IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Another recall? This one for leaking brake fluid in '06 IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10 | 03:22 PM
ssis300
Pole Position

Yeah - no need to wait on hold for a customer service rep. Register online, using the VIN and see the service history (although not AS detailed as a dealer would provide, but still you can see what's going on) and lots of useful info - including recall info.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

(Apologies for those who already know)
Old 10-22-10 | 03:24 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not in the US, it's US only ???
Old 10-22-10 | 04:13 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ldc
I'm not in the US, it's US only ???
No. It's a global issue.

Technical Question

Where is the brake master cylinder located? Does the service require the removal of the wheels to access it or is this located in the engine bay? I'm paranoid if the dealer needs to remove our $$$ aftermarket wheels and lugnuts to service the component.

Last edited by dappy; 10-22-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-22-10 | 04:21 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Registered online and did gain access to vehicle dealer service history. Thanks!
Old 10-22-10 | 04:59 PM
drlovegun
Driver School Candidate

So is the fuel pump being replaced also? I thought I read that in another article about this.
Old 10-22-10 | 05:35 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dappy
No. It's a global issue.

Technical Question

Where is the brake master cylinder located? Does the service require the removal of the wheels to access it or is this located in the engine bay? I'm paranoid if the dealer needs to remove our $$$ aftermarket wheels and lugnuts to service the component.
Yey i get that global thing, but the registration on the lexus site, for US peeps only dogg.
Old 10-22-10 | 07:42 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Between all the recalls and TSIB's on my car, I don't know if I can even consider my car to still be a 2006 model. Half of the car has been replaced!!
Old 10-22-10 | 09:26 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

^^^^^^^^ hahahaha aint that the truth.
Old 10-23-10 | 04:45 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drlovegun
So is the fuel pump being replaced also? I thought I read that in another article about this.
No, the fuel pump and brake master cylinder recalls were announced at the same time, but only the brake cylinder one applies to the IS250 and IS350.

I saw an article in McPaper (USA Today) that Honda is going to be recalling '05 through '07 Acura RL and Honda Odyssey vehicles for the same problem.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-fluid-leak/1
Old 11-27-10 | 06:26 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Have any of you had this done yet? I was going to flush the brake fluid on my own but if this is done during the M/C recall, I'll just let them do it.

Last edited by rog1206; 11-28-10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-27-10 | 07:49 PM
albis350
Driver

Got mine done a couple of weeks ago, my service advisor was stunt when I asked him about this recall which I knew cuz of this thread. Well he went ahead and put it in the service request, I got done the pedal recall, valve spring and the brakes, he said my car was the first one to get the brake recall done in that dealer. Car is running perfect until now and i am happy cuz took the brake fluid flush out of my 60k miles service jejeje...
Old 11-28-10 | 11:41 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by albis350
Got mine done a couple of weeks ago, my service advisor was stunt when I asked him about this recall which I knew cuz of this thread. Well he went ahead and put it in the service request, I got done the pedal recall, valve spring and the brakes, he said my car was the first one to get the brake recall done in that dealer. Car is running perfect until now and i am happy cuz took the brake fluid flush out of my 60k miles service jejeje...
Thanks for the info albis.
Old 11-28-10 | 07:03 PM
juncho
Rookie

Originally Posted by albis350
Excellent! I'm hitting 60k miles soon as well. I'm going to do the same and get this recall done so that I don't have to pay for the brake fluid flush.

Are you certain that as part of the recall, they will flush the brake fluid?
Old 12-01-10 | 06:33 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juncho
Excellent! I'm hitting 60k miles soon as well. I'm going to do the same and get this recall done so that I don't have to pay for the brake fluid flush.

Are you certain that as part of the recall, they will flush the brake fluid?
My car is going on Saturday for this recall and I've been trying to determine the same thing. With the testimony in here, and somebody in the GS forum stating that there was a quantity 1 of brake fluid on his invoice I think it's safe to say that there is a flush involved. I mean, I always assumed there would be because I don't see how they can remove the master cylinder and not get air in the system. It would be pretty irresponsible of Toyota to open up the master cylinder and put it back together again and not flush the brake fluid.

My car is also due for a brake fluid change, so I just want to make sure that it's going to get done so the dealership doesn't try to charge me for this service while they have it when it should have been provided as part of the recall document. So far, I haven't seen any PDF for any of the affected vehicles that outlines the recall procedure.
Old 12-01-10 | 08:17 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, since everyone keeps asking about if a brake flush is performed when getting this recall done, here is the answer:

In the TIS technical instructions for this recall, here is step 12:

12. BLEED THE BRAKE SYSTEM
a) Follow the Brake Fluid Bleeding procedure as outlined in the repair manual on TIS for the vehicle you are working on.

When bleeding the brakes after openning the system up for repairs, you simply try and remove all the air from the lines. You are not trying to replace all the old brake fluid, just the air.

So...long story short, the answer is no free brake flush.

Quick Reply: Another recall? This one for leaking brake fluid in '06 IS