IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECTpower unlocked

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 08:52 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL! Why would Lexus electronically limit the amount of horsepower a car produces (fuel efficiency reasons aside)? Maybe this OP is a girl and the male tech was trying to impress her? That's the only thing I can think of to explain this.

Thank you Kurtz for clearing up some of the misinformation in this thread. Beat me to the punch.
Old 11-15-10, 09:05 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
get ur flame suit on wolverine
Flame suit on.

I'm surprised no one corrected him on dino when it's dyno
Old 11-15-10, 09:19 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You should stop posting now.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

For a 1/4 mile run
This is where I stopped. Didn't think this was a drag race discussion. I thought the topic was gaining power..... O well pat yourself on the back you successfully corrected someone on the internet. Thumbs up to you bro.
Old 11-15-10, 09:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine
This is where I stopped. Didn't think this was a drag race discussion. I thought the topic was gaining power.....

You don't think power is relevant to drag racing? (not to mention the rest of my post went on to discuss more than just that)

In any event, despite the clever name on the button, ECT-PWR mode does not, ever, add any "power" to the cars output. The rest of the post, which you say you skipped, would've filled you in on what it does do.
Old 11-15-10, 10:06 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Raralith
- WOT on ECT Power = Not optiminal because it will shift late so you are hugging the power band too long
Isn't the problem with ECT power that it doesn't hug the power band enough? i.e. it shifts too early under WOT, skipping the tail end of the power band.
Old 11-15-10, 10:22 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brociouz
LOL! Why would Lexus electronically limit the amount of horsepower a car produces (fuel efficiency reasons aside)? Maybe this OP is a girl and the male tech was trying to impress her? That's the only thing I can think of to explain this.

Thank you Kurtz for clearing up some of the misinformation in this thread. Beat me to the punch.
Acutally my Volvo S60R had an limiter on it. The manual tranny version always pumped out the full 300 HP and full torque, while the auto version pushed less torque due to an electronic limiter -- the reason was the 5sp auto transmission could not handle the extra torque created by the extra few HP, thus why they changed the auto tranny later on to a 6sp auto. removing the limiter gave you more power, but threatened the tranny! Granted that was a torque limiter, but the HP and torque are inter-related, I don't see how one can be limited without limiting the other.
Old 11-15-10, 10:31 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raralith
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+wot+stand+for

And in case you don't even know what throttle is -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throttle

Not sure if you even are reading the topic we are talking about, but let's get you up to date:
- WOT on ECT Snow = Not optiminal because it will shift early so you don't get the last bit of the power band
- WOT on ECT Power = Not optiminal because it will shift late so you are hugging the power band too long
- WOT on normal = The computer will shift at the perfect point
So, if you got 3 identical cars with the same exact whp, you each put the car in different settings, you'll see that you will get different results. Use the search function, this has been discussed a lot of times already...
Things a good old Manual gearbox fix.
Old 11-15-10, 10:34 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by funglenn
Acutally my Volvo S60R had an limiter on it. The manual tranny version always pumped out the full 300 HP and full torque, while the auto version pushed less torque due to an electronic limiter -- the reason was the 5sp auto transmission could not handle the extra torque created by the extra few HP, thus why they changed the auto tranny later on to a 6sp auto. removing the limiter gave you more power, but threatened the tranny! Granted that was a torque limiter, but the HP and torque are inter-related, I don't see how one can be limited without limiting the other.
Wow, engineering fail on Volvo's behalf there. At least they eventually fixed it.
Old 11-15-10, 10:43 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are quite a few cars that actually do electronically limit the available horsepower. the BMW 6 series is a classic example.

the is350 is not one of those cars, though.
Old 11-15-10, 10:47 AM
IS350rock
Driver

I'm a dude and idk why he told me but dyno said their was no HP gain Dosnt really bother me didn't cost me anything so yeah thanks for the info though I'm not really a car guy I build small blocks for fun. If I ever figure out how to post videos and pics I'll post some of my car and some races I havnt lost one yet 8-0 I take pride in beating 2 of my older brothers one has a a mach1 with headers a slp loud mouth close race but I won by a car and my other brother I walked all over him in this stupid civic with gsr swap I have yet to race a new camero oh ya and srt challengers don't got **** on is350
Old 11-15-10, 11:08 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the new camaro will womp on you, dont even try
Old 11-15-10, 11:16 AM
Emilio253
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I bet the mechanic wanted to see how gullible the OP is... Next thing you know he’ll be trying to sell you his used flux capacitor...

aaahahaaahaah lmao!
Old 11-15-10, 11:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350rock
I'm a dude and idk why he told me but dyno said their was no HP gain Dosnt really bother me didn't cost me anything so yeah thanks for the info though I'm not really a car guy I build small blocks for fun. If I ever figure out how to post videos and pics I'll post some of my car and some races I havnt lost one yet 8-0 I take pride in beating 2 of my older brothers one has a a mach1 with headers a slp loud mouth close race but I won by a car and my other brother I walked all over him in this stupid civic with gsr swap I have yet to race a new camero oh ya and srt challengers don't got **** on is350
The SRT Challenger has like 500 lbs added weight on an IS350... which is what most of its extra hp is spent moving along and why it's a pretty close race with a 350...one of the new Camaros though, if you beat that, it was a V6. Ditto the '11 Mustang.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-15-10 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-15-10, 11:28 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350rock
SRT8s have what, 425 horsepower at the crank? Even with the IS350s aggressive gearing and slight weight advantage, that's a difficult deficit to cover, as evidenced by the following video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6v8vPrcrWA

The IS350 "won" the race but only because his reaction time was quick enough to make up for the 1/4 mile time deficit (where the SRT8 bested the IS350 13.20 to 13.38)

And as for the new Camaro SS? Don't even think about it. That car is in the ISF class. 426 horsepower, 6.2 L v8.
Old 11-15-10, 06:06 PM
IS350rock
Driver

Okk 11 mustang is out of question those are scary lol I think ppe headers with the joez full exhaust and my intake it will be pretty close with a camero my cumin has one but I have to wait till nxt spring it's about to snow here lol

Quick Reply: ECTpower unlocked