jzilby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be shopping for a kia...not a lexus
Old 10-13-10, 05:20 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i cant believe there's another new thread about "When't next gen IS coming out?". this question has been asked like a milion of times....
Old 10-13-10, 07:59 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree, the last few years of a model are more reliable. But don't forget about how resale values take a bigger hit compared to earlier model years. The car is outdated in a very short time. So if you add up all that, the value may be a wash as far as recalls and TSB's.
Maybe but you can also get stellar deals in the last year or two of production, whereas the first couple of years they are gouging you a bit because everyone wants the new model. They will REALLY deal with you in the final years and that will offset the resale issue.
Old 10-13-10, 10:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Maybe but you can also get stellar deals in the last year or two of production, whereas the first couple of years they are gouging you a bit because everyone wants the new model. They will REALLY deal with you in the final years and that will offset the resale issue.
Great point. Deals are much better near the end.
Old 10-13-10, 10:50 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah
*raises hand* Old person here.

With your calculations, I'm guessing that you are living somewhere that has no rent payment. Keep in mind that for the duration of your loan (should you decide to keep it) you will (unless you get a raise or better pay) have to keep your lifestyle the way it currently is.

Will you move somewhere else and have to pay rent, utilities and food?
Will you have an SO that will occupy some of your paycheck?
Will you be continuing school (less time for work)?
Will you be wanting any more expensive toys (motorcycle, perhaps?)

Always always always have emergency money stashed away. My rule of thumb is to have at least 1/3 of your paycheck put into savings.
Hello Old Person (how old? 30s?)

You're correct, I don't have any rent payment because I still live with my parents. I'm thinking of getting my IS350 next Christmas, which will probably be the last set of IS350's before the redesign. I plan to lease my IS350 for 3 years, and then buy it, or if the payments are less and the APR is real low, have a 60 month finance buy.

To answer your questions:

I am going to school to get an AS in Fire Technology, and hopefully become a FireFighter in 4 years or less. Once I become a Firefighter, my monthly income will go from $1,200 to $5,500-$6,000 a month.

I do plan on moving out, once I get my career going, but will continue going to school for a BA. With the money I'll be making as a Firefighter, I should be able to afford a Condo (payments less than $2,200 a month), and afford utilities and all other bills.

I don't plan on buying any other expensive toys, other than modifying my IS350 to make it nicer looking and faster. I'm more of a technology nerd, so I'll be buying gizmo's and gadgets and so on.

As for saving money, with my current job of making $1,200 a month, I do plan to save around $300-$500 a month.
Old 10-13-10, 10:51 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jzilby
you should be shopping for a kia...not a lexus
Don't like Korean, Japanese is the way to go, and I like the combination of Luxury/Speed/Reliability.
Old 10-13-10, 10:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Incredible
How sure are you about the 2012 release of the 2013 model?

It's just, I donno. The GS is having a redesign, and it will give it a 6 year cycle, and I figured the same would happen to the IS, since they were both released the same year, and I figured they would both have a redesign in the same year also.
While none of us have official word on when the next IS will debut, we can try our best to look at the "evidence" of what's been given and make some conclusions. I'd put the most faith in the idea that the new IS is overdue already, they are currently testing mules, and normally a facelifted car last for two years before being retired. Waiting an extra year after 2012 would really be playing with fire and unlikely. Also, car-makers do not use past patterns of car releases as a future schedule. In this unstable day and time, the trusty four and a half year cycle has been thrown out the window. Unfortunately for Lexus, they currently seem to be stuck with many models living a similar calendar cycle (ES, IS, GS). That makes for some great selling years bunched together, but some slow ones in between.
Old 10-13-10, 10:53 PM
cmky3
Driver School Candidate

I plan on spending $300 for credit card payments a month (damn 29.99% apr, ruinin my life), less than $100 for phone payments. I'm hoping to spend less than $500 a month for a car. I do plan on saving $400 a month for at least a year or 2, having anywhere between $4,800-$9,600 saved up. Obviously its not all gonna go towards a down payment. Just $2,500. The rest should be there to make the payments for the car, in case, God forbid, my hours get cut.
Do they even teach math in high schools anymore?

Pay down your debt and start saving man. A car is a horrible investment in general and especially so when it represents 2-3 years of take home pay and is new.

I like my IS250, but 70% of what I spent on the damn thing is going to disappear over the next 8 years. I have enough credit/savings to buy a $100k car, but can't stomach losing $70k on it over the next 8 years which is why I opted for the IS250.
Old 10-13-10, 10:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Hello Old Person (how old? 30s?)

You're correct, I don't have any rent payment because I still live with my parents. I'm thinking of getting my IS350 next Christmas, which will probably be the last set of IS350's before the redesign. I plan to lease my IS350 for 3 years, and then buy it, or if the payments are less and the APR is real low, have a 60 month finance buy.

To answer your questions:

I am going to school to get an AS in Fire Technology, and hopefully become a FireFighter in 4 years or less. Once I become a Firefighter, my monthly income will go from $1,200 to $5,500-$6,000 a month.

I do plan on moving out, once I get my career going, but will continue going to school for a BA. With the money I'll be making as a Firefighter, I should be able to afford a Condo (payments less than $2,200 a month), and afford utilities and all other bills.

I don't plan on buying any other expensive toys, other than modifying my IS350 to make it nicer looking and faster. I'm more of a technology nerd, so I'll be buying gizmo's and gadgets and so on.

As for saving money, with my current job of making $1,200 a month, I do plan to save around $300-$500 a month.
Cool plan! Just for the record though, the majority of us claim we'll keep our current car for a while or till it dies. Then in a few years a new model comes out, we have to have it, and the old plan goes into the trashcan. I am guilty of this, but learned a few cars ago I'm fooling myself and others with the claim. When you are a car guy, the new cars usually win out and you want the next better thing or a new project.
Old 10-13-10, 10:59 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmky3
Do they even teach math in high schools anymore?

Pay down your debt and start saving man. A car is a horrible investment in general and especially so when it represents 2-3 years of take home pay and is new.

I like my IS250, but 70% of what I spent on the damn thing is going to disappear over the next 8 years. I have enough credit/savings to buy a $100k car, but can't stomach losing $70k on it over the next 8 years which is why I opted for the IS250.
I know math, but hate it. Anyway, I know got credit card bills that are due, but people keep telling me to never pay it off completely.

I did do this "blueprint" thing on the Chase website, and I have it planned out to pay off both of my credit cards (a little over $5k) by July 2012. But when December 2011 comes a long, or the next best offer for the IS350, I'm gonna go for it.

I'm currently driving a 1990 Lexus LS400, has 132,000 miles, and still runs. The reliability of the lexus is amazing, and once I buy a brand new IS350, I'm gonna be keeping it for 10-20 years before selling it. Not saying that I won't be buying another car in the meantime, just saying that I'll be keeping it for a while.
Old 10-13-10, 11:03 PM
sangomaru
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ If you owe that much, you should really focus on paying that off before adding more to it with a new car.
Old 10-13-10, 11:08 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Cool plan! Just for the record though, the majority of us claim we'll keep our current car for a while or till it dies. Then in a few years a new model comes out, we have to have it, and the old plan goes into the trashcan. I am guilty of this, but learned a few cars ago I'm fooling myself and others with the claim. When you are a car guy, the new cars usually win out and you want the next better thing or a new project.
I completely agree with this, but I gotta throw in my 2 cents on it.

I'm a tech guy, I'm 23 years old, and love Apple. I got a Macbook in 2007, and then gave it to my parents cause it was falling apart, and got me a nice iMac a few months ago. But when it comes to technology, I came to realize that its IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with it. With new advances being released every 6 months to a year, there is no way to keep up. I'm not gonna be wasting money every year, just because something is newer!

When it comes to cars, thank God they're a bit more forgiving and having a facelift 3 1/2 years later, and a redesign 6-7 years later! With that said, I'm gonna buy the last year of the 2nd Gen IS350 (in 2011, I'll buy the 2012 model), and the next car I will buy, will most likely be the last year of the 4th Gen GS350 (in 2018, I'll buy the 2019 model).

At least this way, I'll have a car paid off, improve my credit score, not worry for car payments for 2 years, and then buy a newer toy.
Old 10-13-10, 11:09 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sangomaru
^ If you owe that much, you should really focus on paying that off before adding more to it with a new car.
People tell me to not pay off a credit card completely, cause it somehow effects your credit score in a negative way. But I will be paying off a huge majority of it in the next 14-18 months.
Old 10-13-10, 11:09 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Don't buy a luxury car if you can't comfortably afford the payment, it's just a car.
Old 10-13-10, 11:12 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dude no offense, especially since i am only 22 (i paid for my car upfront all by myself, though i did buy it used at a ridiculously low price), but what your making and how much you owe, you should totally not be leasing or even trying to buy a new car. you should really consider looking into buying used, it'll save you a fortune. In addition, your making way to little money to try to finance a car by yourself. I make close to a grand a month, and i only have to work 10 hours a week and i couldn't even buy a NEW car. you should make sure you know where your priorities are at.

get out of debt, go to school, get paid, then buy a car

Quick Reply: 2012 is