IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Is Your IS a RWD or AWD?
It's RWD and I Love It!
56.25%
It's AWD and I Love It!
32.29%
It's RWD but I Want AWD..
5.21%
It's AWD but I Want RWD..
6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 02:04 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not usually, no.

If you're trying to corner at 90 mph, and floor the gas on poor tires you might be I guess.

I've had no problems with my RWD 350 on good tires though in the rain when driving intelligently... (nor any previous car in the rain with good tires when I had under 400 hp)

Somewhat better case here... but again it comes down to how you drive and the tires you use. With good snow tires (not all seasons) you've got quite a lot of traction with just RWD in a lot of snow conditions.

Driving intelligently with good tires I've never had much trouble getting around in snow... again even in Canada, with a car much less advanced and with a bigger engine than the IS350.

But if you're trying to do drag racing in the snow, or get by with just some all-seasons, yeah, that would probably leave you traction-limited even with only 300 hp.

Still, in most cases, for most drivers, most of the time, they're not traction limited.... so AWD does them no good, while killing performance and mileage.

Giving up performance and mileage 100% of the time for something that might give a slight advantage in cases that 99% of the time you're not in seems like a poor trade to me.

Now, if you live someplace is actually snows the majority of the time (which is almost no where any 2IS driver lives) and/or you prefer to drive like a complete maniac in all weather conditions, the trade might be of more value to you. But very few folks who actually get talked into AWD cars are really in that situation.
You cant argue that in rally, 4wd cars are a lot easier to drive than RWD cars

Its personal preference really, lots of BMW here get up in snow banks during the winter even with their non summer tires.

Its such a moot point to compare past and present though, car gets better as years go by, driving has become an experience covered in comfort and luxury as opposed to driving back in 1910 where you need a goggle lol. Probably took more skills back then to drive, but then again for the most of us on Earth driving isn't about who has the most skills anymore.
Old 10-14-10, 10:28 PM
TicDatDo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have AWD and I live in Des Moines. love my ISAWD drives great in the snow. Also drove the RWD loaner from the dealer in the snow. The RWD drives fine in the snow also. Some slips here and there but overall great drive. If you have experience driving in snow or sleet then your fine with a lexus
Old 10-14-10, 10:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
You cant argue that in rally, 4wd cars are a lot easier to drive than RWD cars
Sure... because rally races run on all kinds of surfaces besides paved roads- gravel, dirt, snow, ice, etc.... heck historically rally racers often had no idea what was coming up around the next turn on a given course... (though that's changed mostly).

Not terribly relevant to most folks normal street driving experience though.
Old 10-15-10, 09:31 AM
LEXtegra
Driver

I don't think the AWD is better. It just was the smarter choice for where I am stationed at and will be stationed at in the future. Its non-stop snow in the winter and nothing but hills on base where I'm stationed now. I mean its the 250. Not the 350 or the F. So it doesn't matter if its the AWD or RWD. Neither one is speed blistering fast lol. But it is cool to have in Germany because they don't have AWD as an option. And driving skill doesn't really help on hills. Especially if you have to stop behind another moron that has a RWD car and doesn't know how to drive and or doesn't have the proper tires on their car. So for me AWD was the way to go.
Old 10-15-10, 12:06 PM
08ChrIS250
Driver

I have AWD... i dont need it. Only issue I have with AWD is the lack of aftermarket parts available for it and ride height... ie.. catback exhaust, coilovers, headers, wheels, etc..
Old 10-15-10, 01:07 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
AWD is just great in bad weather, no matter what anyone here says about proper tires blah blah, no one here has driven at highway speeds with confidence, in a blizzard, with summer tires
I know this is partially in jest, but what happens when you have to brake on summer tires, in a blizzard, from highway speeds?

Considering the tires are the only part of the car touching the ground, they're rather important (sad to say, but many people mistake AWD as a substitute for proper tire attention, which bites them on everything from MPG, in the warm months, to 'complications' in the cold ones).
Old 10-15-10, 01:30 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I know this is partially in jest, but what happens when you have to brake on summer tires, in a blizzard, from highway speeds?

Considering the tires are the only part of the car touching the ground, they're rather important (sad to say, but many people mistake AWD as a substitute for proper tire attention, which bites them on everything from MPG, in the warm months, to 'complications' in the cold ones).
I would obviously end up with my head 10 feet away from my body in the most likely scenario Thankfully no one was driving as fast as me so I was opening up the highway for the snow plow and 18 wheelers, I knew the road real well as so I had plenty of time to slow down, I kept at least 1000 ft of space between the next car and me when I came into traffic as well.

I was caught about 50 miles from where I need to be that day, and if it werent for the awd I would of been sleeping in my car by the road for the next 2 days because that was how bad that storm was.
Old 10-15-10, 02:08 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

I'm all about AWD for a daily driver. It's trendy too. Any power lost from the IS AWD system can be made up with bolt on mods such as Intake, Headers & Exhuast.

Your're stuck with the driving dynamics however.

If I had a weekend car (IS-F perhaps) RWD would be fine. Sure makes dyno testing cheaper and easier too.
Old 10-15-10, 07:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaugster
I'm all about AWD for a daily driver. It's trendy too. Any power lost from the IS AWD system can be made up with bolt on mods such as Intake, Headers & Exhuast.
Course, they don't make AWD headers...though PPE is supposedly about to work on some

But I assure you on an IS250 you're not gaining 4/10ths of a second 0-60 with the few bolt ons available... (and that's how much slower the AWD system makes the car)

The AWD performance hit is less painful on the 350 (.1 seconds slower 0-60, .2 slower 1/4 mile) and you can probably make that up in bolt ons... or just be faster still with the RWD and bolt ons.

The AWD besides the performance hit also takes a hit to turning radius, and of course a 2-3 mpg hit in gas mileage too.... plus cost several grand more than the RWD version.

All so you can take off up hill slightly better than RWD with good snow tires for the small % of the year there's snow on the ground.

But if that math sounds good, go for it

(personally if snowy hills were that bad an issue for a couple months a year I'd take the several thousand bucks I saved buying the RWD IS and get a 4WD beater pickup truck... it'd come out the same cost, and I'd also have something I could actually tow or haul stuff with if I needed it...plus care a lot less if even the 4WD/AWD didn't save me in bad weather and I hit something).
Old 10-16-10, 11:16 AM
LEXtegra
Driver

I love my AWD. Because thats what I wanted to get. Why? Its not a rocket ship no matter what model AWD or RWD. Speaking strictly on the 250 not the 350, of course. I knew that there was not much available as far as bolt on goes for either, i mean nothing that adds 20-30 horsepower. And that there was no real boost options for either as well. All of which is good for me because I'm a mod freak lol. And I have pretty much everything on it performance wise already. And my bank account is now thanking me for picking the AWD . I mean I could have got a EVO or STI if I was obsessed with going fast from stop light to stop light. But I do 130mph just fine on the Autobahn in my AWD all day long.
Old 10-16-10, 12:03 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Course, they don't make AWD headers...though PPE is supposedly about to work on some

But I assure you on an IS250 you're not gaining 4/10ths of a second 0-60 with the few bolt ons available... (and that's how much slower the AWD system makes the car)

The AWD performance hit is less painful on the 350 (.1 seconds slower 0-60, .2 slower 1/4 mile) and you can probably make that up in bolt ons... or just be faster still with the RWD and bolt ons.

The AWD besides the performance hit also takes a hit to turning radius, and of course a 2-3 mpg hit in gas mileage too.... plus cost several grand more than the RWD version.

All so you can take off up hill slightly better than RWD with good snow tires for the small % of the year there's snow on the ground.

But if that math sounds good, go for it

(personally if snowy hills were that bad an issue for a couple months a year I'd take the several thousand bucks I saved buying the RWD IS and get a 4WD beater pickup truck... it'd come out the same cost, and I'd also have something I could actually tow or haul stuff with if I needed it...plus care a lot less if even the 4WD/AWD didn't save me in bad weather and I hit something).
It does appear that PPE will be making headers for AWD soon but nothing yet I suppose. So including that option, I can confirm that my AWD is equal in speed when compared to a auto 2WD. I'm 0.2 - 0.3 tenths improved based on 1/4 mile time slips with corrected DA.

My guess is that your data is coming from Lexus' website but we all know how 'Correct' that info can be. If you don't want to spot me a tenth then shame on you...

Dragtimes.com has mine info plus an auto and a manual tranny. It is interesting how the other auto car has a slower 60' (foot) time and lower MPH but still has a slightly better ET. Probably weight difference. To bad he didn't list weather info.

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

Turning radius on the AWD IS is great. Had a rental Mazda6 (FWD) with terrible turning radius. I couldn't park it to save my life.

Last edited by Gaugster; 10-16-10 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-16-10, 02:03 PM
Bobby206
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RWD is the way to go. If I wanted AWD I'd get an small suv.
Old 10-16-10, 03:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

It does appear that PPE will be making headers for AWD soon but nothing yet I suppose. So including that option, I can confirm that my AWD is equal in speed when compared to a auto 2WD. I'm 0.2 - 0.3 tenths improved based on 1/4 mile time slips with corrected DA.

My guess is that your data is coming from Lexus' website but we all know how 'Correct' that info can be. If you don't want to spot me a tenth then shame on you...

Dragtimes.com has mine info plus an auto and a manual tranny. It is interesting how the other auto car has a slower 60' (foot) time and lower MPH but still has a slightly better ET. Probably weight difference. To bad he didn't list weather info.
Yeah it's lexus data but while I agree they underestimate times there's no reason to think they underestimate one car of theirs more than another...

As to the drag results, I'd wanna see more than 1 or 2 comparison cars, or at least insure they were comparing fair baselines (same weather, same tires, same vehicle weight (fuel, contents, driver), etc... Any of those things can change results by a few tenths all on their own.

Point remains the RWD with the same bolt ons will still be 3-4 tenths faster, and still get 2-3 mpg better mileage.

Turning radius on the AWD IS is great. Had a rental Mazda6 (FWD) with terrible turning radius. I couldn't park it to save my life.
Turn circle is almost 2 feet worse on the AWD 250 compared to the RWD... while that is from lexus data I doubt they have much reason to underestimate turning radius data

I don't doubt it might be better than the turn on other cars though, but it's not really relevant to comparing the same car in AWD vs. RWD
Old 10-18-10, 09:12 AM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD Has its place

I went from a 335i to an IS250 AWD. I wanted a 350, but winter in Utah with a 300 hp RWD car, even with snow tires, isn't all that confidence inspiring and is occasionally downright scary. If the IS350 AWD had been out, I would have gotten that though. I like AWD; you can't hang the tail out, but it corners like its on rails.

On the 335i, the AWD is faster to 60, but slower in the 1/4 mile as it gets a better start but the added weight catches up to it.