IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got rear ended :( advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 02:31 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rear ended :( advice?

to begin with, the person who rear ended me is a very very good friend of mine. the damage is very minimal but he has offered to replace my entire bumper. however, since the damage is very minimal i would feel extremely bad having him replace it over the small damage. here's a pic of it

it's still night so i don't know how it really looks like in light. my garage light sucks *****.

anyway, do you think it can just be buffed back to normal and repainted obsideon black? the dents in it caves in and caves out as well (that white part on the top right corner caves out somewhat like a spike)
i'm very heartbroken about it as i have just bought my car in september 2010, brand new
also don't want to be a **** and report to insurance over this little thing

also, any idea how much a 2010 IS250 bumper costs? from minimum to maximum?

Last edited by hustler101; 11-21-10 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-21-10, 03:52 AM
jnemo
Driver

wow, sorry to hear what happened to your car.
It sure is a tough choice to make. I would be in the same situation if I were you.
But sorry to tell you that u might not be able to buff out like normal since it's dented. But then it should look a lot better if u repaint it.
Good luck, ^^
Old 11-21-10, 04:26 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

any idea how much a 2010 IS250 bumper costs? from minimum to maximum?
Old 11-21-10, 04:55 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

$350 or so for the bumper.
Can be buffed out a bit to lighten it up.
Old 11-21-10, 06:50 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...dents on bumpers really arent fixable from my exp. if the guy is offering to pay fo a new bumper take him up on it...after all he rear ended your $30k luxury sedan....
Old 11-21-10, 06:58 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

just get it repainted. it'll run $500. sandblast it, then repainted. Once it's sandblasted, it's really easy to sand out the dent/scuffs, if you need some filler to even it out. It'll be cheaper than a new bumper, with will run you $1,500. Mind you, labour is a lot cheaper in the US, than it is in Canadaland. So depending on where you take it, you might be able to get the bumper done for $1,000?
Old 11-21-10, 07:43 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can either repair your cover or get a new one, or a reman one, reman is $125 and then get it painted.

The problem you'll have is that they gel coat these covers from factory. The gel is very expensive and almost 99% of repair shop don't gel coat the covers. The Gel provides more flexiblily in general and from hot to cold. So after about 5 years you'll get spider cracking in the paint if they don't. Hit up car-part.com and you can probably find a cover in A condition in your color, then you just buy that and slap it on.
Old 11-21-10, 08:24 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

ok well my dad is a mechanic, so we can eliminate labor costs there. i honestly could have just asked him but he was sleeping and unfortunately, still sleeping. i just posted because you know, it's your baby and you just want to know asap lol.

why are the prices you guys are giving me so different? someone said 350$ and the rest are at 1000$ and 1500$ ? is this with labor? i had just went outside and i could see the real damages now. there are several dents in a straight line, i'm assuming from his license plate. would best thing be a factory painted obsideon black bumper replacement?
and how much would htis cost, with the gel, and all this stuff you guys have mentioned? sorry i'm very like.. car-noobish

@MashinA as much as i want a brand new bumper so it'll be like nothing ever happened, i just want to take the best approach to his wallet. the damage would be considered light and it'd make me feel like a total d*ck to have him replace the bumper over that. yes i know i spent nearly $40k on it and i'm very heartbroken about it. this is why i'm asking, but at the moment it seems very expensive regardless to fix being paint is so expensive!

so do you guys think it'll be better to buy a factory painted bumper and have it replaced (dad being mech, can do this without charging my friend labor $), or would it be better to have it sanded/buffed and repainted? money wise which one is better and if i did go with the repair option would my bumper ever be the same again?

Last edited by hustler101; 11-21-10 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-21-10, 08:40 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

You can't get a new factory painted bumper, only used. Even if you order one from the dealer they don't come painted already. So your options iare repaint the one you have and repair. Buy a new one and paint it or get a used one is good shape pre painted. Also body work and mechanic are to totally different things, he may be able to refer you to someone though. Honestly people pay to much for paint jobs and the prices refect the prep time put into the them you can use a cheap paint and make it look like a million dollar car, its all about prep work, that is what set's a paint job up to look great, so if you want cheap, do the prep work yourself and then have someone paint it for you. But yes a paint job can go up to $1000 with labor.

Repairing the cover you have will be the cheaper and easier of the 3 options. Black is a fairly easy color to match so yes you can get it to the point where you wouldn't know. Here is some perspective, I have a wings west spoiler on my MRS, a classmate sat on it and cracked it. with paint and prep and a new spoiler it cost him just under $500.

Last edited by Bottledfed; 11-21-10 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-21-10, 08:48 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
You can't get a new factory painted bumper, only used. Even if you order one from the dealer they don't come painted already. So your options iare repaint the one you have and repair. Buy a new one and paint it or get a used one is good shape pre painted. Also body work and mechanic are to totally different things, he may be able to refer you to someone though. Honestly people pay to much for paint jobs and the prices refect the prep time put into the them you can use a cheap paint and make it look like a million dollar car, its all about prep work, that is what set's a paint job up to look great, so if you want cheap, do the prep work yourself and then have someone paint it for you. But yes a paint job can go up to $1000 with labor.

Repairing the cover you have will be the cheaper and easier of the 3 options. Black is a fairly easy color to match so yes you can get it to the point where you wouldn't know.
thank you. this was very helpful

to begin with, i need to correct myself, my dad is mainly a bodyman. he can do mech stuff as well, as he's been working on cars for 21 years. he had told me just about the same things you had just told me. he told me the best approach is to have it repaired, repainted, and probably have to replace the protection film (clear bra) as well since the damages are retardedly close to it. when i had bought my car, the dealer said only the factory does the clear bra. as in the wouldn't even let the dealer order it and have them do it. they had to send people from factory out to replace the clear bra for me (when i had bought the car, the clear bra was slightly damaged). any truth to this last part?

bad luck part of this is, my dad says he cannot repair it at home because he cannot spray on this paint. he said it is special and has some other stuff in it. i'm assuming he means the gel as someone has mentioned above. so yeah, my situation is a little right now
Old 11-21-10, 08:53 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hustler101
thank you. this was very helpful

to begin with, i need to correct myself, my dad is mainly a bodyman. he can do mech stuff as well, as he's been working on cars for 21 years. he had told me just about the same things you had just told me. he told me the best approach is to have it repaired, repainted, and probably have to replace the protection film (clear bra) as well since the damages are retardedly close to it. when i had bought my car, the dealer said only the factory does the clear bra. as in the wouldn't even let the dealer order it and have them do it. they had to send people from factory out to replace the clear bra for me (when i had bought the car, the clear bra was slightly damaged). any truth to this last part?

bad luck part of this is, my dad says he cannot repair it at home because he cannot spray on this paint. he said it is special and has some other stuff in it. i'm assuming he means the gel as someone has mentioned above. as far as him saying chemicals, my dad's english isn't the greatest so he told it to me like that. so yeah, my situation is a little right now
No the dealer is totaly BS, I do clear bra's on cars. I hate how the dealer contracted it out because when they cut the clear you can see the edge of it. I wrap the entire piece so you can't tell it's been wrapped. Sorry about my rant, I just hate how the dealer does this part. But no you can get it done anywhere it's just like clear vinyl, you use a heat gun with it. Well as far as painting you need to have a room for it because wind or debries can mess up the paint job. But yes, painting is a total paint in the ***. Another option you have is if you have insurance call them and say someone hit you in the parking lot at the grocery store, you just pay the deductable and your insurance will not go up because it wasn't a moving violation.
Old 11-21-10, 08:56 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

No the dealer is totaly BS, I do clear bra's on cars. I hate how the dealer contracted it out because when they cut the clear you can see the edge of it. I wrap the entire piece so you can't tell it's been wrapped. Sorry about my rant, I just hate how the dealer does this part. But no you can get it done anywhere it's just like clear vinyl, you use a heat gun with it. Well as far as painting you need to have a room for it because wind or debries can mess up the paint job. But yes, painting is a total paint in the ***. Another option you have is if you have insurance call them and say someone hit you in the parking lot at the grocery store, you just pay the deductable and your insurance will not go up because it wasn't a moving violation.
do you think the insurance method will cost the least? i'm thinking so at the moment as the clear bra probably costs a bit as well. and ty about the dealer bsing. i had an idea that it was bs as well. thank you for all of the responses everyone

EDIT* my dad says that insurance idea would be good, however, it's best we take it to get it estimated and see that it actually exceeds deductable ($500). my dad says he's pretty sure it's not going to cost over $500 but that is an option

Last edited by hustler101; 11-21-10 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-21-10, 09:00 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

do you think the insurance method will cost the least? i'm thinking so at the moment as the clear bra probably costs a bit as well. and ty about the dealer bsing. i had an idea that it was bs as well. thank you for all of the responses everyone
Well it depends on what your dedcutable is, if you have a $250-500 deductable then yes. And at that point ring your insurance for all they have, get a new cover and have them paint it then. Clear bra isn't expensive if you shop around prolly the majority of places charge about $100 to do a cover around here.

Your welcome
Old 11-21-10, 09:02 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

EDIT* my dad says that insurance idea would be good, however, it's best we take it to get it estimated and see that it actually exceeds deductable ($500). my dad says he's pretty sure it's not going to cost over $500 but that is an option
That depends on how they plan to fix it. Some shops can do the clear bra as well so if they order a new cover, paint, labor and bra it will exceed the $500. Go to a place that has a warranty of the paint work because when it spider cracks you'll want to be able to take it back.
Old 11-21-10, 09:10 AM
hustler101
Driver School Candidate

That depends on how they plan to fix it. Some shops can do the clear bra as well so if they order a new cover, paint, labor and bra it will exceed the $500. Go to a place that has a warranty of the paint work because when it spider cracks you'll want to be able to take it back.
so a body shop can order the paint with the gel in it and have it fixed? then probably replace the protection bra as well? i guess i will have to bring it in tomorrow and get an estimate first then decide where to go from there. once again, thank you for the responses. very helpful

Quick Reply: Got rear ended :( advice?