IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 11:07 PM
androo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

i am new to this forum. i tried searching for a thread similar to my question but couldn't find an answer.

i have recently purchased my first Lexus car ever, the 2008 IS250. a beautiful car and i absolutely love it. i want to take care of it as best as possible and want to know everything down to the tiniest detail.

my first question right now is how often should i do an oil change?

do i do it as many other cars and get an oil change every 3000 miles? or is there a difference with Lexus. can you go an extra thousand miles before you get an oil change and still keep it from having problems?

i don't know much about Lexus and how they work but i want to know as much as possible.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-10, 11:15 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil change every 5k i do it every 7k cuz i use synthetic. and blackstone labs has proven that its ok for me to do so.. try a search on oil change and you will get the answer your looking for
Old 10-12-10, 11:20 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer said every 5K
Old 10-13-10, 06:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The owners manual says 5k

(no car has recommended 3k changes for many many years... many OEMs recommend 7.5k-10k changes anymore).

That said, 7.5k is very safe in normal driving with normal oil, and many have had good UOAs at 10k mile changes.

10-15k is very safe with any decent synthetic in normal driving, and with a good synthetic you would be perfectly safe at 20-25k mile changes (though changing the filter more often)
Old 10-13-10, 06:56 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
10-15k is very safe with any decent synthetic in normal driving, and with a good synthetic you would be perfectly safe at 20-25k mile changes (though changing the filter more often)
Safe for the engine, maybe, but not so safe for the warranty. Do you really want to risk being in the position of having Lexus deny a repair because you went 25k between changes on a car where the maintenance schedule specifies changes every 5k?
Old 10-13-10, 07:05 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I dorve the IS 250, as a loaner and have to say that it was a hoot to drive, I would probably enjoy the 350 a little more due to the increased power, but the car handled nicely. but then again, coming out of an LS, it was a lazer beam comparatively speaking. Run synthetic and change every 5-6k. That's what I will be doing once I change over in 1.5k. I'm not sure if the 250 has issues of sludging like some of the other toyota engines, that I read about a little while back, but- if I were you, with such a nice car like that, I would be cautious!Welcome to club Lexus and enjoy your new IS!
Old 10-13-10, 07:09 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5-8k synthetic
Old 10-13-10, 09:14 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

synthetic oil, once a year is sufficient unless you do abnormally high amounts of driving
Old 10-13-10, 09:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Safe for the engine, maybe, but not so safe for the warranty. Do you really want to risk being in the position of having Lexus deny a repair because you went 25k between changes on a car where the maintenance schedule specifies changes every 5k?
Given Amsoil, which has been around two decades longer than the Lexus brand has, guarantees their product in your engine for 25k mile changes, and in 40 years in business has never had a customer experience a long-oil-change related engine failure.... yes I feel pretty safe with that recommendation.

If Lexus did try to deny it they'd have no basis for doing so, and the burden of proof remains on them. Amsoil even has a section on their website devoted to information for how to report a dealer trying such BS to them for them to follow up on it.

Changing a synthetic oil every 5k miles is literally pouring money down a drain.
Old 10-13-10, 01:01 PM
Eurosport
Rookie

oil threads are like politics, blah blah blah and nothing good comes out EVER lol

seriously people need to stop preaching their one and only tunnel vision way and realize there's no one way when to do an oil change, it depends too much on other factors which are never disclosed like way of driving, conditions, location, short trips, all could be taken into account...and others.
so the owner can make their own decision...
Old 10-13-10, 01:20 PM
playtilith
Driver School Candidate

Havent any of you ever noticed your car get sluggish after 4k miles? I know I do, and I cant stand it. I think 5k miles is the limit to synthetic oils. I would try to never run any car with any oil over 5k miles.

I know for sure, that with every car that I had, and around 3.5-5k miles my cars tells me to change the oil. You can just feel it in the way it drives, its just a little slugish.

Ultimately, do what you think is best for your car. If you want to keep your routine you've had all along with all your other cars, then stick with it.
Old 10-13-10, 01:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Always follow what the manual says (5k miles). Should be the first thing you read when you get any new (used) car. Factory has tested these engines more than any of us and they know best.
Old 10-13-10, 03:15 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

welcome to CL...

change oil every 5K and you're good !
Old 10-13-10, 05:47 PM
Eurosport
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Always follow what the manual says (5k miles). Should be the first thing you read when you get any new (used) car. Factory has tested these engines more than any of us and they know best.
lol and they have your interest at heart? or their shareholders?

do they really want your car to last w/out problems after the warranty, when things are on your dime?
obviously 99% of first owners don't care because by that time they'll get rid of the car, trade it in, get another new one etc. so of course whatever it's cheaper works for them now.

manufacturers recommend things so it's good for them on two counts, less spend during warranty and catch them after warranty since they'll make their dough with parts and service np.

then there's leases, lol do we even need to analyze anything about that? do not buy a previously leased car, lol if you plan on keeping the car for awhile.
Old 10-13-10, 11:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurosport
lol and they have your interest at heart? or their shareholders?

do they really want your car to last w/out problems after the warranty, when things are on your dime?
obviously 99% of first owners don't care because by that time they'll get rid of the car, trade it in, get another new one etc. so of course whatever it's cheaper works for them now.

manufacturers recommend things so it's good for them on two counts, less spend during warranty and catch them after warranty since they'll make their dough with parts and service np.

then there's leases, lol do we even need to analyze anything about that? do not buy a previously leased car, lol if you plan on keeping the car for awhile.
I agree with all that, but straying from the recommended service and dealer crap has proved to be haunting. Dealers today are savvy and will hold every little bit against you if you have done your own maintenance or extend intervals. This has even been the case with receipts from ASC mechanics. The hassles and arguments with the service advisor and manager, and wasted time calling Corporate to prove your warranty claim is not worth saving a few bucks in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Oil Change