IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iPod/USB Audio - Search for songs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 03:55 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a sidenote, I stream Pandora through the Bluetooth profile on my Android and I can skip songs on the steering wheel controls - that friggin' blew my mind! Not sure if you can do that with the IPod/Iphone
Old 11-16-10, 04:06 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Just a sidenote, I stream Pandora through the Bluetooth profile on my Android and I can skip songs on the steering wheel controls - that friggin' blew my mind! Not sure if you can do that with the IPod/Iphone
Yes you can (I have the iPod Touch, not the phone). It must have been part of a decent software update though because I tried that a few months ago when I first got the car and it didn't work.
Old 11-16-10, 04:11 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Yes you can (I have the iPod Touch, not the phone). It must have been part of a decent software update though because I tried that a few months ago when I first got the car and it didn't work.
How do you stream Pandora on your ipod without a wifi connection? i have an ipod touch in my armrest (usb) and my android phone in the ashtray (bluetooth a/b).
Old 11-17-10, 07:16 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

How do you stream Pandora on your ipod without a wifi connection? i have an ipod touch in my armrest (usb) and my android phone in the ashtray (bluetooth a/b).
You have to constantly circle a block that has a Starbucks or at least big name bookstore on it.

Sorry, just messin, I couldn't resist. I have no idea about Pandora, you quoted the wrong guy

I just load my MP3s purchased from a very cheap Russian site (about 1/10th of Apple's exortion pricing) onto the iPod and use bluetooth from there.
Old 12-07-10, 02:35 PM
bonesrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusfan7
I am not suggesting that the interface be better integrated with the iPod specifically... It'd just be nice if there was a better way to search and play specific songs (i.e. on-screen keyboard) rather than scrolling through a few at a time, which can take a long time if you have lots of songs. Currently, unless you just want your mp3 player to play right through a playlist or play a random selection, the interface isn't very user-friendly.
I am with you on this one. It is such a hassle to try and find a specific song or artist because the scrolling takes FOREVER. I wind up unplugging my ipod from the usb connection and find the song I want that way. I hate to say this, but I think they could have done much better but didn't because many Lexus owners are older in age and don't use the technology as much. More and more younger people are buying Lexus and hopefully this is something that they will take in to consideration when upgrading. My husband has a Ford, and their Sync system is so much better.
Old 12-08-10, 10:53 AM
08250AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MBTC
Well I'll be dammed.

Friday night I realized that the steering controls do now work for next / previous song! This was not working the last time I tried a couple of months ago.

I'm guessing this is the result of an iPod software update? I've updated a few times since trying last.

Now I just need to figure out why sometimes it seems to go into "play fast" mode (plays fast in short bursts, like chipmunk voices).
The Chipmunk thing is because of a bad connection from your phone to car. It's a BT communication problem. Just reset the connection.

Though I'm surprised that you're having this issue. Of all of the loaners I've had (long story) none of them had syncing issues with the iphone BT.
Old 12-08-10, 10:55 AM
08250AWD
Driver School Candidate

He said he was using an android phone. So he's streaming pandora over cell service. But I like the circling the block suggestion...

"Where are we going?"
"In circles, now shut up and listen to the music"
Old 12-08-10, 03:12 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 08250AWD
The Chipmunk thing is because of a bad connection from your phone to car. It's a BT communication problem. Just reset the connection.

Though I'm surprised that you're having this issue. Of all of the loaners I've had (long story) none of them had syncing issues with the iphone BT.
Well mine is an iPod Touch (which is course is the same iOS ver and probably exact same BT code as the iPhone), but wanted to clarify.

One thing I noticed while listening to a podcast is a new icon in the lower right that came down with the latest iOS update a few days ago that lets me choose multiple BT connections, so I take that as an indication they are actively working on the BT implementation in iOS. It's been a while since I experienced the chipmunk syndrome (weeks maybe). I'm sure it's a software thing, and they may have already fixed it... I just don't know for sure if it's software on the Apple end or the Lexus end. The reason I can't possibly believe it is hardware is because a few times, I have accidentally left the iPod in the house, gone down a flight of stairs to get in the garage and driven quite a long way before reception started breaking up and I looked down and realized my car stereo was still in BT-A mode and the iPod was back in the house! The range is much farther than I realized BT would be.