IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Luminics Krypton Series Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 01:21 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Luminics Krypton Series Difference?

Still researching hard before replacing my DRLs (yes i know i'm becoming a pain starting all these threads about the same thing)

came across the Krypton series from Luminics that are a bit more than the original series. they claim that it's more yellow due to more surface area of the bulb.
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...dm-yellow-9005

does anyone have these installed? i'm wondering if the bigger surface area will fit?

Another thing is, whether the original series of krypton series, i can't seem to find pics of a 55W version. they all state 65W, but luminicsbulbs.com claim to carry a 55W version.
Can anyone verify that they have a 55W version?

The reason i ask is because if all luminics 9005 bulbs out there are 65W, then i might go with the krypton series to see if it's really more yellow.
still thinking if i should take the risk of running 65W bulbs on the OEM harness after seeing the 70W nokyas melting the harness. afterall, it's only 5W more than the krypton series.

yea yea, i know i should get a heavy duty harness.
just wanna see if there are any 55W bulbs out there before i go the other route
Old 10-11-10, 01:31 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilentWish
Still researching hard before replacing my DRLs (yes i know i'm becoming a pain starting all these threads about the same thing)

came across the Krypton series from Luminics that are a bit more than the original series. they claim that it's more yellow due to more surface area of the bulb.
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...dm-yellow-9005

does anyone have these installed? i'm wondering if the bigger surface area will fit?

Another thing is, whether the original series of krypton series, i can't seem to find pics of a 55W version. they all state 65W, but luminicsbulbs.com claim to carry a 55W version.
Can anyone verify that they have a 55W version?

The reason i ask is because if all luminics 9005 bulbs out there are 65W, then i might go with the krypton series to see if it's really more yellow.
still thinking if i should take the risk of running 65W bulbs on the OEM harness after seeing the 70W nokyas melting the harness. afterall, it's only 5W more than the krypton series.

yea yea, i know i should get a heavy duty harness.
just wanna see if there are any 55W bulbs out there before i go the other route
I would NOT run that high of a wattage bulb, I think it's asking for trouble, I don't care what they say.

Why don't you just the VLed's SMT kit? And nix this yellow fad. Everyone wants bluer hid's to get rid of the "yellow" in the oem's, then they want yellow fogs and drl's. Makes NO sense to me.

OR, if you really want **** yellow drl's, just do this. Get the relay kit from Vleds.com that runs full power to the oem drl's all the time. Then get a plug and play 35 watt Yellow HID kit. Then you'll have ultra bright yellow HID Drl's. Then when you turn your heads on, they will shut off. If you were REALLY slick, you'd take apart the headlight and get the piece that blocks low beams from another car and install it in your bright housing so that it wasn't even THAT bright.
Old 10-12-10, 06:48 PM
Synetix250
Driver

the krypton series have a higher wattage and heat generation/output. for drl's, they might be ok but if you turn on your highbeams full power for a length of time you risk melting the harness and extreme heat. I would stick to the original luminics and for sure do not use the krypton series for your fogs..
Old 10-13-10, 05:47 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

thanks for the reply guys!

ScKcBc, i need my high beams frequently where i live, so as much as i want to use LEDs for my DRLs.. i can't cause i'll loose my high beams. and if i had a choice, i wouldn't choose yellow DRLs actually, i'd wanna keep them white.. or purple.. but unfortunately any color bulbs running at 30% power turns out to be stock yellow.. other than the JDM yellow bulbs, which turn out to be more yellow and i prefer than rather than having the stock yellow that's neither white/yellow

Synetix! thanks for the tip, in this case i'll stay away from the krypton series
so the krypton series is only safe to use as low beams? or is it not even safe to use on the IS in general?

man i'm really tempted to try the luminics ultra violet color as DRLs.. but i think other members have said that it still turns out yellow
i find that weird tho.. as the entire bulb is painted purple.. wouldn't even a slight light at 30% power still give off a hint of purple?
Old 10-13-10, 09:07 AM
Synetix250
Driver

thanks for the reply guys!

ScKcBc, i need my high beams frequently where i live, so as much as i want to use LEDs for my DRLs.. i can't cause i'll loose my high beams. and if i had a choice, i wouldn't choose yellow DRLs actually, i'd wanna keep them white.. or purple.. but unfortunately any color bulbs running at 30% power turns out to be stock yellow.. other than the JDM yellow bulbs, which turn out to be more yellow and i prefer than rather than having the stock yellow that's neither white/yellow

Synetix! thanks for the tip, in this case i'll stay away from the krypton series
so the krypton series is only safe to use as low beams? or is it not even safe to use on the IS in general?

man i'm really tempted to try the luminics ultra violet color as DRLs.. but i think other members have said that it still turns out yellow
i find that weird tho.. as the entire bulb is painted purple.. wouldn't even a slight light at 30% power still give off a hint of purple?
The krypton series (in my opinion and according to the website) has a wider bulb surface and requires more wattage-so it is brighter but generates a lot more heat, increasing the chances of harness and assembly damage. the krypton series should only be used on light assemblies that have glass lenses or coverings not plastic or acrylic like our is's. if you choose to risk the krypton series, definitely get their heavy duty pnp harnesses also.
Old 10-13-10, 09:31 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

haha noooo Synetix, i wouldn't wanna risk the krypton series
for their original series.. they're still 65W
do you think i should get their heavy duty harnesses as well?
from what i've heard.. other CL members who use luminics don't need to use their harnesses and they don't have any issues..
but the thing is i'm not sure if they have older 55W bulbs? or were there ever 55W luminics?

thanks for the tip tho!
Old 10-13-10, 01:47 PM
Synetix250
Driver

haha noooo Synetix, i wouldn't wanna risk the krypton series
for their original series.. they're still 65W
do you think i should get their heavy duty harnesses as well?
from what i've heard.. other CL members who use luminics don't need to use their harnesses and they don't have any issues..
but the thing is i'm not sure if they have older 55W bulbs? or were there ever 55W luminics?

thanks for the tip tho!
I have the original series luminics jdm yellows in my fogs and i ordered the harness and didn't use it and haven't had any problems..so i think you'll be ok with the original series. krypton i would def. use it then. i forget what wattage mine are, i think they are 55w though..ill check later after work.
Old 10-13-10, 08:03 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Synetix250
I have the original series luminics jdm yellows in my fogs and i ordered the harness and didn't use it and haven't had any problems..so i think you'll be ok with the original series. krypton i would def. use it then. i forget what wattage mine are, i think they are 55w though..ill check later after work.
thanks Synetix!
yes, seeing if your original series is 55W would help!
although all luminics i can find online now all state to be 65W
if you don't feel like taking your bulbs outta the car, see if you can find the package the bulbs came in, it should state the wattage of the bulbs as well