IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Valve Spring Recall - $$$ Bonus

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 09:00 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, that is me. A whining cry baby who is out to GET them. Clearly that is me. Oh, and I want something for nothing too.

By the way, I just dropped off a nice Christmas gift to my service adivsor. Obviously I hate my dealer too.
Old 12-17-10, 09:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
You may think $500 means nothing to Lexus but it all comes off the bottom line, its real money, and last I heard Toyota lost money last year.
Toyota did lose 4.8 billion the previous fiscal year... after a 17.7 billion profit the year before...But then MADE 2.3 billion in its most recent fiscal year:
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may...oyota-20100512

and had a 3.6 billion profit from April-Sept of this year (most recent results reported)...

That 4.8 billion was their only fiscal year loss in 60 years, and it was tiny compared to the profits of the years leading up to it. Typically they've got 20-30 billion in cash sitting around at any given time.

The valve spring recall is 138,000 cars... if they gave 100% of them $500 cards that'd be 69 million bucks. Or only about 0.3% of the minimum cash they usually have on hand.

So while I agree going nuts over not getting the free $500 is over the top, Toyota could certainly have afforded it.
Old 12-17-10, 12:23 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well said Evitzee, I'm with you buddy.

all I know is next time I'm buying or leasing a car,it's not gonna be based on getting/not getting the gift card.
Old 12-17-10, 12:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Lexustom If you do have the Extended 100k warranty then yes they owe you the $500 back.
Old 12-17-10, 12:52 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Originally Posted by laobo979
Lexustom If you do have the Extended 100k warranty then yes they owe you the $500 back.
Thank you. A lot!

We shall see what we shall see.
Old 12-17-10, 03:17 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought in my 08 350 for the valve spring replacement recall. And I have received the $1500 certificate for new car purchase. I wish I could use the certificate on modification instead.
Old 12-17-10, 07:15 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I just got my car back from lexus of westminster and halfway home i notice i have less gas then when i dropped off my car. I didnt get a FULL TANK. Any one else had the same situation at the same or different dealership?
Old 12-17-10, 09:44 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now all of a sudden there's no confusion about the GC program? A dozen pages of confusion and once someone complains, it's clear who gets them and who doesn't?

For the record, I won't be buying a Lexus in 2011, my plan is to buy a 2014 Lexus. So the voucher is worth $0 because I can't transfer it. But they knew the take rate would be very low so there's a touch of dis-ingeniousness right there.

For the record, my warranty expires in November 2011. Even though they said they "extended" my warranty, in effect they didn't because it expires by date long before it expires by miles (and all they did was extend the mileage only). The extended warranty gesture is worth very little to me particularly since the recall work is under warranty.

Over the phone, I asked them to keep their certificate and/or keep their extended warranty and for me only, not for the whole CL forum, give me the $500 GC instead. They declined. So now I have a personal decision to make. Lexus and I had a personal interaction (which up until now has always been perfect) and now it's my turn to decide where the relationship goes from here. Not a big deal to you since I'm not buying a car from you and you aren't monetarily affected so your response is totally understandable. Whether you understand my response or not is irrelevant.
Old 12-18-10, 10:23 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Originally Posted by kensteele
So now all of a sudden there's no confusion about the GC program? A dozen pages of confusion and once someone complains, it's clear who gets them and who doesn't?

For the record, I won't be buying a Lexus in 2011, my plan is to buy a 2014 Lexus. So the voucher is worth $0 because I can't transfer it. But they knew the take rate would be very low so there's a touch of dis-ingeniousness right there.

For the record, my warranty expires in November 2011. Even though they said they "extended" my warranty, in effect they didn't because it expires by date long before it expires by miles (and all they did was extend the mileage only). The extended warranty gesture is worth very little to me particularly since the recall work is under warranty.

Over the phone, I asked them to keep their certificate and/or keep their extended warranty and for me only, not for the whole CL forum, give me the $500 GC instead. They declined. So now I have a personal decision to make. Lexus and I had a personal interaction (which up until now has always been perfect) and now it's my turn to decide where the relationship goes from here. Not a big deal to you since I'm not buying a car from you and you aren't monetarily affected so your response is totally understandable. Whether you understand my response or not is irrelevant.
Well stated. Confusion does seem to reign. Lexus did not immediately decline my exact same request though. They said they would refer my request for the $500 to a higher governing office and get back to me within two full working days. My relationship with Lexus has been stellar up to now. We shall see what we shall see.
Old 12-18-10, 11:29 AM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

I must be the old man in the group. I remember when cars came with 12 months 12,000 mile warranty and if something broke under warranty they would fix it and it would be warrantied for the remaining balance of the original warranty. I guess that is why cars, medicine, etc. is getting so expensive for lawsuits and customer satifaction.
Old 12-18-10, 12:07 PM
06LPBS
Driver School Candidate

I called them a few days ago and told them I already had the platinum VSA and had my service scheduled for January and the lady told me I will have the $500 gift card mailed to me within 4 weeks from the date of the letter informing me I would get the warranty and the 1,500 voucher. Can't hurt to call
Old 12-18-10, 02:25 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSdriven
I must be the old man in the group. I remember when cars came with 12 months 12,000 mile warranty and if something broke under warranty they would fix it and it would be warrantied for the remaining balance of the original warranty. I guess that is why cars, medicine, etc. is getting so expensive for lawsuits and customer satifaction.
Yes you might be. Times have changed. There's a thing called competition and it's pretty intense in the mid to high tier auto industry. What you described still applies to the Fords and GMC and Chryslers of the world but Lexus has set itself apart by doing several things. This thread may give you some insight to but one of them.

If a regular car company has a recall, they fix the car for free and the customer moves on. End of story.

If an exceptional car company has a recall, they not only fix the car but also they do things to make sure the customer is still willing to spend the extra dollars to give their brand another try or to remain loyal. Car company know they have to do this if they expect you to spend the extra $$$ to choose their brand over the lower price everyday ordinary car. That's the difference.

Up until now (at least for me), Lexus has done an excellent job. In the event Lexus decides to substitute January cruises to Alaska or prepaid Tracphone cellphone service for a year or activate six months of XM radio (for people who don't have it or don't want), then the customer needs to get in the game and decide how they feel about it and it is in our best interest to inform Lexus and weigh in on their decisions.

Or you can standby on the sidelines and observe while other people do the heavy lifting.
Old 12-18-10, 02:38 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

I feel gipped, not really I am sure things will come out fine. I received a $2,000 dollars coupon but nothing was said about the $500 gift card so I am not sure if Lexus is doing that in lieu of the gift card. I do have the platinum extended warranty and I may give them a call. I made a decision to use the coupon to lease a IS250C but I found out from the salesman that they are giving every Lexus owner a $1,000 loyalty coupon until December 31, I wonder if I could use that in combination on my 2k one. I doubt it, but it does seem to lessen the value of a 2k one when every Lexus owner can gek a 1K.
Old 12-18-10, 04:53 PM
dgsvt
Driver

The $500 GC's have been a good way for Toyo Corp to help the dealerships. These GC can only be used at a Lexus dealership. If every affected car got one, that's 69 million divided by the 240ish dealerships and I'm sure that would help their bottom line. Plus it would take any sour feelings away from all affected customers if it was clear why each person got what they got. I've read that some have gotten the GC and the extended warranty. It is weird that people are getting different things. So there are GC's for $250 and $500 and there is a $1,500 or $2,000 coupon on a future lexus vehicle purchased within a year. Plus if you don't have the extended warranty you get that on the drivetrain only. So what is it... Who knows, but I got the $1,500 coupon and the extended warranty and I haven't even gotten the recall performed yet. The dealership has a 2+ month recall backlog. I have an 06 with 70K, so the warranty will be useful to a point. Would I rather have the GC, YES... I'm just praying the recall is completed and there is nothing wrong with the car afterward.
Old 12-18-10, 09:50 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
I just got off the phone with lexus and they said the only people receiving the 500 GC are people with extended warranties or people who bought CPO Lexus's. If you did neither then you are getting the extended powetrain warranty.

I don't know who you talked to at Lexus, but this is totally false. I have 53K miles on my car, do not have an extended warranty and bought my car brand new. I have the valve spring recall work done about two weeks ago and just received my $500 gift card from Lexus. I wasn't given an option to get an extended warranty.

Quick Reply: Valve Spring Recall - $$$ Bonus