IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

recall experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 08:54 AM
pratik_10
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recall experience

i just wanted every on here no that i went to get my car done for the valve stem recall and to get the rattle fixed when i start the car. all in all it was pretty good they gave me a r350 fully loaded as a loaner and they didnt bother me about fixing the start up rattle. the dealer was like they no its a problem and went ahead and fixed it. one bad thing the guy at the dealer made me get the pedal recall done. he was like you have to get it done by law. i would have argued with him a lil but my dad was there and everything so i had to get it done.
Old 11-01-10, 05:57 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pratik_10
i just wanted every on here no that i went to get my car done for the valve stem recall and to get the rattle fixed when i start the car. all in all it was pretty good they gave me a r350 fully loaded as a loaner and they didnt bother me about fixing the start up rattle. the dealer was like they no its a problem and went ahead and fixed it. one bad thing the guy at the dealer made me get the pedal recall done. he was like you have to get it done by law. i would have argued with him a lil but my dad was there and everything so i had to get it done.
Yeah, he was full of crap on the pedal recall... it's your car, there's no "law" that says you have to let them do it.

Hell, their own recall states clearly in the text that if you're using the correct floor mats, installed correctly, the car doesn't have a problem.
Old 11-01-10, 06:25 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

If your issue was rattle when you start up then you didn't ge the valve spring recall. Actually it's not recall at all. It's a TSB that I had done with my 2006 IS350. It's actually something to do with the cam gear and the VVTi, still an intricate job but completely seperate from the valve spring recall everyone is talking about.
Old 11-01-10, 06:35 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
If your issue was rattle when you start up then you didn't ge the valve spring recall. Actually it's not recall at all. It's a TSB that I had done with my 2006 IS350. It's actually something to do with the cam gear and the VVTi, still an intricate job but completely seperate from the valve spring recall everyone is talking about.
I am getting some odd rattling with my IS250 AWD on starts up as well but it appears to happen at random or possibly the cold starts. Not sure if other owners have experienced similar on their IS250s. Since I have not heard the rattling sound on the 350, I cannot say it is the same thing I am hearing on my car.
Old 11-01-10, 12:16 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

For the pedal recall I beleave dealer need to do it so that they are not liable if you do have issues. There just covering there *** is how I see it. But you can refuse it but it does very from dealership I think. I never did mine. But was told if I every sold the car that I'm responseable to let the new owner know.
Old 11-02-10, 11:04 AM
pratik_10
Pole Position

i went in to get the tsb and the recall fixed at one the car started to make the noise alot more so i went and got it done while i was getting the valve stem recall done. the car doesn't feel any different after the pedal recall. i think he just had the car reformatted. does the pedal recall make a big difference in the car besides the fact that they move the pedal up a little.
Old 11-02-10, 11:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yeah, he was full of crap on the pedal recall... it's your car, there's no "law" that says you have to let them do it.

Hell, their own recall states clearly in the text that if you're using the correct floor mats, installed correctly, the car doesn't have a problem.
Yep you just sign a paper saying you willfully declined the recall and it's done.
Old 11-02-10, 12:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i went in to get the tsb and the recall fixed at one the car started to make the noise alot more so i went and got it done while i was getting the valve stem recall done. the car doesn't feel any different after the pedal recall. i think he just had the car reformatted. does the pedal recall make a big difference in the car besides the fact that they move the pedal up a little.
The pedal recall involves 3 steps:

1) Replacing your all weather floor mats with crappy, thinner, ones. (This won't apply to you if your car doesn't have all-weather mats)

2) Replacing the gas pedal with a smaller pedal- You probably won't notice on the normal pedal, but if you have the sport pedals the new one looks uglier

3) Reflashing the computer with a brake override function so that at any sort of speed if the computer detects input from both the gas and brake pedal it will ignore the gas pedal (which is silly for several reasons but shouldn't really hurt you any unless you track the car in situations where being able to use gas and brake at the same time come up)
Old 11-03-10, 06:42 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

they didnt do my pedal recall, its my car, there is no law for stupidity of drivers for not securing your floormat. that recall is BS.
Old 11-03-10, 06:56 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
they didnt do my pedal recall, its my car, there is no law for stupidity of drivers for not securing your floormat. that recall is BS.
Calm down bro. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-05-10, 04:16 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Calm down bro. Better safe than sorry.
I want to know how many who have had their mats secured by the hook have moved to block the gas pedal? doesnt happen. and why wouldnt you think to throw the car in neutral, i'd rather blow up the motor, than kill myself.