Chow
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone post where to find the TSB
Old 07-21-11, 04:31 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have the part number for the pads used when the TSB was done?? im a second owner but still under the 3yr 100,000 lexus warranty because it was lexus cert. when i asked they said they coudnt do it because i wasnt original owner, is this true???????
Old 07-21-11, 05:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The TSIB is free under the original 4 yr/50k mile warranty only...has nothing to do with original owner or not, has to do with what warranty you're still under.

It's posted here-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2589689-post99.html

Note that's an old copy of it (doesn't list 2008 models, but the current version does)- but it has all the info relevant to this thread.. (the part numbers and the warranty coverage applicable)

Originally Posted by TSIB
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in
effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
in-service date.
Old 07-21-11, 06:40 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
OR...you can just use the low-dust pads and not have to hope you get the right magic mix of chemicals on your rims to try and mitigate a problem that simply vanishes with the right pads.
there is no magic mix, any car wax will do. The ones I use are known for their durability is all.
People even have success with armor all.

If you are out of warranty or are worried about potentially wearing down your rotors (no idea if this is the case or not so no need to bash me but pretty sure pads are less to replace than rotors) then it's another solution that's all.
Old 07-21-11, 07:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by embolism
there is no magic mix, any car wax will do. The ones I use are known for their durability is all.
People even have success with armor all.

If you are out of warranty or are worried about potentially wearing down your rotors (no idea if this is the case or not so no need to bash me but pretty sure pads are less to replace than rotors) then it's another solution that's all.
I've no reason to think that the low-dust pads have any impact on rotor life... (if anything I'd expect if there were any change that the low dust pads would increase rotor life, more likely is to make no change to it at all though)

Assuming your time is worth anything at all to you even out of warranty it'll be 'cheaper" to swap these on than have to wax your wheels however often PLUS still need to wash them with with soap and water every few days, as most folks on the old pads complain they're covered in dust after just a few days of use (and that's what I recall from the brief time I had the original pads on)
Old 07-21-11, 08:49 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

I haven't washed my car in three weeks and my front rims look fine. I pressure wash them whenever I wash my car.

I don't allow anyone to wash my car but me since I don't like swirl marks all over it which you will get if you let anyone else do it for you. If you go touchless then you will strip off the protection you have on the car because the harsh soaps they have to use to clean your car without touching it will remove your wax or sealant so you will have to spend time reapplying them.

Am I to assume that you don't wash your own car since your time is so valuable? If so, then go look at it in the sun sometime, then take it to a professional detailer and see how much they will charge you to make it look like my car. I bet it'll be a lot more than the cost of some brake pads, or the time it takes to do an occasional pressure wash with car soap and water...

Last edited by embolism; 07-21-11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 09:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't washed my car in three weeks and my front rims look fine. I pressure wash them whenever I wash my car.

I don't allow anyone to wash my car but me since I don't like swirl marks all over it which you will get if you let anyone else do it for you. If you go touchless then you will strip off the protection you have on the car because the harsh soaps they have to use to clean your car without touching it will remove your wax or sealant so you will have to spend time reapplying them.

Am I to assume that you don't wash your own car since your time is so valuable? If so, then go look at it in the sun sometime, then take it to a detailer and see how much they will charge you to make it look like my car. I bet it'll be a lot more than the cost of some brake pads, or the time it takes to do an occasional pressure wash with car soap and water...

No, I zaino my car. Couple times a year, which is all it needs since it's so much better than anything wax based

(even better, a touchless wash won't "strip" it if you really needed to go through one... but with the low-dust pads you never need to)

Nobody touches my car but me...and I need to a lot less often since switching to the low-dust pads... which as was my original point actually fixes the dust problem, rather than your solution which just makes living with the problem marginally easier.
Old 07-21-11, 09:22 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

zaino schmayno

touchless will strip anything (including sealants) but opticoat, cquartz, or gtechniq

I may try those pads when I need to change mine in a few years to see what all the fuss is about, but only because they may last longer, not b/c of a little brake dust...
Old 07-21-11, 09:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

zaino schmayno

touchless will strip anything (including sealants) but opticoat, cquartz, or gtechniq
Sal disagrees with you.

That'd be Sal Zaino... the chemist who invented the stuff and probably knows a bit more about it than you do.

(this is by no means an overall endorsement of touchless car washes- he doesn't like em mainly because a lot of them use recycled water... but it won't take the zaino off)

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-21-11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 09:47 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

ok so the owner of duralube goes on tv and says you can put his oil additive in your engine, then drain it and run the engine without oil b/c the duralube bonded to the metal and you believe him?

sorry man, I ain't buyin it

these waxes/sealants leave what? half a micron of whatever on the surface after you wipe them off and that's gonna last you 6 months going through touchless washes? I can strip a freshly applied and cured sealant off a car using a strong solution of Dawn dish soap, maybe a squirt or two of APC. Are you telling me the touchless wash soaps are more gentle than that?

Sorry dude, you've been driving around with nothing on your car for like 6 months each year I'm afraid...
Old 07-21-11, 09:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

ok so the owner of duralube goes on tv and says you can put his oil additive in your engine, then drain it and run the engine without oil b/c the duralube bonded to the metal and you believe him?

sorry man, I ain't buyin it

these waxes/sealants leave what? half a micron of whatever on the surface after you wipe them off and that's gonna last you 6 months going through touchless washes? I can strip a freshly applied and cured sealant off a car using a strong solution of Dawn dish soap, maybe a squirt or two of APC. Are you telling me the touchless wash soaps are more gentle than that?

Sorry dude, you've been driving around with nothing on your car I'm afraid...

Yes, I'm taking the word of a chemist whose products are world renowned and has an outstanding reputation for knowledge and honesty over yours. Especially when my actual personal experience with the product supports exactly what he and I are telling you.

No offense
Old 07-21-11, 09:57 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

none taken

I'll bet anything though that Sal is busy in his lab right now trying to come up with a resin to compete with the new permanent coatings that are currently the only thing that a touchless wash won't strip...
Old 07-21-11, 10:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

none taken

I'll bet anything though that Sal is busy in his lab right now trying to come up with a resin to compete with the new permanent coatings that are currently the only thing that a touchless wash won't strip...
Naah, his stuff already did that years ago

Originally Posted by email to Sal Zaino
Robert Martin wrote:
In this hot weather and frigid weather I like to use the new touchless car washes. How well does Zaino hold up to these tough detergents? Bob
Originally Posted by email FROM Sal Zaino
Car washes are bad in general, even touchless washes use recycled water. But you got to do what you got to do. Car washes will not hurt Zaino.
That's from July 2005.

FWIW he welcomes emails and phone calls if you're still dubious and want to ask him further about it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-21-11 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 10:21 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

wow

that's a long time to be lying to people...

here's a tip:

Duragloss 601 and 105 will do the same thing as the ZFX, Z1 + 50% of Z2, followed by Z4, 5, and 6

and it'll cost you about $20 and save you hours of your valuable time...
Old 07-21-11, 11:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

wow

that's a long time to be lying to people...

here's a tip:

Duragloss 601 and 105 will do the same thing as the ZFX, Z1 + 50% of Z2, followed by Z4, 5, and 6

and it'll cost you about $20 and save you hours of your valuable time...

Ah, so now you're calling him a liar with still nothing to back it up.. nice...

Even better, you demonstrate you have no idea WTF you're talking about by listing a bunch of Zaino products, some of which you'd never use together (ZFX and Z1 for example- you use one OR the other, never both)... and one of which (Z4) doesn't even exist.

Might explain why you think anyone spends "hours" using Zaino since you've no idea what you're saying.

You might wanna just stop before you post even less informed stuff.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-21-11 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have the low brake dust TSB done