IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 IS350 AWD (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 12:19 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry, your lease will be up in less than 2 yrs, assuming it's a 3 yrs lease, then you can lease the new 3IS.
Old 10-28-10, 06:58 PM
jclipse250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought my IS at 20 years old
Old 10-28-10, 06:59 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just trade it in already

Edit:
Realized I sounded kind of harsh unintentionally my bad!

Last edited by JDKane527; 10-28-10 at 08:24 PM. Reason: LOL didn't mean anything by it
Old 10-28-10, 07:34 PM
TechBari
Driver School Candidate

I've enjoyed your rant, and I can sympathize. When I first went out to look at a IS 250 I wondered why they couldn't make the 350 in AWD, I was told that the engine and the all-wheel drive were too big to fit into the engine compartment. In any case I recently bought an IS 250 AWD and as many critics say it's underpowered, but I think it's just about right.

I guess all I can say is enjoy what you have, it's a fine vehicle and you're only 22 to boot. Just think of it this way, you're probably going to save a lot more money on speeding tickets than what it's worth.

But having said that I kind of fancy the IS 350 AWD as well, so my heart bleeds for you.
Old 10-28-10, 08:10 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDKane527
Did you just create a thread to complain about wanting to trade in your car yet you can't? I'm 20 too and if I could would want to trade in my car for an ISF but life is what it is. Suck it up and save towards your next car.

Or if the extra 100 hp is absolutely crucial trade your car in. Whining and complaining about it won't trade itself in.
lol rage child? look who's whining. I never said anything about trading it in, that's what others suggested. And no this is not a "whining and complaining" thread, if you read it thoroughly you would see that I'm not angry at all just amazed at how slow Lexus is. I'm pretty sure I made myself clear when I wrote "Wrong time wrong place? I guess life just ain't that fair...." and shared a video. On the other hand, anger management? Yes you need it.

Originally Posted by TechBari
I've enjoyed your rant, and I can sympathize. When I first went out to look at a IS 250 I wondered why they couldn't make the 350 in AWD, I was told that the engine and the all-wheel drive were too big to fit into the engine compartment. In any case I recently bought an IS 250 AWD and as many critics say it's underpowered, but I think it's just about right.

I guess all I can say is enjoy what you have, it's a fine vehicle and you're only 22 to boot. Just think of it this way, you're probably going to save a lot more money on speeding tickets than what it's worth.

But having said that I kind of fancy the IS 350 AWD as well, so my heart bleeds for you.
Well I wouldn't say it's underpowered, but under-torqued for sure. But then other cars in its class are the same too (c250, and the incoming g25). But it wouldn't be bad to have 300 hp
Old 10-28-10, 09:25 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
Bah, 40 years ago, 99% of cars were RWD. You should have just bought the 350 and if you were that worried, put blizzaks on it. AWD doesn't help you brake. Blizzaks on a 350 would do just fine in snow. Yes the 250 has more ground clearance but it's not THAT much.

This petrification for RWD and SNOW seems to be a real epidemic among <30 year olds. I'm 26 and for some reason, it just NEVER bothered me. I took my is350 on oem all seasons 4.5 hours away to vermont snowboarding last year. I was driving in snow for a good hour or so each direction and it was fine. You just cant drive like an idiot ya know?
yeah, I have an IS 350 and this past winter we got killed in DC/Baltimore w/ snow. But I had blizzak tires on and my car handled great. But, I've never compared head to head. And our winters are usually not too bad here so I was comfortable w/ a 350
Old 10-29-10, 07:53 AM
Nervous
Driver School Candidate

Not every AWD system is useful. For example, testing Audi Q5 Quattro vs. BMW X3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqQu...layer_embedded

I wonder how Lexuses would perform there....
Old 10-29-10, 07:00 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nervous
Not every AWD system is useful. For example, testing Audi Q5 Quattro vs. BMW X3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqQu...layer_embedded

I wonder how Lexuses would perform there....
Audi's Quattro is no longer what it used to be (The Torsen T1 system). The T3 is completely inferior (and the Haldex system on the A3/S3/TT even more inferior). Lexus doesn't look too bad compared to Audi now in terms of AWD. However, xDrive is way up there with SH-AWD and ATTESA-ETS. But this video is a little over-exaggerated, they must've turned off EDC on the Q5, so the car is sensing no torque at all.

Last edited by reyoasian; 10-29-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-29-10, 08:44 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to say that the IS250 AWD's power is adequate. It's not meant to be used as a power horse like the 350. I also heard people try to compare the 250 to BMW 3 series when it should be the 350. On the side, my co-worker who has an M3 teases me as a joke about "why didn't I get the F?!?!" lol!

Since I own a 2007 IS250 AWD, I'm quite happy the way it performs. This is considering I came from a 99 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6. Solara would be slightly more powerful because of the lighter weight, more torque even thou horse power is similar. Fuel mileage wise, IS250 AWD has better fuel economy than Solara.

The AWD is more useful around the BC / WA area with our cold winters and rain. I have seen a lot of people not knowing how to drive in those conditions creating those bad accidents.

Last edited by Sango; 10-29-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-29-10, 11:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I see this over and over and I was once guilty of this. But the bottom line and lesson is: ***There will ALWAYS be a better, nicer, and more improved model a few years down the road.*** In other words, we will never be caught up or satisfied, because every few years they improve cars and make them more desirable for whatever reason. The best thing to do is to accept this, love what you have, stop trying to keep up, and just wait for the next round when you are ready for another. Otherwise, you'll never win or be satisfied.
Old 10-30-10, 03:32 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Yep that's true. Unless someone is loaded, I bet they he or she would switch their cars every year.
Old 10-30-10, 12:37 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I see this over and over and I was once guilty of this. But the bottom line and lesson is: ***There will ALWAYS be a better, nicer, and more improved model a few years down the road.*** In other words, we will never be caught up or satisfied, because every few years they improve cars and make them more desirable for whatever reason. The best thing to do is to accept this, love what you have, stop trying to keep up, and just wait for the next round when you are ready for another. Otherwise, you'll never win or be satisfied.
Couldn't have said it any better... Yeah, I had the same problem too before.
Old 10-30-10, 08:37 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
I would have to say that the IS250 AWD's power is adequate. It's not meant to be used as a power horse like the 350. I also heard people try to compare the 250 to BMW 3 series when it should be the 350. On the side, my co-worker who has an M3 teases me as a joke about "why didn't I get the F?!?!" lol!

Since I own a 2007 IS250 AWD, I'm quite happy the way it performs. This is considering I came from a 99 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6. Solara would be slightly more powerful because of the lighter weight, more torque even thou horse power is similar. Fuel mileage wise, IS250 AWD has better fuel economy than Solara.

The AWD is more useful around the BC / WA area with our cold winters and rain. I have seen a lot of people not knowing how to drive in those conditions creating those bad accidents.
well the IS250 can be compared to 323i, possibly 328i as well but the 328 is a lot more powerful. And your co-worker with the M3 is just an idiot. I get people in 335 bashing on my IS but I just tell them to go say that to a G37, and have fun with their turbo problems.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Originally Posted by Sango
Yep that's true. Unless someone is loaded, I bet they he or she would switch their cars every year.
Originally Posted by Wunko
Couldn't have said it any better... Yeah, I had the same problem too before.
Ye, I'm not really complaining about "there is something better now, why didn't they have this before", but really I'm complaining about "it took Lexus 4 years to realize the IS350 doesn't come in AWD?" Obviously, I know the concept of "there will always be better stuff in the future", but like this is a big fail on Lexus' part, so slow on something so obvious; giving away customers to BMW and Infiniti just like that.

Last edited by reyoasian; 10-30-10 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-30-10, 08:58 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reyoasian
And your co-worker with the M3 is just an idiot.
Well I would not put it that way. He knows my intent of selecting an IS250 AWD car is for a daily commuter, which is why he was poking at me to get something more powerful lol! - I am happy with what I got with good fuel efficiently and adequate power. On the other hand, he uses his M3 for racing on the track. Has been helpful providing me good advice on the Lexus cars himself, like what to look for, tweaking the cars and stuff, even thou he is BMW guy. His car knowledge is extensive while I am just learning some of the stuff.

Last edited by Sango; 10-30-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-31-10, 08:49 AM
tfelsky
Driver

Should have bought the IS 350 RWD and got snow tires.

Quick Reply: 2011 IS350 AWD (rant)