IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Dealership - Possible Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 12:00 PM
skyraven4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Dealership - Possible Fail?

Assistant Service Manager at the Lexus Dealership in Grapevine states that there is an updated TSIB for the brake pads for the 2007 Lexus IS350 that states "If your breaks are under 5mm, the brake pad replacement is nullified". My break pads are currently at 3mm.

However, I have looked up the BR002-06 and it does not appear to have that listed on any part of the TSIB. I have ~47k miles on this vehicle and am wondering if this guy is telling the truth or if he plainly wants my money.

I may be looking at the wrong TSIB though, so any suggestions would be nice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-BR002-06.pdf (18.5 KB, 200 views)
Old 11-10-10, 12:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My suggestion would be to insist he show you the TSIB that says that, because none I've ever seen does.
Old 11-10-10, 12:31 PM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go to same dealer and do wat kurtz said. They try to pressure u to spend but I always deny the unnecessary. If something can be paid for by them I want them to pay. Good luck.
Old 11-10-10, 12:34 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard the same thing from my service adviser - if your pads are really worn down that exempts you from the TSIB because then they're just paying for a wear and tear replacement.
Old 11-10-10, 12:48 PM
VPIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
I heard the same thing from my service adviser - if your pads are really worn down that exempts you from the TSIB because then they're just paying for a wear and tear replacement.
Oh yea. That was me. I didn't wanna pay but I have a lot to do and don't have time to do it myself or shop around. I ended up just doing it. Free car to drive around anyways.
Old 11-10-10, 12:53 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

hmm I'm taking my car in friday morning for that and cold start up noise. I'm really hoping they don't give me a problem
Old 11-10-10, 01:13 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Well it makes sense that they wouldn't replace it. Your obviously in it for free brake pads and not the real issue which is excessive brake dust. The reason I say this is because you already drove the car for 47,000 miles and dealt with it. Would you go to a nice retaurants and complain about how your steak is undercooked and want a new one and only have a bite left? They would laugh at you.
Old 11-10-10, 02:04 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Yes I heard the same as well from my advisor and he specifically said as long as it is above 5mm - Since I purchased the car a week before I brought it to service, it did not really matter since the brakes were still new. I eventually did mine a week later since I was thinking about it as at the time I was complaining about the brakes being too powerful - however the TSB wouldn't cover it under that but under brake dust. I changed it a week later as I notice the brake dust issue and it made a difference in terms of how the brakes felt.

Originally Posted by meangene
hmm I'm taking my car in friday morning for that and cold start up noise. I'm really hoping they don't give me a problem
Should be good, I had mine done for the start up issue too. Engine sounds better during start up (more vroom), and the same for engine the shut down as the car would rattle once a while during it.

Last edited by Sango; 11-11-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-10-10, 09:38 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Well it makes sense that they wouldn't replace it. Your obviously in it for free brake pads and not the real issue which is excessive brake dust. The reason I say this is because you already drove the car for 47,000 miles and dealt with it. Would you go to a nice retaurants and complain about how your steak is undercooked and want a new one and only have a bite left? They would laugh at you.
I agree this comment.. The car had 47,000 miles and the pads are 3mm.. You will have to paid for it because the pads are under then 5mm.. U gotta accept it...
Old 11-10-10, 11:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

When this TSB first came out back in the day, it was well noted to have it done early on and not wait. My dealer mentioned they would take care of it as long as I wasn't over 5000 miles.
Old 11-11-10, 05:51 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
When this TSB first came out back in the day, it was well noted to have it done early on and not wait. My dealer mentioned they would take care of it as long as I wasn't over 5000 miles.
I just picked up my 2007 is250 and i've personally put less than 3000 miles on it. I'm at 31,xxx miles I hope they don't give me a problem tomorrow.
Old 11-11-10, 08:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what my dealer states:

We would be happy to have one of our service advisors take a look at your brakes. According to the TSB you have to have at least 7 millimeters left on your current brake pads in order for us to replace them.
Old 11-11-10, 08:53 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chikoo
I guess I'll just wait and see what they say tomorrow
Old 11-11-10, 09:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
And again I'd insist they show you that in writing

Since we've now had multiple folks claim their dealer said it listed a min. spec, but then they listed different specs, I suspect the dealer is just making that up.

Especially since the actual TSIB that has been posted here says no such thing.

If there's now magically an updated version that does surely someone can produce a copy.

FWIW, brand new pads are only 12.x mm thick (12.5 on the 350, 12.2 on the 250) so 7mm is especially hard to believe as a "minimum" since they're still in their first half of their useful life.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-11-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-11-10, 10:30 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took the car to the dealer. Turns out previous owner had rotors and brake pads replaed-non lexus.!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealership - Possible Fail?