IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 Brake Fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 11:32 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
You should check with the service advisor to find out. But mostly like you will get new brake fluid in the system because they have to gain access to the seal in the master brake cylinder and should theoretically change the brake fluid by procedure. I am not too sure what their recall guidelines include in terms of procedures but I suppose they would change the brake fluid upon servicing internal components of the master brake cylinder. Guess we'll just have to wait and find out. I am waiting for the letter in the mail before I head over to the dealership.
any info on this????

+2 on the diy brake flush . any one do this yet?
Old 12-19-10, 04:38 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info on this thread. I bookmarked it, and once I Find a good DIY, I'll make note of the advice in here.
Old 12-19-10, 08:58 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

I should be recieving my BBK here shortly......I'll do a big write up on it and take lots of pics when I do it
Old 12-19-10, 09:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

They're all pretty much the same. Suck the old fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir. refill with fresh fluid and bleed all four calipers starting with the farthest from the master cylinder (passenger rear) and working progressively closer to the master cylinder. Just be sure you never let the reservoir get below the LOW mark or you might introduce air into the system, then bleeding becomes a huge PITA.

Some of us installed Earl's Solo Bleeders to make the bleeding process a one person job. I have these also installed on my IS F, my Supra, and the wife's Scion tC. They're easily worth their weight in gold.
Old 12-19-10, 09:26 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Thats awesome man! Ima go ahead a buy those!
Old 12-19-10, 09:34 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just used a good brand (forgot) Dot 3 fluid when I had my BBK installed. My mechanic charged $200 for the entire install of the BBK with stainless lines and fluid flush.
Old 12-19-10, 09:41 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

I do all my own work, I don't trust anyone to work on my car. Little story why..I brought my s2000 to a local tune up shop because I didnt have time to change my oil, it was my first oil change on my s2000. I bought it brand new, I send my fiance over to get it done and gets the oil changed and leaves and calls me saying " Is the oil light suppose to flash after an oil change" I was like hell no, and told her pull over immediately and it was too late....BOOM there goes the motor on my brand new s2000..boy was i ****, the store forgot to tighten the oil drain plug...then they had the nerve to say " How do we know your fiance didnt loosen the plug?" I was about IRATE! I was like .....SHE DOSENT KNOW A BOLT FROM A NUT...MUCH LESS WHERE THE DRAIN PLUG IS....and i got a lawyer and their tone changed, so all in all it was 12k to get a complete new motor from Honda. Stupid people.
Old 12-19-10, 09:45 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wow...that's crazy! I hate when they try and blame you instead! Hey, did you have them install the new motor? LOL. I understand your thought process now.
Old 12-19-10, 09:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
I do all my own work, I don't trust anyone to work on my car. Little story why..I brought my s2000 to a local tune up shop because I didnt have time to change my oil, it was my first oil change on my s2000. I bought it brand new, I send my fiance over to get it done and gets the oil changed and leaves and calls me saying " Is the oil light suppose to flash after an oil change" I was like hell no, and told her pull over immediately and it was too late....BOOM there goes the motor on my brand new s2000..boy was i ****, the store forgot to tighten the oil drain plug...then they had the nerve to say " How do we know your fiance didnt loosen the plug?" I was about IRATE! I was like .....SHE DOSENT KNOW A BOLT FROM A NUT...MUCH LESS WHERE THE DRAIN PLUG IS....and i got a lawyer and their tone changed, so all in all it was 12k to get a complete new motor from Honda. Stupid people.
Every time I hear a story like this it reinforces why I do all my own work including full engine builds, porting, valve and seat facing...plus lots more. I just don't trust the "professionals" to do it right.
Old 12-19-10, 09:58 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Yea, I ended up making sure Honda put the new motor in. After that I never sent my car in for anything EVER again, I work on planes for a living so working on a car is 2nd nature, I learned a lot from trial and error on previous cars.
Old 12-19-10, 10:56 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

so i found a youtube video to flush out brake fluid if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQ-fv12HIo
Old 12-26-10, 07:42 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Great info on this thread. I bookmarked it, and once I Find a good DIY, I'll make note of the advice in here.
Now that a DIY vid has been posted, I think I'm ready to use this thread to take care of the brake fluid change in my '08 IS 350. It's at over 36k miles now and I had bought it new in Jan '09. I also need to take care of changing the brake fluid in my wife's 07 accord and dad's '07 CR-V, for both of those cars, the brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 3 years independent of mileage.

I'm pretty new to DIY - the only thing I do on my own is air filter and cabin air filter change. I know the DIY vid is specifically for the brake fluid change but I was wondering about the steps to get to where they are on this DIY - the other tools/parts needed to get your car ready for the procedure. ramps/jacks? pulling off wheels and brakes?

Last edited by Shahryar; 12-26-10 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 07:44 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're all pretty much the same. Suck the old fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir. refill with fresh fluid and bleed all four calipers starting with the farthest from the master cylinder (passenger rear) and working progressively closer to the master cylinder. Just be sure you never let the reservoir get below the LOW mark or you might introduce air into the system, then bleeding becomes a huge PITA.

Some of us installed Earl's Solo Bleeders to make the bleeding process a one person job. I have these also installed on my IS F, my Supra, and the wife's Scion tC. They're easily worth their weight in gold.
I went through the thread you linked and still am a little confused on what these are. Perhaps I'll understand better once I go through and do the brake fluid change itself though
Old 12-26-10, 09:53 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that have never done a fluid change on their own I would suggest getting a buddy who has done it who can walk you through the process. It's pretty straightforward but the chance of screwing it up and getting air in the system is real. And as previously mentioned do not get any fluid on the paint work.
Old 12-26-10, 01:40 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

btw - Sango.. I saw in the rest of your post you mentioned this:
Originally Posted by Sango
..I will have Lexus use this in conjuntion with the recall since I am going to get the 30K service done.
Regarding this comment of the 30k service. I don't follow package items like that thanks to Kurtz/Knightshade's nice breakdown here which it seemed many people agree on. Maybe it will help you too:

Originally Posted by Knightshade

The 2IS is really pretty easy... by the book you're looking at:

every 5k:
Oil change
(you can go much longer, safely... at least 7500 on normal oil, and at least 10-15k on any decent synthetic, 25k on Amsoil... but 5k is what the book says, the better to make the dealer money)

Every 15k:
Change air filter and cabin filter (you can do these yourself, maybe 5 minutes each, and pretty cheap)

Every 30k:
Change brake fluid- probably gonna pay someone to do this unless you're pretty comfortable working on your car... it's not super hard if you are, but it's one of those things you want to be SURE is done correctly- leaving air in brake lines is a Very Bad Thing.

Every 60k:
Spark plugs (again, can do yourself or not, depending how comfy you are working on cars... this is at least less of a "do it wrong can kill you" thing than brakes :P)

Every 100k:
Engine coolant

Oh, you'll need to change the battery in your smartkey every 2 years or so, if you want to count that.

That's about it for the RWD auto 250 and 350...

If you have an AWD 250 you'll have differential fluid changes in there occasionally... and if you have a manual RWD 250 you're the lucky one who can change transmission fluid (but will also get to change your clutch and flywheel for around $3,000 eventually)

Quick Reply: is350 Brake Fluid flush