IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 07:15 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.

I went to have my windows retinted and when my tint guy was done he noticed stains on my windows through my tint. At first he thought it was the tint but it was actually on the glass before he tinted my car. These stains are also on the roof and trunk. It looks as if something was sprayed on my car and not wiped off. He tried to use a solvent to get rid of the stained spray marks but it did not work. The stains are only on the driver side of the car. He thought it was wheel acid but I don't have chrome wheels. Then he suggested it could have been brake fluid or transmission fluid sprayed on the car. My car hasn't alarmed me of any low fluids but I do a lot of interstate driving so I'm assuming it could have been spray off from another vehicle. The stains only noticeable if u get really close to the car. I have rubbed, wash, and waxed the car numerous timies and they will not go away. I usually wash my car about once a week and use a clay bar kit once every three months... But the stains will not go away. My tint guy says that the only way they will go away is with a soft sander. He suggested a sander pad called diamond, but before I use that I would like to determine if there is some solvent or scrub I could wash my car in to get rid of these markings bc they are quite annoying. I usually use a car cover everynight so these stains must have come from another cars' fluids. I have a mrm 350. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-17-10, 07:28 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's brake fluid, I'm sorry to tell you that there really isn't anything that you can do for it other than repaint. It leaves permanent damage.
Old 11-17-10, 07:29 PM
Proper 350
Pole Position

does it look like water marks?like dried up water?
Old 11-17-10, 07:35 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Micaiah
If it's brake fluid, I'm sorry to tell you that there really isn't anything that you can do for it other than repaint. It leaves permanent damage.
Damn why is that stuff so damaging?
Old 11-17-10, 07:38 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Default it looks like water marks

Originally Posted by Proper 350
does it look like water marks?like dried up water?
Yes it does.
Old 11-17-10, 07:41 PM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by intellis
Damn why is that stuff so damaging?
Because the chemical make up of it softens paint and causes it to peel if left on. You are very lucky it was spray and not an intentional pouring. That is why whenever you handle brake fluid, you have to MAKE SURE that you do not touch anything and immediately wash your hands because you may have a light film of it on your skin or on the container. Even if it drips in the engine bay, BLOT it, do not wipe it.
Old 11-17-10, 08:01 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

If it IS brake fluid, I think buffing or sanding it might make it worse. Wouldn't the brake fluid have softened the paint already? If so, you probably risk making it worse. If it bothers you, I think your only choice is to strip and respray
Old 11-17-10, 09:03 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Default buffing a small section

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
If it IS brake fluid, I think buffing or sanding it might make it worse. Wouldn't the brake fluid have softened the paint already? If so, you probably risk making it worse. If it bothers you, I think your only choice is to strip and respray
I think I will let the buffer buff my roof first to how it comes out. If that goes well I will let him do the door panels. But what about windows? I guess nothing can be done to them.
Old 11-17-10, 09:41 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Ok. Good luck! I hope it makes it less noticeable for you.

Hmm...just a shot in the dark here...would you be able to use the kits made for glass headlight restoration on your windows? Just a thought.

Be sure to let us know how you remedied the situation!
Old 11-17-10, 09:47 PM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by intellis
I think I will let the buffer buff my roof first to how it comes out. If that goes well I will let him do the door panels. But what about windows? I guess nothing can be done to them.
Your clearcoat is already affected and buffing thins the paint. Are you sure you want to do this for aesthetic reasons? It seems you didn't notice it until the tint guy showed you. Is it that bad to where you are willing to possibly risk thinning your paint?

Did you happen to take pictures that you are willing to share?

Last edited by Micaiah; 11-17-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 11:10 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow I never knew brake/transmission fluid was this dangerous. I guess i learn something new everyday
Old 11-17-10, 11:52 PM
holyking
Rookie

could you take some picture please ?
Old 11-18-10, 05:12 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by holyking
could you take some picture please ?
+1 on the pictures and did you notice anything around your parking spot? like any fluid on the ground?
Old 11-18-10, 05:36 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 've seen this before. Its from the delivery of the car when they are all the transport carriers your car was on the bottom. Its hydralic lift fluid from the carrier, at the dealership we used Mineral Spirits to clean it off, just make sure you wash the car after using it, not just with wter, use soap and water.
Old 11-18-10, 11:22 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Default I actually noticed them before...

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Your clearcoat is already affected and buffing thins the paint. Are you sure you want to do this for aesthetic reasons? It seems you didn't notice it until the tint guy showed you. Is it that bad to where you are willing to possibly risk thinning your paint?

Did you happen to take pictures that you are willing to share?
I noticed the stains on my trunk and hood before, I just thought that I could wax those out. The tiny dots on my driver side door I have never paid any attention too but now since I see them they are annoying.

Since you told me that buffing 'thins the paint' I am a lil more hesitant on getting this done. I bought some touch-up paint from Sewell, so I will use it to just cover them up.

Quick Reply: URGENT- substance on car causing stains could be brake or transmission fluid.