IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stock air box additional CAI duct DIY mod.v1

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 02:52 PM
IStnr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kurtz- what do you think F/I and N2O do? ...get more air, or O2 rather, into the engine making more power. Yes- N2O has a cooling affect also, densifying the incoming air...MORE regardless.

The smoother intake tube does in fact allow more air to enter to engine via a decrease in pressure drop/resistance within the intake tube. And, slapping a cone filter on isn't really changing anything other than decreasing pressure drop across the stock filter and possibly slight pumping losses in the stock snorkel/box...you still have the same size intake tube and TB. Also, the length of the intake tube can have an affect on the hp curve...all due to the intake resonance frequencies.

Exhaust typically also allows for less resistance and MORE air flow...

There's always the law of diminishing returns...with any aspect of the engine. As far as the intake air, other limiting factors could be the TB, IM, values, cams, etc... Hence, i/h/e only net you so much...

I appreciate all your knowledge and contributions to this forum. However, let's not lose sight of the fundamental principles behind how an engine works.
Old 11-22-10, 04:12 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Hmmm - this just looks like a good way to make the air filter more dirty with less miles. LOL

Another thing, the OEM scoop is isolated from the engine bay heat by the plastic sheild and hood whereas it appears that this addtional scoop may not be. Kind of hard to tell however.

I've removed my entire filter element at the dragstrip and lost time actually. So this looks like slightly more weight with no possible gains. Sorry just my opinion.

More air isn't better if the velocity is less. fwiw....
Old 11-23-10, 06:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IStnr
Kurtz- what do you think F/I and N2O do? ...get more air, or O2 rather, into the engine making more power. Yes- N2O has a cooling affect also, densifying the incoming air...MORE regardless.
Forced induction increases the DENSITY of the intake charge because it's pressurized. You can still only accommodate the same VOLUME of intake charge because the size of the engine hasn't changed, but by pressurizing that charge it's a denser charge in the same amount of space.

N2O has both a significant cooling effect (making the intake charge denser) it also gets more oxygen than normal air into the intake charge and the oxygen is what burns... so again, density, not volume.

Neither is adding power because of "more" air it's adding power because of denser air in the same amount of space.

A bigger intake tube will NOT increase the density of the intake charge, it can only increase the volume of it. Which is useless since the motor is already getting more air than it can use.

Now COLDER air is denser, THAT could help. But you've yet to show any data that this system gets colder air than the stock system into the engine. (This would be easy enough to verify with data logging equipment).

Originally Posted by IStnr

Exhaust typically also allows for less resistance and MORE air flow...

More volume, at lower velocity due to the larger pipes. Which can lose power. Which again is why you can't just slap a 5" exhaust on everything. (there's also a more complex consideration of scavenging effects from exhaust but that's a topic for another thread).
Old 11-23-10, 06:51 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ +1

Like Kurtz has been trying to tell you, the stock intake diameter is more than enough.

I'm a little foggy in the details of this but the motor produces its peak torque at 4400-4800 rpm (i forget). For this size of motor (taking into consideration the stroke and everything), it only requires a 1.9 sq inch intake. The stock intake is about 2.6 sq inches. In fact, a lot of these aftermarket intakes are actually SMALLER in diameter than the stock one.

Also, the desired length for the intake is going to be in the multiples of 16 inches in length I seem to remember. That is, to keep the stock torque curve. I might have to recalculate that though, Im not certain.

Its been awhile since I did these calculations, so please forgive any inaccuracies.

Like I said in that other thread, it seems like a good idea and you did a good job but we think from theoretical and practical application that it wont produce anything tangible.

Believe me, I can tell you about 1000 different ways things WONT work since I started my build.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 11-29-10 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-29-10, 09:14 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking about this thread a bit and wanted to shed some light on how I came up with the values I gave earlier.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=471

this is a more technical explanation for what we've been talking about and it should give you a good idea of how to proceed into the future. These arent exactly what I used, but they do give a good general idea to this whole topic

good luck!
Old 11-29-10, 04:20 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i took off the entire snorkel that lets air in from the front grill area. KILLED my gas mileage like CRAZY. leaving it stock i think is your best bet. or perhaps even closing up the stock snorkel and using your custom snorkel for cooler air through the fog light area may be better. either way, this mod is pointless cause you won't notice any gains whatsoever. I've thought about it plenty of times to run a tube from the foglight area. not worth it
Old 11-29-10, 04:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
i took off the entire snorkel that lets air in from the front grill area. KILLED my gas mileage like CRAZY. leaving it stock i think is your best bet. or perhaps even closing up the stock snorkel and using your custom snorkel for cooler air through the fog light area may be better. either way, this mod is pointless cause you won't notice any gains whatsoever. I've thought about it plenty of times to run a tube from the foglight area. not worth it
lol, why you take off the stock snorkel? I want to take out the passenger headlights when I go to the strip for better air flow. A real CAI..