IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Totaled :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 12:25 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fisher
I could see how you might think that but the answer is no, unless your insurance company/salvage yard are a bunch of morons. Typically when your car arrives at the salvage yard they do a full inspection. Any major components missing are reported to the ins co and the value of your vehicle goes down, down, down. If you had something like aftermarket wheels or stereo/alarm you can take that stuff, as long as you replace with all of the factory items.
I've worked in insurance for a while now, and totalled a few cars so I know my shizz unfortunately..

-Fisher
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-29-10, 01:12 PM
areukhmer
Lexus Test Driver

damn sorry to see this but at the end of day you're ok! And that what's matter the most!
Old 10-29-10, 02:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

such a shame. Sorry bro, glad your alright
Old 10-29-10, 03:30 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

wow.. sorry to see that but i am so glad you're safe... about that Camry is a V6?
Old 10-29-10, 03:56 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ankurman20
No it wasnt stolen. it was registered to the driver they caught. She didnt have any insurance though and the cop told me she was on welfare.
Damn....Glad u r ok
Old 10-29-10, 07:33 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

ohh man another one totaled, i feel your pain bro, 2 months ago my car was totaled by a hit and run driver also. i was soooo pissed. but the important thing is that your ok and lived to tell about it. congrats on your new car.
Old 10-29-10, 08:15 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trixxx519
damn bro glad u're okay
Thanks

Originally Posted by rhy
Ouch, that looks painful. At least you're okay, the car is easily replaced.

Which Camry did you get and how do you like it so far?
Yea im glad im okay. I actually love the camry. It has a smooth ride and its very roomy.

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
Awwww, I am VERY sorry. You're lucky to have walked away unscathed, judging from the damage it looks like a REALLY BAD hit. Glad you're ok and thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Can we see pictures of the Camry?
Yea it was a pretty bad hit. I was surprised myself that i was able to walk out without a scratch and didnt even get the after affect that everyone was tell me about

Originally Posted by dvo
I have a question though.
when your car gets totaled are you able to like take stuff from your car and keep it? for example, your stock rims or the navigation...etc?
No my insurance company only let me take out any parts that i installed but i would have to replace them. Unfortunately for me i wasnt able to recover anything from the car I wish i could have taken the rims but i couldnt. Its only because when they call it totaled my insurance company "buys" the car from me. Meaning if it had no wheels then id get a smaller settlement.

Originally Posted by rza8gamma
Glad to hear you didn't get physically hurt. My question is what happened to those wheels???? did you swoop them up before you said goodbye?
The wheels are gone. haha

Originally Posted by ISThree
glad everything is ok now.
sad to see you leave the IS family.

are you going to miss IS or CL family?
Yea im definitely gonna miss the CL family. I was gonna take my car to the pursuit here in so cal but wasnt able to cuz of the accident.

Originally Posted by badx33
ohh man another one totaled, i feel your pain bro, 2 months ago my car was totaled by a hit and run driver also. i was soooo pissed. but the important thing is that your ok and lived to tell about it. congrats on your new car.
Thanks. It really sucks that this happened but i got through it and wouldnt want anyone to go through it.

Heres a picture of my camry.
Old 10-30-10, 08:20 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Good to read that you are ok. I am so paranoid now because a friend of mine just got her car totaled. After some consideration, I think I will get some gap insurance to help me in the event of a situation like this. Did you have gap insurance? And did you have any of your mods insured by your insurance company? I heard that was a good way to get some of the value back out of your car in situations like this.
Old 10-31-10, 08:26 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ankurman20
No my insurance company only let me take out any parts that i installed but i would have to replace them. Unfortunately for me i wasnt able to recover anything from the car I wish i could have taken the rims but i couldnt. Its only because when they call it totaled my insurance company "buys" the car from me. Meaning if it had no wheels then id get a smaller settlement.

So when you can't replace any of the oem parts, does that mean it lowers the value of the car?
Old 10-31-10, 08:41 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

But the value of the car increases when you modify it in terms of improving it, doesn't it? As long as you furnish receipts that show the dollar value. For example, (just for easier math sakes) if you bought wheels that were worth $500 each and oem is worth $300 each that would add a $200 x 4 value.

At least that was how it was explained to me at one time. But then again that was a few years back.
Old 11-01-10, 01:04 AM
intellis
Pole Position

When ever expensive rims or any other costly aftermarket part is added I was told to call the insurance company so that they could add it to your car's value. Your premium might go up but not a lot.
Old 11-01-10, 09:31 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by intellis
When ever expensive rims or any other costly aftermarket part is added I was told to call the insurance company so that they could add it to your car's value. Your premium might go up but not a lot.
really? that would be awesome, I should go ask my agent.