IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS and ES

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 10:25 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IS and ES

A little something that I've never really admitted - but when I was car shopping I was jonesin' for an ES. But when I went to the dealership I saw a white IS350 and fell in love, ended up not getting it because it was a dog car. Searched until I found my perfect baby, Micaiah. Never did test the ES.

Well now I have my chance.

Hopefully I'll be able to get one as a loaner on Sat. But my biggest fear is I might like it. But I need to satisfy that "what if"....

Have any of you here had a later model ES or currently have one? Thoughts? Oh gee, I can't have a third Lexus. Don't let me stray. Give me reasons not to. I am a weak person.

HALLLP!!
Old 11-04-10, 10:30 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you would like its interior space compare to IS, I too was considering it, but I wanted a RWD Lexus which ES is FWD and an upscale Camry. Oh and money saver too as ES may not have many options to mod

Last edited by quang; 11-04-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 11:26 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new ES interior is very cheap, the door is hard plastic, and the wood on the console has wrinkle where it curves towards the dash by the shifter. Horrible.

Driving feels good though, nice and torque-y compared to the 250. It is also smooth as silk compare to my F sport set up, still can feel the road but not as bumpy. The turn in is not bad, just lack of steering feel and it does not turn as tight. But it feels more refined and isolated from the IS which I felt was not a bad thing.

Also got bigger seats, very comfy and very roomy inside.
Old 11-04-10, 11:31 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe a GS, but no ES for me. Rode in a realtor's ES when i was house shopping and did not like the interior, and especially didn't like the exterior. But these are all opinions of looks (which are important to my car choices), and we all think differently.
Old 11-04-10, 11:34 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm the total opposite, I wanted an IS350, bought the IS350 and loved it. But after a little over two years, I need something smoother for NY roads and my new commute.

I've had a few new ES350 loaners, and really do enjoy the soft plushy ride. Help's not to have to be on pothole patrol all the time. I think i'm getting older, and I appreciated the comfort. Good thing the GS exists, it's a good balance between the ES and IS.

ES350 Ultra with the glass top is hot.
Old 11-04-10, 11:39 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ES is an entirely different animal. It drives much, much smoother on the road. It drives like a boat on air/clouds. The ride is far less harsh. There is much more body roll, much less feedback. The ES is not anywhere near as agile as an F-sport equipped (particularly front/rear sway bar equipped) IS350.

The IS350 is deliberately made to be a sportier, harsher ride. It has much more powerful acceleration than the ES350 but comes at the cost of riding much harsher.

There is a reason why the IS350 tends to be such a hit among the younger crowds whereas the ES350 tends to be a hit for the older crowds. The median age of an ES350 driver is > 60 (64 if i recall correctly), whereas the median age for an IS driver is much much lower.
Old 11-04-10, 12:04 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never really cared for the ES, it's FWD and has a 'floaty' ride to it. Now, for some folks, that's a good thing - it depends on what you're looking for. If you want something a bit more sporty and bigger, check out the GS, it's basically a long IS
Old 11-04-10, 12:05 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont get how ES is floaty when the IS with F sport suspension is more floaty on uneven roads?
Old 11-04-10, 12:15 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just take the ES for a loaner. you might like the roominess but trust me, once you get back your 350 and press on the gas pedal, you'll forget all about the ES.
Old 11-04-10, 12:31 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
A little something that I've never really admitted - but when I was car shopping I was jonesin' for an ES. But when I went to the dealership I saw a white IS350 and fell in love, ended up not getting it because it was a dog car. Searched until I found my perfect baby, Micaiah. Never did test the ES.

Well now I have my chance.

Hopefully I'll be able to get one as a loaner on Sat. But my biggest fear is I might like it. But I need to satisfy that "what if"....

Have any of you here had a later model ES or currently have one? Thoughts? Oh gee, I can't have a third Lexus. Don't let me stray. Give me reasons not to. I am a weak person.

HALLLP!!
lol...
ok...bought an is250 for 9 months.....it was fun to drive, fun to turn the corners with, but to me honestly it was too small for me and the rest of the people i drive around in the back seat...the most important thing for me that made me sell the is250 was the space inside...and the cargo space...

so me and my gf traded in the is250 for the new model es350...boy what a difference, even my gf noticed the difference....here were the difference that we noticed...

1. imho the interior of the is felt CHEAP compared to the ES...and that's just me and my gf's honest opinion.....esp compared to the 2009,2010 IS interior, the ES felt so much more upscale and nicer...and once again...it's just MY opinion and my gf's opinion

2. the ride was so much better, i realized a few things after a while, although i like being able to take the corners hard with the IS, most of my driving (in honolulu) is pretty much bumper to bumper, and stop and go (really stressful driving, esp with the *******s out there). i enjoyed sitting in a plush, isolated, and exquisite ride. Although I do miss the fun driving dynamics of the IS, the ES was worth the tradeoff for me, and if you still are keeping your IS, the go for the ES .

3. cargo space!!!! rear passenger space!!!!...my parents and my gf's parents are older, it was really difficult for them to get in and out of the IS because of the sculpted rear door panels...secondly...the cargo space...for those costco runs....when you already have a car cover already in the trunk, the IS didn't afford much more space for any cargo, when u compare the cargo space to the ES..o-m-g...more then enough space to include quite alot of things...

anyway that's my honest opinion from a person that moved from driving an IS to an ES....I think after driving the ES i don't think i would ever want to get anything else for a family sedan, but eventually i'll get a second car that'll be a non-daily driver-fun-twisty-turny car like the IS...p.s. the es350, if you put it in it's manualmatic shifter, still gives enough push for me to give me my weekly thrills....*straight line now..no turns*

oh yea..and after reading all the opinions/reviews about the es350 being an upscale camry..ignore it...yes it rides on teh same base as the camry...but try and drive a camry and then drive an es350, SOOO different....the materials, the ride, the noise isolation...the luxury

Last edited by ekwlee; 11-04-10 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 12:38 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

You're likely to get extremely biased responses since it's apparent we all love our ISX50s here . If you like modding your vehicle and enjoy the "sportier" ride, then I'd advise sticking with the IS because there seems to be a plethora of options and information available (and members seem to constantly find new ways to modify)! If you're looking for a smoother, roomier ride and aren't interested changing the car too much, the ES might be a good choice. If you're seriously considering it, you should try posting in the ES forum to see what actual owners think!

My mom has an LS430 and I LOVE riding in it because it is soooo smooth, but I HATE drving it. It's no fun at all. So to be honest, I think you made the right choice in opting for the IS because it's more fun to drive and customize.
Old 11-04-10, 12:42 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
You're likely to get extremely biased responses since it's apparent we all love our ISX50s here . If you like modding your vehicle and enjoy the "sportier" ride, then I'd advise sticking with the IS because there seems to be a plethora of options and information available (and members seem to constantly find new ways to modify)! If you're looking for a smoother, roomier ride and aren't interested changing the car too much, the ES might be a good choice. If you're seriously considering it, you should try posting in the ES forum to see what actual owners think!

My mom has an LS430 and I LOVE riding in it because it is soooo smooth, but I HATE drving it. It's no fun at all. So to be honest, I think you made the right choice in opting for the IS because it's more fun to drive and customize.
mm...listen to him..good response!!...and me of course...
Old 11-04-10, 01:01 PM
Thr3350
Pole Position

I agree for the most part with what everyone has said. I got to drive a loaner ES for a day and I couldn't wait to get my IS back! Its a totally different car. The ES was comfortable but I didn't see myself driving it. Maybe if I was older I'd consider it. But for now I love my 4 door coupe!
Old 11-04-10, 01:43 PM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, I hope you're not married.... it's probably not for you. (j/k)

Secondly, I have driven the ES350 and several IS models. I agree (to a certain point) that some IS cars' interiors aren't up to par. I will say that certain color combos on the interior make the car look cheaper, visually speaking, than others.... but that's just my opinion.

With that said.... the ES is a very fine car - for my parents. Definitely not as fun to drive as the IS350. I look forward to every trip in the car, and can't say that would be the case had I pulled the trigger on an ES. BTW, I'm a kidless married guy in my mid-30's, so I probably am not in the target audience for the ES anyways.

Like someone said before, hit the gas in the IS and remember why we love 'em!
Old 11-04-10, 01:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ighlight=es350

Quick Reply: IS and ES