build date (coming off assembly line) it would be about 10-14 days before it arrived in Jacksonville, FL (Port) then another 4-5 days before it would arrive at the dealership.

However as of today Nov. 22, 2010 they still have not gotten a build date.

Mean while a Lexus dealer in VA I contacted has offered to sell me a AWD car all the options I ordered except Parking Assist (PA) for $14.00 less then my RWD on order (a AWD for the price of a RWD). As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to consider the AWD car if I can get them down another $500-900 since it would be 12hrs out of my life $70 train ticket, etc. to go 4.25hrs away to get the car. What to do?

Still waiting

UPDATE Nov. 29, 2010

I visited the dealership, they showed me the email order of my car to the Lexus area manager a Mrs. Lee. It shows the factory options I wanted on there (NV, LT, PA) but not the port installed options (LR, rear bumper aplique, paint protection film).

The dealer said they usually don't hear anything on special orders for 60 days then usually have them within 90 days? We will see, I'm hoping to get the build date this week or next.

Per the dealer, the car arrives in Jacksonville, FL 10-14 days after they get the date, and to them 4-5 days after that. One slow truck from FL to NC I can make it in 12-14 hours max not 4-5 days, LOL.

Last edited by shocker88; 12-01-10 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-10-11, 10:57 AM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Default Finally got my car Jan 22, 2011

Well I ordered it Oct. 1, 2010 and it came in on the truck the night of 1/20/11. The dealership called me 1/21/11 to tell me it was in.

Went to pick it up 1/22/11 got it and love it.

Worth the wait??? Well I love the car anyway.

Also someone wanted the build date info posted. For my car it was 12/10 for the build/ assembly date.

I'll post an image as soon as I get a site to host it. Imageshack.us doesn't seem to be working today???

When I got there to pick it up was still wrapped up.

Old 02-10-11, 03:59 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your new IS! The red looks nice and I like the five-spoke wheels. I totally know how it feels to be waiting a longggg time for a car to arrive... it feels great though once you drive it out of the lot.
Old 02-11-11, 02:21 PM
yangster
Pit Crew

Good to hear your story. We're in Atlanta and the Luxury Package is a standard item here. So it's strange that is not up there. We wanted the IS350C in Matador Red/Alabaster (as pictured in their brochure). Couldn't find one anywhere in that color combo. One dealer said no longer available. I emailed Corp and they said it's available as a special order. Ended up placing the order Jan 18. Options: Lux Package, Nav, Parking Assist and 18 wheels. A couple days later they call us back and said Lexus no longer offers the Luxury Package in Alabaster! However, we could order the HIDs, heated/vent seats as they are available as separate options. We ended up doing that, but WTF. Who ever heard of a luxury car with no memory seats! Also lost out on the upgraded aniline leather, auto wipers and lighted sills. All good options on a luxury car. My wife is happy (her car) but is stilled p.o.'d about the luxury package. oh well. at least she get the color combo she wants. Got the 2011 at factory invoice.

Quick Reply: Time? Ordering a New 2011 IS350