IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lowering 2010 AWD IS250

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 09:03 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lowering 2010 AWD IS250

i'm curious to know why people are saying there are issues lowering the awd IS250.

on sewell F sport springs are going for around $260. Getting them installed by a shop isn't that expensive so i'm looking at around $360 installed.
the issue is, i've heard people say the reason why they got the rwd is cause they wanted the F sport package. why can't we get the F sport package on the awd?

is the F sport springs the best to lower the awd on?
or are there better recommendations for the awd?

thanks!
Old 10-18-10, 09:20 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F Sport is a good choice and your warranty will still be intact with them installed on your car because they are an authorized Lexus product. I met a guy a while back who had them on his AWD and he had over 36k on them and never had a problem, ran smooth. I say go for it!
Old 10-18-10, 09:25 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
F Sport is a good choice and your warranty will still be intact with them installed on your car because they are an authorized Lexus product. I met a guy a while back who had them on his AWD and he had over 36k on them and never had a problem, ran smooth. I say go for it!
thanks man!
i'm seriously considering it

but a friend at the lexus collision center said it has been said that F sport springs aren't recommended on the awd.. something about not being balanced?
didn't get more info tho

that's why i'm trying to do some research at a place where i'm sure a lot of people have tried different alternatives
Old 10-18-10, 09:30 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

I don't see why it wouldn't be balanced....? I don't think Lexus would make a product not compatible for the 250 when its made for the 250. Call them up and get more info.
Old 10-18-10, 09:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

a spring is a spring. there is no difference between an awd spring or a rwd spring with the exception of possibly the spring rates which isnt going to make a difference.

if you can get it installed for $100 bucks, that very cheap. you'll also need an alignment when its done too.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 10-18-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-18-10, 09:56 AM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pay a little more to get the BC Racing Coils
Old 10-18-10, 10:21 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I think your friend is telling you won't get a even drop. Due to the C-bracket for the front axle on the AWD that the RWD don't have. That were you front end will sit higher then your rear end. Making it look unbalanced so best bet are coilover for the AWD.
Old 10-18-10, 10:46 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kenny_evo
Pay a little more to get the BC Racing Coils
+1^^^
Old 10-18-10, 11:00 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
here's the fine print:

F Sport™ Equipment is warranted for 12 months from the date of installation or for the balance of the new-car or Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty in force at the date of installation, whichever is greater, when installed by an authorized Lexus dealer. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. F Sport Equipment installed by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer is warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase only, and the warranty coverage is limited to the replacement value of the F Sport Equipment. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. Part failure caused by improper installation by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer may void the F Sport Equipment warranty, the new-vehicle warranty or both.
(from http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/f-spo...l#disclaimer_2)

thanks for reading.
Old 10-18-10, 11:24 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

We carry the BCR coilovers for the AWD IS/GS cars. If you are inter3sted or want some more info just shoot us a PM
Old 10-18-10, 02:10 PM
Maxx250awd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im on the Tein s-techs...love em! I couldn't be happier.
Old 10-18-10, 02:12 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
We carry the BCR coilovers for the AWD IS/GS cars. If you are inter3sted or want some more info just shoot us a PM

^^^ Awesome prices!
Old 10-18-10, 03:50 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9ReE-8c2E
This is the best awd suspension. lol I had springs, bcr coils, and now air on my awd. air is personally the best due to it being a closer to stock ride with any height you want at the click of a button.
Old 10-18-10, 04:09 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

thanks for all the feedback guys~

perhaps laobo979 is right about the unbalance
sorry about the lack of knowledge.. but why would coilovers be different from springs in the case of the awd? how would coilovers overcome the unbalanced issue?

PaPaHoFF! air suspension is crazy! i assume it's the most expensive out of all the suspensions available?
are there any risks to it? as in.. electronic failures causing the air to release all of a sudden?
or since you can adjust the height at such ease.. will there be mechanical wear and tear quicker than springs and coils?
Old 10-18-10, 04:26 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coils can fix the unbalance issue by manually changing each corner's ride height. However I dont know if its an unbalance if it was designed that way by the OEM.

No idea about reliability of air, but I do know its common for the air pump to not work properly or a vale is broker and you don't have enough air to pump the car back up to driving ride height

Also, in cold weather, the air inside your compression tank condensing and freezing is a sure way to put your car out of commission if not knocking out your air ride for good.

Quick Reply: Lowering 2010 AWD IS250