IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pothole blew my Tire - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 02:42 PM
RONSKI23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pothole blew my Tire - HELP!!

So I live in Miami and I was heading to work Friday morning on I-95 - doing about 40MPH (Traffic) I hit this nasty Pothole in the middle of the effen Highway which blew the Tire and Dented the rim........... Lexus is quoting $700 to fix (Tire, Alignment, Rim Repair).

Can I go after the State for the Repairs? Has anyone else ever had this crap happen to them? Who is responsible for the repairs?

Thanks -
Attached Thumbnails Pothole blew my Tire - HELP!!-rim.jpg  
Old 10-11-10, 02:50 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks, sorry to hear about that dude. same thing happened to me here in HI. nasty pothole cut up my sidewall and had to replace it with a new one. people were telling me i could take it to the state to fight it and have them pay for the damage, but i heard its alot of work. alot of paper work to fill out and you have to have some sort of proof that the pothole caused it, like taking a picture of it. on top of that theres the waiting time.

i had no patience or time to deal with all that stuff so i just ate up the cost for the new tire. but seeing yours, if theres rim and tire damage amounting over $700, you might want to consider looking deeper into filing a claim. either that or just claim from your insurance, if your deductible is under $700.
Old 10-11-10, 02:50 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck going to state and opening a claim.... Do you have road hazard insurance for your tires? You can go through the tire manufacturer if you do and they should give you a brand new tire.
Old 10-11-10, 02:51 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I heard you can call city and file the claim for that? but what I heard is in Ohio, not sure about FL
Old 10-11-10, 02:52 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Dont go to Lexus. Have a rim repair shop fix the rim, buy a new tire (or used), and get it aligned some where else. It would be a lot cheaper.
Old 10-11-10, 03:18 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$75 at a wheel shop will get you fixed + tire of course.
Old 10-11-10, 04:08 PM
lonesan
Driver School Candidate

I dont know about FL..

But i have seen a few times in the state of California (i sat in on one case) where similar thing happens and it turned into a cross lawsuit where the person sued city/state(cant remember) and they turned around and sued Caltrans (like the only company in the state that can do high traffic roads) ended up being an issue where Caltrans knew about it for months but never dispatched to get it fixed.

But yea it was alot of work from what i recall cant remember what happened to the drivers lawsuit but the hearing i sat in on was like 2nd of 3or4 hearings and it was already like 6months after the inital lawsuit by the driver.
Old 10-11-10, 04:22 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

I think Florida's really good about paying out claims for stuff like this. I dont know if they do it for tires too, but i know they pay out claims for windshields if u get a rock chip.
Old 10-11-10, 05:26 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

do not go to the dealer, a used rim will cost about 70-100 which you can find on this forum or ebay, tire about 150 depending on which one, and alignment around 70-120? def cheaper than the dealer
Old 10-11-10, 06:03 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

I live in tampa, fl this happend to me about 4 years ago. went through a nast pot whole cracked my front passenger side and dented the rear. all i did was drive up to the office of the roads delrtment fill out a form add some pics and send it in. i ended up receiving a check for about $2000 because i made the case i needed 4 new wheels since i couldnt just buy 2 from anywhere :-)
the thing that i think helped me a lot is the fact that when i pulled over at this gas station after i hit the pot hole there were like 4 other cars there with the same problem. so we all were saying how were gonna file claims and i guess when they saw a bunch of claims for the same thing they knew they messes up....
I hope this helps and gives you some hope. i know how much this sux. gl!
Old 10-12-10, 05:38 AM
RONSKI23
Driver

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I went throught the Dealer to make sure it was all done right - the Tire is actually cheaper there than at Local Tire Shops - and they called me to say the Rim is Repairable ($200) -

Ths best part of this entire thing is..... I was driving on the same road this morning and the Hole was filled up with Asphalt - so they knew this existed............gotta be repair orders on file with them - it would've been nice to get a Police Report - but the Highway Patrol was taking forever to get there and I needed to get to work.....

Lets see what plays off.

Ron
Old 10-12-10, 05:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RONSKI23
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I went throught the Dealer to make sure it was all done right - the Tire is actually cheaper there than at Local Tire Shops - and they called me to say the Rim is Repairable ($200) -

Ths best part of this entire thing is..... I was driving on the same road this morning and the Hole was filled up with Asphalt - so they knew this existed............gotta be repair orders on file with them - it would've been nice to get a Police Report - but the Highway Patrol was taking forever to get there and I needed to get to work.....

Lets see what plays off.

Ron

good luck with that now. it will be really hard to say that happened especially if you do not have any pictures.
Old 10-12-10, 06:19 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by RONSKI23

Lets see what plays off.

Ron

In many jurisdictions, this is what determines whether the city is liable. If they have prior notice of the road defect, and were negligent in marking and repairing it, they are liable.
Old 10-12-10, 07:32 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah in NJ they will only pay if:

You have police report

You have receipt or quotations on repairs

You have reported the pothole

The pothole have been reported by something else prior

The pothole have been reported by someone else yet there is proof of government inaction

Then they will pay you back for what the insurance doesn't cover.

When I got their detail list after I filed my claim 5 months before I want to go over there and tear out that person's spine.
Old 10-12-10, 08:47 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Man that sucks! I would be PO for sure....Im sure you can get it done cheaper somewhere else, I mean your in MIAMI. Someone there has to repair rims cheaper than Lexus.

Quick Reply: Pothole blew my Tire - HELP!!