IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 11:25 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIcs might not do any good...

Originally Posted by meangene
+1 on the pictures and did you notice anything around your parking spot? like any fluid on the ground?
The dots on my glass are very fine and my camera may not pick them up that is why I haven't taken any pics yet. The ones on my roof and trunk look like hard water spots. When I get a chance I will try to post some.
Old 11-18-10, 11:29 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Default What are mineral spirts?

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
I 've seen this before. Its from the delivery of the car when they are all the transport carriers your car was on the bottom. Its hydralic lift fluid from the carrier, at the dealership we used Mineral Spirits to clean it off, just make sure you wash the car after using it, not just with wter, use soap and water.
Where can I get some of this from, and how long will I have to let it stay on my car before I wash it off? I have tried using vinegar since its a mild acid but that did not work.
Old 11-18-10, 11:32 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by intellis
I noticed the stains on my trunk and hood before, I just thought that I could wax those out. The tiny dots on my driver side door I have never paid any attention too but now since I see them they are annoying.

Since you told me that buffing 'thins the paint' I am a lil more hesitant on getting this done. I bought some touch-up paint from Sewell, so I will use it to just cover them up.
what color are your tiny dots? orange? I had a bunch of oxidation on my car when I bought it. I got a claybar kit and it cleaned up really well after a few hours worth of work
Old 11-18-10, 11:41 AM
intellis
Pole Position

They are not orange. The ones on my widow are clear, and the ones on the paint are a lil cloudy ( if that makes any sense). I use a clay bar about once every four months and the dots on my paint are still there. I have never clay barred my window maybe i should try that since i have to have my car retinted again bc they left some tint clue on my window that is visible.
Old 11-18-10, 12:07 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can I get some of this from, and how long will I have to let it stay on my car before I wash it off? I have tried using vinegar since its a mild acid but that did not work.
Local auto store should have it, even paint stores, Home depot, etc. Out it on a rag and then rub it on the car when the spots are gone then wash. Stuff works very well. I use it to clean bug splats, wont take long to clean the car.
Old 11-18-10, 02:16 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
Local auto store should have it, even paint stores, Home depot, etc. Out it on a rag and then rub it on the car when the spots are gone then wash. Stuff works very well. I use it to clean bug splats, wont take long to clean the car.
Thanks. I will check around and buy some this weekend.
Old 11-18-10, 03:47 PM
Proper 350
Pole Position

Damn why is that stuff so damaging?
Im a detailer.I see this all day at work.It's acid rain.Use a orbital and buff it out.You can buf the window with the buffer too.Just be careful not to ruin your window moldings with the buffer.tape up areas and hand buff edges.hope that helps
Old 11-18-10, 03:51 PM
Proper 350
Pole Position

I do side work also.Thought id throw that in there.haha
Old 11-18-10, 04:16 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Proper 350
Im a detailer.I see this all day at work.It's acid rain.Use a orbital and buff it out.You can buf the window with the buffer too.Just be careful not to ruin your window moldings with the buffer.tape up areas and hand buff edges.hope that helps
Thsnks for the info. The stains are only on the driver's side of the vehicle so I don't think its acid rain. I will try the light buff if all else fails
Old 11-19-10, 10:14 AM
intellis
Pole Position

I hope this works. I will carefully read the directions, but does anyone know if this stuff is going to damage my clear coat and/or paint?
Attached Thumbnails URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.-mineralspirits.jpg  
Old 11-19-10, 10:16 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

It wont as long as you wash the area you applied it to after. Its rubbing alcohol that will damage the paint/clear coat. Mineral spirts are used to clean engines and other parts, trust me I use it on my car, it will leave an oil finish, thats what you need to wash off.
Old 11-19-10, 10:41 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought Mineral spirits is sort of a mild paint thinner?
Old 11-19-10, 11:49 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Micaiah
I thought Mineral spirits is sort of a mild paint thinner?
Its an oil based cleaning solvent. Yes it is "paint thinner", but if you wash right after it will not be a problem. Don't wash the car in mineral spirits.
Old 11-23-10, 09:02 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Default It seems as if the stains are still on my ride

Unless I did something wrong... the mineral spirits did not work. I use a soft sponge and applied the 'mineral spirits' to my car. I let it set for about 3-4 mins then I was it of with soap from the car wash. I then repeated the process but these stains are still on my car. If memory serves me correct these stains have been on my car for far too long and maybe this is the reason why the mineral spirits did not work. Here is a pic for you all to look at. If you look real close you can see the stains/markings that I' am talking about.

**this is a pic of my trunk which was taken after it was wiped clean. you can clearly see the stains which look like water marks**
Attached Thumbnails URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.-stains.jpg  

Last edited by intellis; 11-25-10 at 09:16 AM. Reason: photo caption
Old 11-23-10, 09:23 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Default Speckled Stains on window.

Here is a good shots of the stains that I' am talking about. These speckled marks are on my driver's side window. They are underneath the tint so they may be hard to see, you have to focus your eye on one spot to see them. They were on my glass before my car was tinted (i was not aware of this at the time my car was tinted). If you look near the top left hand corner of the picture where the sun is reflecting you will be able to see the speckled dots.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.-speckled-glass.jpg  

Quick Reply: URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.