Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you payed $136.03 in anti-squeal?
Old 10-31-10, 10:55 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
You may be correct that other manufacturers have the same problem, but I can only go by my experience which differs markedly from what you claim. My wife has a '07 BMW 535 xi w/67k miles. I had 89k miles on the Lexus before I traded it. Both cars are black, and there is absolutely no question that the Lexus has many more small pits and rock chips on the hood than the BMW--which has next to none. I'm not sure why, I only go by what I see. If I owned another Lexus, I would get a clear bra.
It's probably your driving styles. You probably tail-gate people in front of you and your wife doesn't.
Old 11-01-10, 05:37 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

>>>Sure, I could save money if I did the brakes myself. And I could save money if I sewed my own clothes and raised chickens in my back yard. <<<

This applies to people who can afford to. It was my assumption that you could not since you are grieving about it. I guess my ***-umption made an *** of me. Lol.
Old 11-01-10, 08:09 AM
Tony221
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nearly 500 bucks of labor for f/r brakes is insane!! especially when the rotors are new
Old 11-01-10, 09:25 AM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus dealerships are overpriced...well the one I go to is. Thank god I have a trustworthy mechanic
Old 11-01-10, 12:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

BMW used to have a reputation for outrageously expensive service and I suppose too many people complained, so guess what they now include all maintenance, including brakes, oil changes, etc for the first 60 thousand miles. When my wife recently had her brakes replaced on her BMW 5 series -the bill was ZERO, no charge. My point is if Lexus wants to be viewed as a premier brand, why can't they do the same here as BMW and not charge so much?
Because BMW charges $10,000 more for the car to pay for that "free" service.

At least that was about how much more a comparably equipped 335i was compared to my 350 when I checked.

Oh and did I mention how that in addition to the $1500 brake job, how much Lexus charged for my 60 thousand mile service, an additional $1380.48. For that I got the following:

Fuel injector service: $100.00
Injector Cleaner: 33.95
Perform Throttle body service: 80.00
Spray 23.95
Induction Service 100.00
parts 33.95
shop supplies 18.95
sub total 390.80
None of which is actually part of the 60k service, it's extra crap your dealer soaked you for because you didn't bother to check your owners manual and see what was actually called for at 60k

So again just one bill w/my Lexus for front and rear brakes and 60k service was $3085.08, while my wife's BMW cost for the entire 60 k miles was zero. Lexus is not such a good deal, especially when you add in all the maintenance cost for 5,10, 15, 30 k service, which will probably raise the total maintenance cost by at least another $2k- if you are interested in a true apples to apples comparison.

Plenty of folks have gotten a WHOLE LOT more than 30k miles out of a set of pads, let alone a set of rotors, on the 2IS... it's even weirder you'd need to replace both front and rear all 3 times too.

You probably didn't actually need brakes 3 times in 90k miles either... just like you didn't need the $400 in extra crap the dealer padded your 60k service with.

So you can't really blame Lexus because you paid for a lot of work you likely didn't need. You can blame your local dealer though, but as you say, that's his business model.
Old 11-01-10, 05:34 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't blame the guy for not going the Lexus route again considering his servicing dealership's reccomendations. BMW does offer a great service plan, but you better plan on selling it BEFORE the warranty is up.

I don't think the guy should be flamed for following the delerships reccomended services. Plus there are just some cars out of the hundreds of thousands of Lexus built that will have problems.

Infinitti is a great choice, just hope his service experience is a lot better. Hate to hear of anyone being taken advantage of whether they can afford it or not.
Old 11-01-10, 08:39 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WHITE93GT
I can't blame the guy for not going the Lexus route again considering his servicing dealership's reccomendations. BMW does offer a great service plan, but you better plan on selling it BEFORE the warranty is up.

I don't think the guy should be flamed for following the delerships reccomended services. Plus there are just some cars out of the hundreds of thousands of Lexus built that will have problems.

Infinitti is a great choice, just hope his service experience is a lot better. Hate to hear of anyone being taken advantage of whether they can afford it or not.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. It's not about the money--I own five cars including 2 BMWs. It's about what's the best value for the money and whether I feel I can trust the brand and the dealers who perform work on my cars. In this instance, Lexus simply did not meet my expectations, while so far BMW has. Again, the companies follow different business models--sure I could challenge the dealer, read the manuals, check with three other dealers before getting work done, but I don't have the time or desire to to that.
Old 11-01-10, 08:42 PM
ace587
Pole Position

89k wow thats a lot on the car. I have 38k on mine and thank God no major problems so far
Old 11-01-10, 09:29 PM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

Cars are made to be driven. Lol^^^. Changing my brakkes soon n I'm at 62k miles. First one too
Old 11-02-10, 04:15 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It's not about the money--I own five cars including 2 BMWs. It's about what's the best value for the money and whether I feel I can trust the brand and the dealers who perform work on my cars. In this instance, Lexus simply did not meet my expectations, while so far BMW has. Again, the companies follow different business models--sure I could challenge the dealer, read the manuals, check with three other dealers before getting work done, but I don't have the time or desire to to that.
I understand you completely and also feel the need to caution you that what happened with you with a Lexus can happen with any other car dealership, sooner or later. I too have had my share of problems with Lexus customer service, twice. But a little research goes a long way. I look at the whole scene this way. In order to research about my car's specific problem, I need maybe 24-36 hrs. That would save me $1000 from the stealership. On the other hand, those hrs could be spent earning as much or twice as much money. In that case, I am making an informed decision to be willing to be ripped off by the dealer and give him half of my earnings.
Old 11-02-10, 06:30 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you will see with the BMW service plan is during the time they cover the cost, it will be a bare bone oil change only, brakes when its worn thin and necessary service like most of us already are doing ourselves.

Once your four year plan is over, BMW will probably be asking you to change brake pads every major service, selling you $80 wiper blades and generally milking you dry lol
Old 11-02-10, 11:18 AM
aviator409
Driver School Candidate

brake clean? Pad Kit? fitting kit? Shim kit? grease ?

I just had all 4 rotors and pads replaced for around $400. Heres what my bill looked like:
Front Rotors $74.66
Front Pads $76.99 (ceramic, semi-ms are $40)
Rear Rotors $54.74
Rear Pads $76.99 (again, ceramic)
F Axle Labor $50.00
R Axle Labor $50.00

The lesson learned here is never go to a stealership for anything. The mechanic down the street will do a better job and won't rip you off
Old 11-02-10, 11:36 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

How do you put 89k miles on a single car when you own 5 cars If you put that many miles on a car you should have bought a Hyundai with its 10year/100,000 mile warranty
Old 11-02-10, 01:27 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I'm sorry i've read through every post in this thread and i'm starting to get frustrated. The OP "no offense" doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed. I'm sorry I know you'll take offense to it but if you can't stand up for yourself at the dealership then they will walk all over you and that's exactly what they did. you my friend threw away that money, it was not demanded of you. You don't have to be mecahnically inclined to save money. The moment the dealer told me they would charged me $1500 for the brakes, I would laugh and walk right out the door. However you probably had the work done first and asked questions later. This is my third IS, owned a 2008 IS250 AWD, sold it due to lack of power, bought a used 2006 IS350, sold it due to racking too many miles on it and and now i'm in used 2008 IS350 with 10,000 miles on it. I've reached 60,000 miles in my first 2 IS's and never paid so much for service. As a matter of fact the most I paid at once for service was $185 and that was for the replacement of my rear brakes at a local reputable shop. You don't have to bring it to the dealer, they won't do a better job than your local shop. You can't say it's because of the loaner the dealer will provide you because you have 5 cars "supposedly". You just got rapped plan and simple and now your saying Lexus is not meeting your expectations. You just don't know how to save money, did you buy your house for the price listed or buy your car for MSRP or did you shop around and haggle? Stupidity just irrates me. Sorry for my rant but i'm only 27 but i'm thankful i've learned this lesson early on in life. Hopefully you can learn it from this point forward.

Quick Reply: '06 IS250 AWD -It's time to say goodbye