IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got rear ended :( advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 09:14 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I got rear ended a few weeks ago (wasnt that bad but worse that the picture you posted). I needed to get a new back bumper, and the dealer also put in a new bar thats on the end of the trunk (sorry I forgot what its called)

The guy who rear ended me had to pay about $1050, hope this helps
Old 11-21-10, 09:17 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hustler101
so a body shop can order the paint with the gel in it and have it fixed? then probably replace the protection bra as well? i guess i will have to bring it in tomorrow and get an estimate first then decide where to go from there. once again, thank you for the responses. very helpful
No the Gel is like a primer coat it doesn't get mixed with the paint. If insurance is going to pay for you'll have to request the gel stuff to the repair shop.
Old 11-21-10, 09:23 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
I got rear ended a few weeks ago (wasnt that bad but worse that the picture you posted). I needed to get a new back bumper, and the dealer also put in a new bar thats on the end of the trunk (sorry I forgot what its called)

The guy who rear ended me had to pay about $1050, hope this helps
if the price is anywhere near this then i will definitely go with the insurance
Old 11-21-10, 09:51 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

The difference in quotes is labour. Last time I had bumper replaced it was well over 1,500. Average shop rates are 100-130 $/hr.

Also, as an FYI, a properly done 2-stage urethane based clear will have similar looks to a gel coated bumper. It will be slightly less durable, but more than sufficient.

That stuff about spider cracks is BS. I live in -35C to +35C weather and I have never in my life seen spider cracks in paint jobs factory or repaired.
Old 11-21-10, 11:35 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default bumper

have it repainted. A body shop can fix it all. I'd say arounfd $700
Old 11-21-10, 11:42 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, you should.. forget about the other guy feeling being hurt. He's the one that rear ended you. ALWAYS go thru insurance no matter how big or small the accident is PERIOD.
Old 11-21-10, 12:18 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It cost me about $1,200 for a brand new bumper, inclusive of painting, labor, install etc. Work was done in Northern California.
Old 11-21-10, 01:10 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by busdepot
That stuff about spider cracks is BS. I live in -35C to +35C weather and I have never in my life seen spider cracks in paint jobs factory or repaired.
Are you in the business? It happens when the bumpers are not prepped correctly, I can even get pictures to prove it for you.
Old 11-21-10, 01:22 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, and this was done at my Lexus dealer and this includes labor

Good luck man
Old 11-21-10, 04:47 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
You can either repair your cover or get a new one, or a reman one, reman is $125 and then get it painted.

The problem you'll have is that they gel coat these covers from factory. The gel is very expensive and almost 99% of repair shop don't gel coat the covers. The Gel provides more flexiblily in general and from hot to cold. So after about 5 years you'll get spider cracking in the paint if they don't. Hit up car-part.com and you can probably find a cover in A condition in your color, then you just buy that and slap it on.
Originally Posted by Bottledfed
Are you in the business? It happens when the bumpers are not prepped correctly, I can even get pictures to prove it for you.
You said spider cracks happen when they don't use gel paint. This is not true. You do not need a gel paint to have long lasting, crack-free paint.

Not trying to start a flame war here. I'm not in the business but I've crashed enough cars, and repaired and painted enough of them (some of them myself) to know a couple things. An amateur hobbyist is my level.

Lots of imperfections will happen when they aren't prepped correctly. Orange peeling, cracks, runs, shadows, uneven coverage, anything really. You can have a perfectly layed gel coat, but if the primer and adhesion promoter isn't done properly, you'll have cracks, flakes, and other unsightly things. Prep makes and breaks paint, not the use of a gel coat vs a 2-stage urethane clear. Even the factory Toyota/Lexus factory certified repair shops will use urethane clears.

Urethane paints, when applied correctly, will never crack and are extremely durable in all weather. Any legit shop will be working with urethane-based paints at this point. Some custom applications will use a lacquer based paint, but that's mostly for airbrushing and highly detailed work.
Old 11-21-10, 07:43 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the busines and I would never(even on my own car) put a new bumper on to fix such minor damage. 1. The lower back of the bumper can be repaired, color can be blended and then the entire bumper can be cleared. That way the original color will meet up with the quarterpanels and it will never be noticed. 2. If you go the insurance route an accident will show up on a carfax, and it can hurt future resale. 3. I believe the original bumper has the vehicle serial number on a decal on the lower part, a new one will indicate to anyone that is looking to buy it in the future that it was rear ended. 4. If this is a good friend, no need to be overly **** and make them overpay for the repair.

Of course all of this advice assumes you take it to a top notch repair facility.
Old 11-21-10, 10:52 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mong
Yea, you should.. forget about the other guy feeling being hurt. He's the one that rear ended you. ALWAYS go thru insurance no matter how big or small the accident is PERIOD.
the thing is hes not talking about going through the other guy's insurance but rather calling his insurance and lying that someone hit him in a parking lot if im understanding correctly...so your friend hits your car, and you're willing to commit insurance fraud to help him out....i could use a couple more friends like you!
Old 11-21-10, 11:36 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
the thing is hes not talking about going through the other guy's insurance but rather calling his insurance and lying that someone hit him in a parking lot if im understanding correctly...so your friend hits your car, and you're willing to commit insurance fraud to help him out....i could use a couple more friends like you!
didn't really read his comments. just looked at the picture lol
Old 11-22-10, 01:43 AM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

From the picture it doesn't look bad. If no one has mention it already, I'll be the first, spend the money he gives you on after market goodies. Save the damage for later damages that might occur, like getting into a real bad rear end accident.

I finally reached 300 post after 6 years! ha...
Old 11-22-10, 02:45 PM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
From the picture it doesn't look bad. If no one has mention it already, I'll be the first, spend the money he gives you on after market goodies. Save the damage for later damages that might occur, like getting into a real bad rear end accident.

I finally reached 300 post after 6 years! ha...
haha, nah i honestly do not want to pocket his money. i just want my car fixed to the way it was. this is the first car i've purchased myself so it's very very heartbreaking for this to happen to it

Quick Reply: Got rear ended :( advice?