IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low Engine Oil light

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10 | 03:53 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtr02
i'm due for an oil change so i'm going in tomorrow. let i said, the low engine oil light only happens when i hit every 5000 mile marker, when its close to getting an oil change. is this a pesky way of lexus letting me know its time to get an oil change? who knows...
If it's the reminder light than you should read your owners manual and stop being a ding ding. If it really is the low oil light then you got problems....
Old 11-23-10 | 04:06 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

^^ this would be silly if it is the maintenance required warning...always check the manual if you have any MIL on, will save you a ton of time and worrying...
Old 03-29-11 | 06:13 PM
gtr02
Driver School Candidate

guys, i brought my car in for a oil service and asked them to check the oil level, they did notice that the oil level was low. my car has 105k miles now, they would like me to bring the car back after 2k miles so that they can measure the oil level again, it is possible that my engine is burning oil...

they also recommended the de-carbonize service, they said there was a lot of carbon build up and my engine had a "rough idle" during the test. that service costs 625 bucks! is it really worth it?
Old 03-29-11 | 07:23 PM
kamileon88
Rookie

TaKe it to mechanic and have him check compression. Your oil rings might be bad and will end up needing a short block. I've seen it in many 06 gs300 and is250
Old 03-29-11 | 09:37 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

It's normal for cars to burn some oil between the oil change. But if you end up burning a quart of oil between, then there is definitely something wrong. You can ask the dealer to do an oil consumption test where they check the oil level frequently.

The oil burning happened on my previous car (Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V). I lose about about half a quart of oil between my oil changes. But some people were losing over a quart of oil.
Old 03-30-11 | 08:20 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gtr02
guys, i brought my car in for a oil service and asked them to check the oil level, they did notice that the oil level was low. my car has 105k miles now, they would like me to bring the car back after 2k miles so that they can measure the oil level again, it is possible that my engine is burning oil...

they also recommended the de-carbonize service, they said there was a lot of carbon build up and my engine had a "rough idle" during the test. that service costs 625 bucks! is it really worth it?
Have the top engine decarb done on the car, but call around it's much cheaper in other dealerships. Also can you please keep us updated on the progress of your oil check. It would be highly appreciated here.

I've come accross the light only once as I mentioned before, but I do notice every time I'm close to an oil change that the oil levels on the dipstick seem rather low.

Originally Posted by kamileon88
TaKe it to mechanic and have him check compression. Your oil rings might be bad and will end up needing a short block. I've seen it in many 06 gs300 and is250
Hm this sounds like a possibility. Where have you seen this happening to IS250's. I've been speculating there could be something related to this that's possibly causing low oil levels on high mileage IS's.
Old 03-30-11 | 01:18 PM
hades281
Driver

Originally Posted by kamileon88
What would cause some of these engines to have worn oil rings? That is alarming.
Old 11-07-11 | 08:48 AM
skycpa
Driver School Candidate

This is the third time that has happened to me. The light comes on 1,000 miles before my 5,000 service. I have my car at Lexus right now. They are checking it out to see what's up with that. The last two times they just topped it off a quart w/no charge. I'll check back if they have anything helpful to say. I have 68,100 miles on it now.
Old 11-07-11 | 09:25 AM
Miggs
Driver

check your oil level, same thing happened to me while driving it came on during a hard turn so i checked the level and found a little less than 5qts

I do my own oil changes so i know im putting in the correct amount, engine may be consuming oil.. not good
Old 11-07-11 | 09:50 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I've never had this happen to me personally. And I run my oil to 10-12k miles between oil changes...
Old 11-07-11 | 10:50 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

I did an oil change about a week ago after hitting 9,800 miles on the same Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. What startled me was that there was barely enough oil to fill a 5 qt oil bottle. Take in mind that I changed the oil filter and topped off a quart at 7,000 miles into the oil service.

So 1.7 qt's are being burned every 10k it seems, or maybe more. All my car sees is highway miles, rarely any city driving.

Something's up because after I got the first warning at 7k for low engine oil I did the filter change and oil top off and 2k later it was back to the same warning display.

As far as I know pistons and piston rings are big contributors to burning excess oil. Hopefully my car decides to throw a check engine light with a miss fire code soon. I need a short block rebuild.
Old 11-07-11 | 12:44 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

If "maintenance" light is on, it's your reminder for oil change soon
If "low level oil" light on, you should check your oil level ASAP
***If you have low level, you should refill it to proper level (there is lost of thing cause oil burn like the way you driving, high RPM, etc..)
***if you oil level is full, you should have your oil bump replace soon (it warns you that your oil bump is not working properly).

You should ask your service advisor about it.
Good Luck
Old 11-07-11 | 12:55 PM
birador
Lead Lap

here's what some expert says:

Don't ignore it. An oil pressure warning light (or low gauge reading) means one of two things: either your engine has dangerously low oil pressure (for a variety of reasons which we'll get to in a minute), or the oil pressure sending unit that triggers the warning light (or operates your gauge) has failed.

The question here is whether you have a serious problem or a minor one.

First, do not keep driving if the oil warning light is on or your oil pressure gauge has dropped. Stop the engine, let it sit for a few minutes, then check the oil level.

Is the level low? If the oil level is down more than two quarts or no oil is showing on the dipstick, adding oil to bring the level back up to the full mark may be all that's necessary to make the light go out. Just keep your fingers crossed that you haven't damaged the engine from running it too low on oil. If you hear rapping or knocking noises the engine starts, you're too late. The damage is done and now you're stuck with the consequences.

Note: On some late model vehicles, the warning light will come on (or a message will appear) if a sensor in the oil pan detects a low oil level. The light is supposed to come on before the level gets low enough to cause any damage.

If your oil level was low, it means your engine is either leaking oil or burning it. Leaks can be fixed by finding and replacing leaky gaskets and seals. Sometimes the oil filter will leak if it isn't installed or tightened properly. But an oil burning problem means the valve guides, rings and/or cylinders are worn or damaged and more costly repairs are needed.

If the dipstick shows a full oil level, then low oil obviously isn't your problem. The oil pressure may be low because of a worn or broken oil pump, a plugged oil pickup screen in the engine's crankcase, possibly a plugged oil filter or excessive bearing wear. Or, the oil pressure may be fine but the oil pressure sending unit has failed. Further diagnosis will be required to determine what's wrong.

Should you attempt to drive your vehicle home or to a service facility?

It's risky. If the problem came on suddenly, your engine does not have a lot of miles on it (less than 60,000) and you noticed no unusual noises (no valvetrain clattering or engine knocking), there's a good chance that all that's wrong is the sending unit. But, there's no way to know for sure without actually checking the engine's oil pressure with a gauge, or replacing the sending unit to see if a new unit makes the light go out. If the problem is only the sending unit, your engine still has oil pressure and you can continue to drive it until the sending unit can be replaced. But, if you're wrong you risk ruining your engine.

If you think you might have a low oil pressure or oil delivery problem because of a bad oil pump or one of the other problems we mentioned, do not drive your vehicle. Doing so only increases the probability of further engine damage. Have the vehicle towed to a service facility for repairs.
Old 11-07-11 | 01:01 PM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

Not to beat a dead horse here-but there is a BIG difference between the Low Oil light and the Change Oil Light. I have a 2006 IS250 and it has a built in oil reminder light that goes off every about 5k miles. This is NOT the "Low Oil light." If your oil is legitimately low and you continue to run your car you might as well just kill your engine. As everyone else has said-pull out the dipstick and check it. Read your owners manual...too easy.
Old 11-11-11 | 07:09 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Dude, you should see my post " IS250 Burning oil??" That might be the same thing happening to your car. In fact, im still battling it.

Quick Reply: Low Engine Oil light