What's my mileage? IS250 owners suvey

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 06:40 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chikoo
Data is useful in many ways.
Sometimes you need detail, sometime a high level is needed.
what I am looking for Irrespective of model year, how many miles on IS250 are the owners putting on.
Data without some type of context is not useful at all. For example your poll asks only how many miles are on a persons IS250. It does not attempt to record the year of the car or (more accurately) ask how many months the owner has owned the car. Then you have the fact that if the owner has had the car less than a year, the sample size is not great enough to calculate a proper average.

Not intentionally giving you a hard time, just underscoring the uselessness of the current poll. As someone else said, to get at the answer you want, you'd be better off positioning your question as "how many miles per month" (or year). Even that is a bit flawed because the sample size of the folks answering your poll is not as large as folks like statisticians and actuaries who have performed surveys on a much broader level and concluded the average US driver puts about 15k miles per year on a car.
Old 10-27-10, 06:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial_K
I think you should ask many many miles are people averaging a year per year. I average close to 25,000 miles per year due to driving everywhere in socal.

That will not answer the question I have.
You may put 25000 in a year and sell it off.
That does not help me.

The question is as an owner how many miles you have on your car and still an owner!
Old 10-27-10, 06:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
How can the data be useful when I say my car has 50k miles on it. You don't know if I drive it 50k miles a year or 10k miles a year. The only thing you can get out of it is my car has lasted 50k miles.. unless that's what you are looking for.

4k here.
That is exactly what I am looking for!
Old 10-27-10, 07:55 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'06 with 67K miles
Old 10-27-10, 08:04 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

That will not answer the question I have.
You may put 25000 in a year and sell it off.
That does not help me.

The question is as an owner how many miles you have on your car and still an owner!
First: "How many miles on your IS250? "

Second: "Nope. Just wanted a sampling of how much and how many. "

Third: "Yes, but does not have numbers. Like I said, I just wanted to see distribution. "

Fourth: "what I am looking for Irrespective of model year, how many miles on IS250 are the owners putting on"

Fifth: "The question is as an owner how many miles you have on your car and still an owner!"

Statistics lesson 101: If you wait until the fifth try to ask the question you are really after, your survey is by default invalid. I think your requirements are morphing as the thread goes along.

So my car has almost 6k miles on it. I've had it a little over four months. That tells you what exactly? Nothing. I could wreck it and total it next month. The car I had previously, I put 25k miles on it one year, and in the next year put less than 3k on it because I changed jobs with a neglible commute.
Old 10-27-10, 08:05 PM
mild_se7en
Rookie

08 with little more than 13k miles... i live on an island.
Old 10-27-10, 08:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MBTC

Third: "Yes, but does not have numbers. Like I said, I just wanted to see distribution. "

Fourth: "what I am looking for Irrespective of model year, how many miles on IS250 are the owners putting on"

Fifth: "The question is as an owner how many miles you have on your car and still an owner!"

Statistics lesson 101: If you wait until the fifth try to ask the question you are really after, your survey is by default invalid. I think your requirements are morphing as the thread goes along.

So my car has almost 6k miles on it. I've had it a little over four months. That tells you what exactly? Nothing. I could wreck it and total it next month. The car I had previously, I put 25k miles on it one year, and in the next year put less than 3k on it because I changed jobs with a neglible commute.
Welcome to the real world!

I know what I am after. I am not so happy as to why your are so worried about what exactly I am after! Does it really matter how I pose my question? Or should I send you my question first and then you can redo that and post it in the correct way?

This is the second time on club lexus that people are worried less about the question I am asking and more about how and why I am asking a question. Very nosy behavior if I might say so. Never had that happen before in all these years on so many forums.
Old 10-27-10, 08:24 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Welcome to the real world!

I know what I am after. I am not so happy as to why your are so worried about what exactly I am after! Does it really matter how I pose my question? Or should I send you my question first and then you can redo that and post it in the correct way?
It only matters if you actually expect credible responses. If you'd like to be ignored by those capable of carrying on a reasonable conversation, then knock yourself out.

This is the second time on club lexus that people are worried less about the question I am asking and more about why I am asking a question. Very nosy behavior if I might say so. Never had that happen before in all these years on so many forums.
I never inquired as to why you are asking a question. If you're talking about my outing of your rather senseless poll, if that scenario doesn't sound familiar then you've got an extremely short memory, because you just got trounced by several forum members in the last few days due to your "refused warranty service" post. If you're finding the overall base of Lexus owners to be slightly less interested in wasting time on frivolous posts than other forums for non-premium brand cars, it might be due to the typical demographic of a luxury car buyer and the fact many of us are busy professionals.

I really don't come here seeking gluttons for punishment or to debate things in the slightest. I come to seek and share information. I was trying to help you get your post into one of those two categories. I think my goals were too lofty.

No offense. Have a great day.

Last edited by MBTC; 10-27-10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:27 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MBTC
It only matters if you actually expect credible responses. If you'd like to be ignored by those capable of carrying on a reasonable conversation, then knock yourself out.

I never inquired as to why you are asking a question. If you're talking about my outing of your rather senseless poll, if that scenario doesn't sound familiar then you've got an extremely short memory, because you just got trounced by several forum members in the last few days due to your "refused warranty service" post.

I really don't come here seeking gluttons for punishment or to debate things in the slightest. I come to seek and share information. I was trying to help you get your post into one of those two categories. I think my goals were too lofty.

No offense. Have a great day.
Hi,

That is why I said "second" time. The warranty was the first time.

and this is a poll question, not a conversation thread.

Outing my rather senseless poll?? What is there to outing here?
It was a simple question. Answer and move on. Others are doing that. What is wrong with you?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-10, 08:46 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

The first respondent said:

"There are already a few threads with mileage and user experience. Look them up, especially if you're looking for particular comments and user feedback. "

The second said:

"i dont see where this thread is going considering that year of car/1st owner, 2nd etc comes into factor but mine is a 2010 a year old with 14k "

The third pointed you to a thread where this had already been discussed.

Then I chimed in, and a few folks (including myself) answered your poll (actually I answered it the first time I visited the thread), I simply qualified my response with the fact that you can wholly discard it on the ground it is meaningless, just like other responses to the poll. After you took five posts to clarify what information you were really after, I gave you that, so I don't understand your statement "It was a simple question. Answer and move on. Others are doing that. What is wrong with you?".

Many would say there is something wrong with you for not having realized I already answered your question, the first time as stated and the second time after you morphed it into a different question. What more could you want?
Old 10-27-10, 08:50 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I am sorry but I am not getting in to an argument with you here.

I am a simple man. I ask simple questions. Do not complicate my life with all the conundrums and if/else, beenthere/doenthat scenarios.

I am happy to answer questions and happy when I get answers to my simple questions.
But definitely not happy to dissect my question. Doing so makes the original question lose it's intent. That is exactly what is happening here. That is not the reason why I post the questions.

If you have an answer, post it and I would be happy to read your answer.
Please do not digress the original intent or presume intent of the question.

This is the same question in different forms to help folks relate the question to them.
Questions do not have to be in a rigid form.

Last edited by chikoo; 10-27-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 09:06 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Advice is what it is. I can only offer mine, to help you avoid disasters like this and the warranty denial thread which had a lot in common with this. I didn't even bother to chime in on that thread.

I'm not going to be the least bit offended if you ignore my advice, but I think if you look at my early attempts in the the thread I think you find it was fully well-intentioned. If you approached your warranty situation with the Lexus dealer (and the rest of your life) with the same logic you approached this thread, you are probably in for a long streak of denials coming from more than one source.

They make cars for simple men, who ask simple questions and want simple answers and don't have time to analyze things or be bothered with details like logic when they communicate. I think they are called mustangs or something. Have you considered a Ford lately? I couldn't resist an attempt (however feeble) at humor.

Good luck in your thread communications. I am done here.
Old 10-28-10, 10:22 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Thank you. Your good faith attempt to help out is always appreciated. But sometimes life is easier if you just answer the question and let op( me) figure out the answer that i am looking for from the responses. I am asking for data, not informatiom.
Old 10-28-10, 11:47 AM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

Bought mine in 11-08-07. It has 61250 miles on it.
Old 10-28-10, 04:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Thank you!