IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shop refuses to change headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10 | 05:13 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
HAHAHAHA, get me this guy's email addy so I can e-mail him and laugh at him. Discharge a ballast? Where do people get this bull from?
I am sure he calls home depot to replace his fluoroscent tubes in the ceiling. They have ballasts too!
Old 11-16-10 | 05:15 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laobo979
First off you took your car to a tire shop and ask them to also do you headlight bulbs LMAO. That was a mistake. Maybe it just me but i wouldnt let a tire shop pop my hood and mess with my electrical stuff. Even if it is just a light bulb.
How many tire guys do we need to replace a light bulb?

None. They dont know how to.
Old 11-18-10 | 04:21 PM
nbressette
Driver School Candidate

I must have the worst luck, yet another shop refused to do it saying they didn't know how to. *sigh* Looks like the Toyota dealer is my next sop. Anyone know of a good DIY manual that I could glance at to see if I can do this myself? I'm pretty technically inclined but I'm also not going to spend 2 hours doing a job that I could have done for a few bucks.
Old 11-18-10 | 06:00 PM
dong888
Pole Position

did my own too. used a digital voltage meter (multimeter) to measure the bulb and showed zero voltage. Took about 45 minutes for me for 1st time.
Old 11-19-10 | 05:21 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

There is a thread that shows you with pictures how to remove the cover, air box and bulbs. It was pretty good. Just do some searching in fact it is linked to another post about the HID bulbs. If you do not mind me asking how much did you pay and where did you get it from. I see them on EBay for $57. but I rather buy it from a local store in case there is problems. Thanks
Old 11-19-10 | 05:45 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSdriven
There is a thread that shows you with pictures how to remove the cover, air box and bulbs. It was pretty good. Just do some searching in fact it is linked to another post about the HID bulbs. If you do not mind me asking how much did you pay and where did you get it from. I see them on EBay for $57. but I rather buy it from a local store in case there is problems. Thanks
you are correct, there is a DIY thread that shows how to change a D4S bulb.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ment-help.html

see post #2 for pics

btw, the above thread can be found using the search function along with the search key words "D4S" and "DIY".

if you are looking to purchase D4S bulbs, you can buy them from our authorized CL vendors.

thanks for reading.
Old 11-19-10 | 05:46 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

seriously just do it yourself. i really dont understand the problem. stop being lazy. find the diy and get it done.
Old 11-19-10 | 06:43 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

I dont think the guy is being lazy it can be pretty daunting when it is an expensive car. I remember my buddy in the air force, acft mechanic, who also worked in at Zayre car shop, if you guys can remember that. He would be doing all kinds of things to other peoples car but his own car, he would take to the dealership.
Old 11-19-10 | 06:45 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Any way, if you do not know what you are doing, go slow. It will take you longer to screw it up.
Old 11-20-10 | 10:40 AM
Cal1
Driver School Candidate

I gotta admit that there must be higher voltages than a conventional bulb but I seriously doubt that ANYONE could be killed with voltage on our cars. This is a owner replacement part. If there was any problem Lexus would have made it differently and indicated that it is a dealer replacement part. It's really no harder than replacing an air filter. Call your local dealer and ask the parts dept what they think. Some bulbs are easiler that others but no one is going to die. I've never heard of anyone killing themselves on a conventional automotive electrical system. Hybrids and pure eletronic cars are different and carry warning indicating such.

Kind of reminds me of Y2K when idots (with professional designations) claimed our cars would stop running when the year turned over to 2000. And that airplanes would fall out of the sky. If you are still in doubt, pay lexus to do it and watch. I'd be looking for the tech to come out with huge plastic insulated gloves, let the car sit for hours to discharge etc if there is something to be concerned about.
Old 11-20-10 | 02:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Try a differnet service advisor and see if a different tech can do it.

When I first got my car, I had Lexus put in my Garax 8K bulbs in. Initially the service advisor said they cannot to mods kits, but I clarified with them that it is a D4S/D4C bulb which the vehicle uses, which is fine and they went ahead with it.

Last edited by Sango; 11-20-10 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-20-10 | 02:32 PM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by chikoo
How many tire guys do we need to replace a light bulb?

None. They dont know how to.
orly? u work at one?
go take a wrench and put it across the two battery terminals. it makes pretty colors.

seriously OP, just DIY or meet up with a local member who has done it.
Old 11-20-10 | 03:54 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Thousands of mechanics die each year from changing HIDs, its a serious epidemic. But seriously amperage kills, not voltage.
Old 11-20-10 | 04:29 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
orly? u work at one?
go take a wrench and put it across the two battery terminals. it makes pretty colors.
Why would anyone do anything stupid like that?
Unless that person is an idiot in the first place.

By the same token, we should not fill gas in our own cars. Try sticking a burning match to the nozzle and see how the place lights up. Now you would not do that. Or would you?
Old 11-20-10 | 06:06 PM
nbressette
Driver School Candidate

Well under everyone's advice I went ahead and did it on my own today. Everything was pretty straight forward with the exception of the proper rotation of the bulbs. The notch didn't make it real clear. Either way the new Garax bulbs are in and I'm happy to know the old bulbs were bad, not my ballasts.

Everything worked out great since having to take the air box out gave me a chance to clean it for the new Blitz filter I got today.

Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Shop refuses to change headlights