IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2012 is

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 12:13 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Incredible Talk (Future 3IS, Financing, Debt, Taxes, and More!)

Back in 2008, I leased an IS250, but I only kept it for 9 months. Reason being, I couldn't make payments on it anymore, and it got Repo-ed.

Well, I like the current design of the IS, but next year, will we see a redesigned IS250/IS350?

This current body has years from 2006-2011. Meaning that the first body came out in 2005, and well, aren't they due for a redesign next year?

I just want to know if a redesign is happening for a 2011 release of the 2012 body, and if there are any photos of the redesign?

Thanks.

Last edited by SaintNexus; 10-15-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-13-10, 12:38 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

yep, new models coming out in 2011. dealer confirmed it with me as well. 2011 around july you will see the 2012 model (of course not for sale yet). should be out by sept-nov in 2011.
Old 10-13-10, 01:30 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hustler101
yep, new models coming out in 2011. dealer confirmed it with me as well. 2011 around july you will see the 2012 model (of course not for sale yet). should be out by sept-nov in 2011.
So by July of next year, we'll see the new model, but not yet for sale? I'm assuming that people will be able to see it on their website? If they're going to be available in Sept-Nov of next year, will they happen to have a Holiday/Christmas Lease special for it?

I'm 23 years old (24 in July), and I'm a pretty big person and I like big cars (GS/LS). The way I see it, I wouldn't mind Leasing/Buying an IS350 Sedan, and then by the time im 30, I should be able to afford a $50k-$80k Lexus (GS350/GSF/LS460L).

I'm assuming most of the members here that own IS's are either in their late teens/early 20s also?
Old 10-13-10, 03:55 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

the next gen IS has previously been speculated to come out in 2012 as a 2013 model. They just did a redesign for 2011 with different head lights, tail lights, bumpers, and a few other small odds and ends. The general consensus is that Lexus wouldn't do all of this for only one model year.

Additionally, new models are usually spied 2.5 years-4 years ahead of time. So if Lexus was going to release a new body IS for 2013, it would be coming out in 12 months, which would mean they would ALREADY have at least one somewhat complete.

Lastly, car salesman 99% of the time are wrong. They like to use their employment for said car dealer as a reason that they have privilege knowledge, which they don't. They know just as much as the public. Because how many people get jobs as salesmen, then leave the next week? If manufacturers trusted every salesman with info, they'd have leaks all over the place.

So, using logic, the next IS will probably be out in 2012 as a 2013 model.

And lastly, there is a thread about ages of IS owners. I believe most were mid 20's to mid 30's. MOST people in their late teens, early 20's cant afford a 35k-45k car new so either parents cover it or they get themselves into high payments which they can't afford and then either lose or have to sell/trade in the car. Now that is250's are <20k and is350's are <25k, more people can afford them so you may see younger people starting to sway the market.
Old 10-13-10, 04:32 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

that sucks for the folks who are buying the 2011, they will only have a one yr old model before its changed.
Old 10-13-10, 06:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
that sucks for the folks who are buying the 2011, they will only have a one yr old model before its changed.
Except they almost certainly won't, as just explained in the post before yours.

Fall 2012, as a 2013, is likely the earliest you'll see the 3rd gen IS.
Old 10-13-10, 06:12 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Except they almost certainly won't, as just explained in the post before yours.

Fall 2012, as a 2013, is likely the earliest you'll see the 3rd gen IS.

Not only that, but when you buy a car in the last couple of years of production, the long-term reliability is amazing compared to buying a car in the first couple of years.

Look at all the TSBs and production changes that the 2010-2010 have compared to 2006-2007. Carbon buildup, valve springs, brake dust... the list goes on and on. Its not limited to this make, its true of any vendor. It takes many years to work the bugs out of a new model.

For those that tend to keep a car 6-8 years or over 100k miles, the last year of production is the best year to buy. For those that keep a car less than that, then I'm glad you're rich enough to throw large sums of money away without regard for retirement, your kids college savings, etc

There is also no guarantee that the newer model will be more attractive than the prior one. Look at the current Acuras compared to the generation prior for example.
Old 10-13-10, 08:35 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Incredible
I'm assuming most of the members here that own IS's are either in their late teens/early 20s also?
No most individuals in their late teans/ early 20's can't afford an IS and I think your a walking/talking example of one. I'm 27 but I would bet to say that i'm on the front edge of the age range. Those who are in their late teens driving these probably do not own the vehicle as their mom and dad bought it for them. Needless to say I don't have any respect for those individuals.
Old 10-13-10, 01:19 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
the next gen IS has previously been speculated to come out in 2012 as a 2013 model. They just did a redesign for 2011 with different head lights, tail lights, bumpers, and a few other small odds and ends. The general consensus is that Lexus wouldn't do all of this for only one model year.

Additionally, new models are usually spied 2.5 years-4 years ahead of time. So if Lexus was going to release a new body IS for 2013, it would be coming out in 12 months, which would mean they would ALREADY have at least one somewhat complete.

So, using logic, the next IS will probably be out in 2012 as a 2013 model.
But I thought that Lexus is having 6 year cycles? Just like the way that the GS body was released in 2005 w/ a 2006 body. They're releasing the redesigned GS350 in 2011 w/ a 2012 body. Thats a 6 year cycle.

The IS350 is also released in the same year as the GS, so shouldn't we expect to see a redesigned IS350 in Lexus Dealerships in 2011 w/ a 2012 body?
Old 10-13-10, 01:22 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MBTC

For those that tend to keep a car 6-8 years or over 100k miles, the last year of production is the best year to buy. For those that keep a car less than that, then I'm glad you're rich enough to throw large sums of money away without regard for retirement, your kids college savings, etc

There is also no guarantee that the newer model will be more attractive than the prior one. Look at the current Acuras compared to the generation prior for example.
The next car I buy, I want to buy it brand new, so I expect to keep it for a long time, and wouldn't expect to sell it. I take care of the things that I buy, so for me to drive 100k miles, it would take around 5-6 years. With Lexus' reliability, I know that with the car well taken care of, it will last for another 100k-200k miles, easily.

I completely agree with the Acuras. The new TL looks horrible, the previous body with the all red tail lights looked so much nicer.
Old 10-13-10, 01:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

There is no way Lexus would heavily facelift the 2011 model, only to have it for sale for one model year. This has never happened with any past car. As mentioned above and in some other topics, the next IS will debut sometime in mid to late 2012, as a 2013 model.
I agree, the last few years of a model are more reliable. But don't forget about how resale values take a bigger hit compared to earlier model years. The car is outdated in a very short time. So if you add up all that, the value may be a wash as far as recalls and TSB's.
Old 10-13-10, 01:43 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There is no way Lexus would heavily facelift the 2011 model, only to have it for sale for one model year. This has never happened with any past car. As mentioned above and in some other topics, the next IS will debut sometime in mid to late 2012, as a 2013 model.
I agree, the last few years of a model are more reliable. But don't forget about how resale values take a bigger hit compared to earlier model years. The car is outdated in a very short time. So if you add up all that, the value may be a wash as far as recalls and TSB's.
How sure are you about the 2012 release of the 2013 model?

It's just, I donno. The GS is having a redesign, and it will give it a 6 year cycle, and I figured the same would happen to the IS, since they were both released the same year, and I figured they would both have a redesign in the same year also.
Old 10-13-10, 01:58 PM
jay-b
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to bash you, but if you had your car repo-ed i hope you have a good down payment, im sure that repo hurt your credit. I love cars too, and when i was your age i went through cars like crazy selling and trading in cars, but realized it wasnt worth it, because most of the time i would sell the cars because payments caught up to me and didnt want bad credit reports/late payments/repo. But then again you could have a better job then me when i was 24....If you can just stick with CPO used and get a fully loaded IS350, the newer models only changed the front, rear bumpers and the led lights...other then that nothing to drastic..ohh and the is-f blue color option.
Old 10-13-10, 02:35 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

I think the Repo did hurt my credit score, but I'm slowly working on fixing it. The downpayment i put on the lease was $2200 or $2500, and it cost me $339 a month, or around $368 (including tax). It was just a bit too much.

But, I'm hoping to get my old job back, and its going to have more pay. $10 an hour. I left the company with $11.50 an hour 2 years ago, but if they rehire me, I'm hoping I get what it was when I left. But with $10 an hour, and 32hrs a week, I should be making
$1,155 a month (after taxes) or with $11.50 an hour, should be $1,325 after taxes.

I plan on spending $300 for credit card payments a month (damn 29.99% apr, ruinin my life), less than $100 for phone payments. I'm hoping to spend less than $500 a month for a car. I do plan on saving $400 a month for at least a year or 2, having anywhere between $4,800-$9,600 saved up. Obviously its not all gonna go towards a down payment. Just $2,500. The rest should be there to make the payments for the car, in case, God forbid, my hours get cut.
Old 10-13-10, 03:29 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

*raises hand* Old person here.

With your calculations, I'm guessing that you are living somewhere that has no rent payment. Keep in mind that for the duration of your loan (should you decide to keep it) you will (unless you get a raise or better pay) have to keep your lifestyle the way it currently is.

Will you move somewhere else and have to pay rent, utilities and food?
Will you have an SO that will occupy some of your paycheck?
Will you be continuing school (less time for work)?
Will you be wanting any more expensive toys (motorcycle, perhaps?)

Always always always have emergency money stashed away. My rule of thumb is to have at least 1/3 of your paycheck put into savings.

Quick Reply: 2012 is