IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 Lexus IS 250 Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 07:11 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tajai7
I just had a Viper 5701 with SmartStart remote start installed in my IS250 last night. The SmartStart phone app is pretty cool...it can do all kinds of crazy things besides start, unlock/lock, etc. from your cell phone. The module is pretty spendy though. The regular module that is needed for an IS w/o the phone app capabilities runs about $165 and the SmartStart module runs $300 -- again both don't include the cost of which remote start/security system you want to install. One cool feature is that it can keep your car running until it reaches a certain cabin temp, etc. (great for me in MN). I'm still trying to figure out everything it can do but the technology has definitely improved from the pre-2006 days of remote starters that I had installed in my ES. I'll keep playing with it and post any issues I encounter from the Viper 5701 w/ SmartStart but for now it seems to be working pretty well.

ADDED: I should also add that it took my installer a solid several hours to complete the install. He did encounter an issue with the door locks not working but after triple checking the wiring he finally figured it out. He had to reprogram the Lexus key fob too so that both remotes would still lock/unlock the car without interfering with each other. The parking lights also don't flash when you unlock/lock your doors with the Viper remote unless you ran a new wire from the module to each light. If you start the car via remote start, you have to use the Viper remote to unlock your car or your remote start will be killed using the Lexus key fob. I had the remote start set to run for 20 minutes before auto-turning itself off and the Viper remote will give you an indication oh how much time you have remaining on the remote start. If you try to take off with the car w/o the Lexus key fob, I believe it will drive for 45 seconds before killing the engine. If you have the Lexus key fob with you, the car will still keep running, it won't just die on you while driving. That's the the security feature. So it sounds like there are some complications but a good installer should be able to figure it out.

running a parking light wire to each light? now come on , what installer does that! if its a viper then lift the door cover move the fuse jumper to neg parking light output and connect it to the neg of the parking light output from switch at steering wheel. i do this method all the the and never have to run a wire outside or to several locations. it sounds like people here are not going to the right install shops. i did my whole python 5902p with the smartstart and even soldered all wires in about 3 hours total. works flawlessly everytime.
Old 11-07-11, 07:23 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by funglenn
possible to do, but then you are stuck to the factory range, which is not that great compared to aftermarket, my viper has almost a 1 mile range and two way communication.
yes the range will be terrible, but if a customer wants it that way(remote start from factory keyfob) then thats the solution. i personally wouldnt do it that way for any car. you will be doing the same amount of wiring regardless of how you install the remote start unit. and my python has 1 mile too, and unlimited range with the smartstart.
Old 11-07-11, 08:17 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

A few things--people are also not shopping around, the DSM200 Smartstart sells for $200 in Colorado WITH BASIC installation, also requires the expresskit bypass modeule of course.

I wish I could get a smartstart, but phones are not allowed in the building where I work, so having an iphone with more than a prepaid SIM is not worth it to me. I can barely get my FOB in the door so I can remote start it before I walk out the door. I wish DEI would have a web-based remote starting site instead of forcing you to have a smartphone.
Old 11-08-11, 10:49 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=funglenn;6805599]A few things--people are also not shopping around, the DSM200 Smartstart sells for $200 in Colorado WITH BASIC installation, also requires the expresskit bypass modeule of course.

I wish I could get a smartstart, but phones are not allowed in the building where I work, so having an iphone with more than a prepaid SIM is not worth it to me. I can barely get my FOB in the door so I can remote start it before I walk out the door. I wish DEI would have a web-based remote starting site instead of forcing you to have a smartphone.[/Q

it is not required to have an expreskit! a bypass yes, but any will work. and the bypass does not get connected to the smartstart unless it is an expresskit, other wise any bypass with d2d(data to data) plugs into the bitwriter port and that all!. it only takes 1 min to install the smartstart module. do it yourself and save, if you are electronically inclined that is.
Old 11-09-11, 07:05 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I just got a letter in the mail with coupons from my Lexus dealer. It said Lexus Remote Starter for your 2011 Lexus IS.

Is their an OEM option out now? I have not seen anything on their web site or called about it yet.
Old 11-09-11, 07:59 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

do u lose the feature of just reaching into your door handle to open your door when installing a remote start & alarm?
Old 11-09-11, 08:08 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
do u lose the feature of just reaching into your door handle to open your door when installing a remote start & alarm?
if you arm the alarm, then yes, because it may open, but will trigger the alarm. I rarely arm my alarm and only use the remote start feature when it is very hot or cold--if i don't use the alarm or remote start, i can still open the door with the handle.
Old 11-09-11, 08:14 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

cool thanks for the info
Old 11-09-11, 06:01 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone check it the new 2011 remote start from lexus works with the 06-10 models? I got a remote start from Luxury motorworks for my SC430 and it uses the OEM remotes. Of course though that uses a key...but if anyone could do it I bet they could
Old 11-30-11, 10:56 PM
scampbell
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my Viper 5904 Remote Start/Alarm two weekends ago. Compared to the installs I have done on my last couple cars the Lexus was a cakewalk. I got my idatalink module sent to me by linus73 (steve) who was posting above, he programmed the module for me before sending it to me so that helped a ton. He was also really helpful over the phone troubleshooting a couple issues I had. I am glad I did it before the cold weather got here because leather is cold in the winter.
Old 12-01-11, 05:44 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scampbell
I installed my Viper 5904 Remote Start/Alarm two weekends ago. Compared to the installs I have done on my last couple cars the Lexus was a cakewalk. I got my idatalink module sent to me by linus73 (steve) who was posting above, he programmed the module for me before sending it to me so that helped a ton. He was also really helpful over the phone troubleshooting a couple issues I had. I am glad I did it before the cold weather got here because leather is cold in the winter.
does your engine die when you get in the car and hit the pedal or does it just allow you to drive away?
Old 12-01-11, 07:28 PM
scampbell
Rookie

Originally Posted by funglenn
does your engine die when you get in the car and hit the pedal or does it just allow you to drive away?
as long as i have the oem key fob on me i have 45 seconds after pushing unlock on the viper remote to get in and push the brake, then i just drive away
Old 12-01-11, 08:52 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm thinking about installing a remote start myself, probably some time in spring, before the hot summer here. I had the Viper alarm installed myself (wasn't too difficult connecting the wires, but had a hard time getting the air vent and panels removed).

Does anyone know (pics or thread in this forum) how to take apart the push button to expose the wires in there for 2008 IS350?
Old 12-02-11, 10:36 PM
scampbell
Rookie

the push start button just pushes out from the back, you just take out the panels below the steering wheel, unbolt the four airbag bolts, and push the start button out
Old 12-03-11, 04:39 AM
AUTO Design
Former Sponsor

I have the viper smartstart installed on my car! Its awesome! now i dont have to worry about someone jacking my car lol. Now they even have GPS feature that you can track down your car!

Quick Reply: 2009 Lexus IS 250 Remote Start