IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Before and After - Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 05:34 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
People are affraid of salvage cars and I don't know why, as long as it is repaired by someone who knows what they are going it's as good as a new car just costs less. And yes people say the resale valve isn't as good, but thats because you bought a 35k car for $15k, you saved 20k and you might sell it for $9k down the road but you still saved 20k.
I totally agree with you... I problem I see is people try to sell them for a few thousand less than a clean car like its no big deal.
Old 11-08-10, 05:47 PM
BORIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work...
Old 11-08-10, 06:09 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
And yes people say the resale valve isn't as good, but thats because you bought a 35k car for $15k, you saved 20k and you might sell it for $9k down the road but you still saved 20k.
Yeah but the car you fix up was like an 07 or 06 model and you know they sale for around 15 to 20K used and non salvage. Unless this was an 10 or 11 model, you can't claim it's worth 35K.

Plus with a salvage car, no insurance will offer full coverage, only liability....if that matters.
Old 11-08-10, 06:16 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, amazing work!
Old 11-08-10, 06:17 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FsterThanU
Hahaha that's a crazy story. And I had no idea auctions/salvage yards can sell cars without keys (luckily mine came with at least 1). All I found in my car were some Victoria Secret receipts lol. Too bad you guys aren't closer. I'd always prefer another forum member to work on my car than some crook who might do a poor job or try to screw you over. And yeah there's always some extra damage when buying a crashed car. You gotta go in with that mindset. I thought mine was just the bumper, fender, and airbag but now I also need a headlight, knee airbag, bumper support, windshield washer tank, etc.
Well we buy cars buy the dozen. I've seen crazy stuff, tons of ****, money guns, ammo. Something can also be repair like headlights, if you just have busted tab's Lexus/Toyota sells the tabs or I can show you how to repair them with epoxy and a soldering gun.

Originally Posted by MashinA
Op u ever used copart.com ? ive been thinking about getting a car from there but im afraid it might have too much damage thats not listed in the auction...
Yes, you can also try Iaai.com, qcsa.com, protechauction.com I believe all of those are open to the public. Your car will alway have more damage than what is listed of shown in the pictures. The people of the auction company's just try and start the car and do a quick visual look over. They don't build cars and alot of them are women (no offensive) but they aren't the auto type. Like my car just said front end damage, driver bag blown. I took the hood off and seen the engine was pushed back into the firewall. It's just part of the business and it's a risk like anything else where big profits can be made, this is no sure deal.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-08-10 at 08:39 PM. Reason: check pm
Old 11-08-10, 06:29 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Yeah but the car you fix up was like an 07 or 06 model and you know they sale for around 15 to 20K used and non salvage. Unless this was an 10 or 11 model, you can't claim it's worth 35K.

Plus with a salvage car, no insurance will offer full coverage, only liability....if that matters.

That is not true. Let me address your first statement. I looked up other cars with the same options and mileage clean title, they are currently SELLING at $27k so I'm 17k ahead of the game. So if I sell the car for $7k when the clear title ones are worth $17k down the road I still saved $17k from the start. My car sold for $38k at Mcgrath Lexus. This isn't my first car, we rebuilt alot of high end cars and sell them all the time. I have many happy customers who refer others to me as well. We only rebuilt high end cars, which most people are not buying the car as a investment anyway.

Second statement: This is not true, you can get full coverage on any car reguardless of the title condition, the car needs to be fix before anyone will insure it though, clear or rebuilt title. Remember these cars are not salvage cars anymore, they are issued new titles under "Rebuilt" which for comparison purpose is the same as a replica Shelby Cobra. Insurance rates are not any higher or lower based on the title. Now what you might be thinking of is a loan, many banks will not issue a loan on a car with a rebuilt title because there is no offical way like kbb or black book to appraise the value of the car to the investing bank, although some do and there are ways to hide the title status from a bank for a customer who wishes to purchase a rebuilt car with a loan legally I will add. It's all in how the dealer fills out the paper work. We can simply omit the title status because it is not required to place a lean on a car. The insurance company will insure the car for the full clean title amount because you agreed to pay the same price of insurance as a car with a clean title and again there is no standard to rate the value of a rebuilt title, so it is in the eyes of an insurance company no different than a clean titled car.
Old 11-08-10, 06:54 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great rebuild. its like frankenstein... you brought it back from the dead
Old 11-08-10, 10:17 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

shiiiiett...i want to do this one day...eventually after buying a house and having my own garage...i'll just pick up a car like this...and just hone on skills by rebuilding a car...it's a nice challenge props to you man
Old 11-08-10, 10:26 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What you do, it's called ART. Fantastic, congrats on a beautiful job.
Old 11-08-10, 11:23 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 53 Posts

nicely done, where are you located in illinois bottlefed? do you do body work? i have a few dings i need to get out
Old 11-09-10, 05:16 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
nicely done, where are you located in illinois bottlefed? do you do body work? i have a few dings i need to get out
I prefer not to disclose the specifics of my house due to all the car thefts being reported lately. I'm in the west suburb's. I do do body work but if its just dents you can have your insurance civer it and you can have a paintless dent repair guy come to your house or work and fix them for free. My kind of bodywork consists or removing with a saw and welding.

Last edited by Bottledfed; 11-09-10 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-09-10, 06:58 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

get redouts and color matched chrome grille bezel. small mods that make a huge difference.
Old 11-09-10, 11:34 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

good deal but doesnt seem likely that car will last long and handle as good. thats way to much damage and a headache I would never take on
Old 11-09-10, 03:17 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flektone
good deal but doesnt seem likely that car will last long and handle as good. thats way to much damage and a headache I would never take on
What is your reasoning behind that? Why wouldn't it last long? The IS never was a good handling car to begin with, why is the handling effected when all the correct work has been done? Like I mentioned before it's all about who is doing the work. My lotus handles better than clear title ones, its even stiffer. Other lotus drivers agreed. Of course I put it on a rack and slammed steel down its chassis to stiffenthe aluminum whihc flexs to much.
Old 11-11-10, 12:54 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

how do you have the heart to buy this? just let the car REST IN PEACE...

wow....nice work. i couldn't do it even if the car was giving to me.....i hate owning something knowing this is the root of her.

good work! I Aplaud..

Quick Reply: Before and After - Rebuilt