IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Valve spring recall experience?
Had recall performed and have had NO issues
48.81%
Had recall performed and HAD issues afterwards
8.33%
Waiting for results of this poll before having any work done
42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Valve Spring Recall Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 09:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

350 (IS) only.
Old 11-22-10, 11:51 PM
rockinalex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an is250 2006 with 61,000 miles. how do i approach the dealer regarding this recall, with no letter stating the recall. ?? any advise
Old 11-23-10, 12:37 AM
DailyDrive
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two different motors... i'm pretty sure if the 250 needed it they would send out a recall.
Old 11-23-10, 08:37 AM
LEXZEKE
Driver School Candidate

Default Valve spring recall

Had my wifes done at Lexus of Clearwater and mine done at Lexus of Melbourne. Took one day on both of them with no issues to date.
Old 11-23-10, 09:01 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I'm more concerned with my car being slightly out of tune if they dont put the timing back exactly as it was. It runs like a beast right now, I'm scared to monkey with something that isnt broken.

It would be nice to have new springs, although my springs arent anywhere near needing replacement at only 68k miles. I suppose I could gain some performance if one of the springs lost its ability to keep compression as well as it could, but I doubt it.

I did get the recall notice last night though. Recalls are good for the life of the car right?

I'm on the fence about it.
Old 11-23-10, 10:33 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

About week ago my check engine light and check vsc all of a sudden came on. After that the car seems to idle at a much higher rpm than normal and sometime at a much lower rpm, sometime at startup the car would rattle so much the entire car shakes. The next day the lights were still on and i was driving home from school and it suddenly died at a red light when i came to a complete stop. It kept doing this every time i came to a complete stop. When i got home i took off the battery because i thought it was the issue because the same thing happen to me before with my old camry and the battery was the issue. Anyway, i took it to autozone and they tested it was fine. Took it home and reinstall the battery and the check engine and check vsc light was gone. Everything seem to be normal but my car is idling at ~500 rpm rather then almost 1k where it normally idle at. I've been driving for almost a week thinking that the check engine light and check vsc would come back on so i can take it to the dealership to have them check it out. But it haven't, so i did some research and found out that the low idle rpm could be due to the valve spring recall or the carbon buildup. I was wondering if you guys have any advise on me approaching the dealership on checking my car since I haven't gotten the recall letter and the check engine light and check vsc hasn't came back, something which a lot of people on here said that have when they went in for the recall. I don't think i have the recall letter, since the sis name is on the car so she gets all the mail and she sometime throw all lexus letters away thinking they're just advertisement.

Last edited by aznpapaya; 11-23-10 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-23-10, 01:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i did the recall, dropped off on a wed morn, picked up on a thrus afternoon, no problems other than the 10min it took for me to find a CL member with stockers to loan me
Old 11-23-10, 03:43 PM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
About week ago my check engine light and check vsc all of a sudden came on. After that the car seems to idle at a much higher rpm than normal and sometime at a much lower rpm, sometime at startup the car would rattle so much the entire car shakes. The next day the lights were still on and i was driving home from school and it suddenly died at a red light when i came to a complete stop. It kept doing this every time i came to a complete stop. When i got home i took off the battery because i thought it was the issue because the same thing happen to me before with my old camry and the battery was the issue. Anyway, i took it to autozone and they tested it was fine. Took it home and reinstall the battery and the check engine and check vsc light was gone. Everything seem to be normal but my car is idling at ~500 rpm rather then almost 1k where it normally idle at. I've been driving for almost a week thinking that the check engine light and check vsc would come back on so i can take it to the dealership to have them check it out. But it haven't, so i did some research and found out that the low idle rpm could be due to the valve spring recall or the carbon buildup. I was wondering if you guys have any advise on me approaching the dealership on checking my car since I haven't gotten the recall letter and the check engine light and check vsc hasn't came back, something which a lot of people on here said that have when they went in for the recall. I don't think i have the recall letter, since the sis name is on the car so she gets all the mail and she sometime throw all lexus letters away thinking they're just advertisement.
It's seems like the engine was stalling at those red lights. That is one of the main symptoms, but very rare, mentioned on the recall. It's gotta be the valve springs. I never received the recall letter, in other cases i do. I took it in for service one day and they knew my car had to get it done. I say just take it in to the dealer and give them a chat. It's all free so they should take care of you. You are already experiencing the issues, so you should take it in asap. Forget the letter. Good luck!
Old 11-23-10, 08:10 PM
jrxis2008
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I'm more concerned with my car being slightly out of tune if they dont put the timing back exactly as it was. It runs like a beast right now, I'm scared to monkey with something that isnt broken.

It would be nice to have new springs, although my springs arent anywhere near needing replacement at only 68k miles. I suppose I could gain some performance if one of the springs lost its ability to keep compression as well as it could, but I doubt it.

I did get the recall notice last night though. Recalls are good for the life of the car right?

I'm on the fence about it.

I'm with you i just hit 13,000 miles and the car runs amazing. My brother is a mechanic (non-lexus) and said he wouldn't want anyone messing with the timing on an engine like ours that didn't have issues. Messing around with an engine that runs great with only 13,000 miles just doen't seem right. Any info yet on how long recalls are good for?
Old 11-23-10, 09:55 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

For IS350 only on the recall????
Old 11-23-10, 11:28 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
There is no timing adjustment on these cars... its either dead on, or a tooth off.. and the car doesnt run well, if at all, a tooth off. So i certainly wouldnt be worried about your car being out of tune because of replacement of valve springs... its a mechanical part replacement, its pretty cut and dry.
Old 11-24-10, 12:40 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i did the recall, dropped off on a wed morn, picked up on a thrus afternoon, no problems other than the 10min it took for me to find a CL member with stockers to loan me
do you need stock springs to do the recall? i have tien springs install, can i get the recall with them on, or do i need to take them off to do the recall?
Old 11-24-10, 05:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
do you need stock springs to do the recall? i have tien springs install, can i get the recall with them on, or do i need to take them off to do the recall?
Uh... the recall is on valve springs. Parts inside the engine.

Has nothing whatsoever to do with the springs that are part of your suspension.
Old 11-24-10, 05:51 AM
NYCIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by 305is350
Got it done also two months ago without any issues. (+ $1500 certificate and $500 GC)
why did they throw in a gift card.............
Old 11-24-10, 01:25 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Uh... the recall is on valve springs. Parts inside the engine.

Has nothing whatsoever to do with the springs that are part of your suspension.
, i saw the "spring" thought it have to do with your springs lol

Quick Reply: Valve Spring Recall Poll