IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Happy Thanksgiving i'm an idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10 | 11:00 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Default Happy Thanksgiving i'm an idiot!

Sorry I thought the tile would grab your attention. However yes I am an idiot. I did the stupidest thing I have ever done and i still don't know how i did it. So this evening i went bowling with some friends i haven't seen in quite some time. We sat at the bar for an hour or so just catching up and then bowled 2 games. I was at the bowling alley for alitle under 3 hours and when i left i looked across the parking lot to see my car with the lights on. I thought that was odd since it has auto off lights and i've never had that problem before. When i approached the car trying to figure out what happened i realized it was running. I somehow thought i turned off my car before i got out and proceeded inside. The smart key is alittle confusing since you carry it on you and you just push ther button on the ignition to turn off the car but i still have no idea how i did that. The only thing i could think of is that i was on my phone when i exited my car and just wasn't paying attention, i really don't know. Anyways the car was running, just idling for alittle under 3 hours total. The funny thing is that it barely used any gas but i know idling is not good for a car at all. I hope i didn't cause any damage or premature wear.
Old 11-24-10 | 11:16 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

You're lucky nobody tried to do something to it!!!
Old 11-24-10 | 11:16 PM
mahcah
Racer

Haha you're not the only one on the forums to do so!
Old 11-24-10 | 11:17 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

I really can't fathom how idling the car for 3 hours can cause major premature wear and tear. You'll be fine.

I suppose there's a fundamental difference between idling in park and idling in drive (with your foot on the brake) because when I am at a stop light my gas mileage just plummets.
Old 11-24-10 | 11:18 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

The only "frightening" thing that's happened to me is after I parked my car for a couple of hours I came back to find all of the windows rolled down.

Caused by accidentally pressing/holding a certain button on the key fob. Imagine if that happened and it ended up raining. I'd be furious.
Old 11-24-10 | 11:25 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
You're lucky nobody tried to do something to it!!!
Yeah you're telling me but the car was in the back of the lot and i have tinted windows. I would assume most would not dare touch it because they wouldn't know if someone was inside of it.
Old 11-24-10 | 11:49 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by syzygy
The only "frightening" thing that's happened to me is after I parked my car for a couple of hours I came back to find all of the windows rolled down.

Caused by accidentally pressing/holding a certain button on the key fob. Imagine if that happened and it ended up raining. I'd be furious.
the raining thing has happened to me before. thank goodness it only sprinkled for half an hour.
Old 11-25-10 | 12:54 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

for sure it will not happen again.. learning lesson... someone could've taken ur car for a joy ride...ur'e lucky!!
Old 11-25-10 | 01:14 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

bahaha thats funny! happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-10 | 01:19 AM
Grazy
Driver

hey thanks! happy thanksgiving #1 for me so far, because you remind myself to be more careful with my car, i catch myself almost making your mistake sometimes.
Old 11-25-10 | 02:44 AM
rich250x
Pole Position

wait how did you have the car running and the key on you wouldn't there be some loud noise saying that the key fob was not detected?
Old 11-25-10 | 07:25 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

ive done that many times man, dont feel bad. And you could leave it idling for a week, it would be fine
Old 11-25-10 | 08:18 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rich250x
wait how did you have the car running and the key on you wouldn't there be some loud noise saying that the key fob was not detected?
Well i wouldn't consider the noise loud and it stop after alittle bit. It was raining outside pretty heavily so it wouldn't be noticable to me. I wonder how long someone can drive without the key fob? I mean wouldn't it makes sense for the car the shut off if it's put in D without the fob? Actually now that i think of it, i think it does. I had that happen to me at a car wash, well it wasn;t me but the attendant. Who tried to move the car forward but i had the key on me and it just shut down.
Old 11-25-10 | 09:49 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

it doesnt shut off, you can drive it as long as u want without the fob, u just cant shut it off obviously
Old 11-25-10 | 11:00 AM
Micaiah

Oh you can shut it off, you just can't restart it again without the fob near by.

I drove around and around and around in the mall parking lot after I dropped off my son. He had the fob with him (he started the car for me) and inside the mall there was no signal for his phone.

I had to wait till he realized it and then ran outside to call me.

Oh and by the way, the car (loaner RX) didn't beep until I was almost at the freeway entrance. Micaiah beeps as soon as you're about 5 feet away from him. Micaiah is such a nanny car.

Quick Reply: Happy Thanksgiving i'm an idiot!