IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 10:11 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't even worry about it! If it's a good body shop they'll know what to do. I just had the rear/front bumpers, body kit, roof spoiler, trunk, license plate panel, and both quarter panels and roof pillar. It matches perfect.
Old 11-28-10, 06:54 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do some research and find a reputable body shop to do your repairs. I highly doubt they will respray the entire car.
Old 11-28-10, 10:00 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Funny story though, back 5 years ago when i was in high school, a buddy of mine got pulled over and the cop basically didn't slow down with him, and rear ended him lol but a firetruck is a first for sure.
Old 11-28-10, 10:06 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by DajonDondo
this sucks... i thought my whole car would be repainted.
Why would they repaint the whole car for a bumper? That makes no sense. Keep in mind that factory paint, especially on a modern Lexus, is very good. Better than it ever has been, in fact, and body shops that continuously train know how to do repairs.

i just hope the colors match. the resale value loss is what i cant get over. Has anyone dealt with a situation in which they had a scratch on their car and had them try to blend it in?
As I said, a quality shop shouldn't have a problem doing a blend to your car. The resale value loss is crappy, but such is life now. You can talk to your tax preparer about that part, though. Get the car fixed using quality parts at a quality shop, and it should be back to almost relatively close to the same condition soon enough.

Big Mack
Old 11-28-10, 12:52 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

Thanks alot Big mack and everyone else who posted, i appreciate the replies, very helpful.

I will do my research on some reputable body shops and just pray it comes close to what it was stock.
Old 11-28-10, 01:42 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by autovation
you'll get a new bumper but your rear 1/4 panel will need to be re-sprayed. unfortunately your car will lose value and show on carfax.
I always fought with insurance on this aspect of losing value. Who is going to pay for that???
Old 11-28-10, 01:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

this sucks... i thought my whole car would be repainted. i just hope the colors match. the resale value loss is what i cant get over. Has anyone dealt with a situation in which they had a scratch on their car and had them try to blend it in?
You will need to be very diligent before taking delivery from the body shop. Refuse delivery if you find any paint defects such as overspray, not blending, flake direction, wet/dry paint sticking from bumper to qtr panel, etc
Old 11-28-10, 01:53 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

One time the body shop blended my rear bumper to the rear door and qtr panel. Looked real good, that is until i stepped back and saw that it did not blend with the front door! They ended up painting the whole right side of the car!!!
Old 11-28-10, 02:38 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

yeah exactly Chikoo, i will pay close attention to everything in different lightings for sure.

i took more pics in the day light.
A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)-x22w6.jpg
side that got hit.
A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)-qmnku.jpg
A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)-vmblk.jpg
Side that got hit.
A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)-tku64.jpg

do they just bring push the dents back to the way it was? how does that work. Im only 20 btw.. so if my questions are dumb. sorry. Never been in this situation.
Old 11-28-10, 04:26 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Funny story though, back 5 years ago when i was in high school, a buddy of mine got pulled over and the cop basically didn't slow down with him, and rear ended him lol but a firetruck is a first for sure.
haha, did he still get a ticket?
Old 11-28-10, 05:23 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this sucks... i thought my whole car would be repainted. i just hope the colors match. the resale value loss is what i cant get over. Has anyone dealt with a situation in which they had a scratch on their car and had them try to blend it in?
Painting the whole car sounds good to most people. The fact is though, a total repaint drops the value like a rock. That quarter and bumper can easily be repaired as long as you have a reputable company do the repair.
Old 11-28-10, 08:31 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just like everyone says here, take it to the dealer since their insurance will cover you, they will use all OEM parts...
Old 11-29-10, 10:01 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by autovation
you'll get a new bumper but your rear 1/4 panel will need to be re-sprayed. unfortunately your car will lose value and show on carfax.
Originally Posted by chikoo
I always fought with insurance on this aspect of losing value. Who is going to pay for that???
This is a real issue that the insurance world has addressed!
You need to file what is called a Diminished Value Claim. Not many people know about it or have the patience to battle an insurance company but if you prove your claim, beyond a doubt, there's really nothing they can do. Especially if you purchased a relatively new vehicle that had no prior accidents. Do some research, it's not hard to show how much the value of your car will go down from before to after the accident. I am assuming this will be a halfway decent insurance company since it was a fire truck..
Once you recover some of the difference, via the diminished value claim, the fact that your car may show an accident on carfax will matter much less. You will have already recovered the money you will lose when you resell in a sense softening the blow..
The only downfall that you cannot recover from will be difficulty reselling to a private party. Many potential pre-owned Lexus buyers will shy away from a car showing an accident on carfax. Keep all of the estimates and photos so you can show that the damage was not too severe. Doesn't look like there's much, if any frame damage, and that's your main worry here.
Take it to a Lexus dealer, or at the very least a body shop recommended by the dealer. I've had a rear bumper replaced with a recycled part in the past, on my now deceased 02 IS3, and honestly it looked just like it was brand new. A good body shop will fix it right and you won't know the difference, especially if you are 20 years old with limited experience in this field.
The firetruck was obviously the at fault party here and their insurance company is legally obligated to let you repair the vehicle wherever you like. Whether or not they give you brand spanking new OE parts is TBD...
I could really do an entire thread on that topic alone so I'll leave it at that..
If you have any other insurance related questions feel free to ask, I've worked in a claims office for quite a while now..

Fisher
Old 11-30-10, 01:47 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

First of all, DO NOT go to a body shop that is linked with an insurance company(yours or theirs), those guys are scam artists and don't fix the car properly.

Find the best body shop yourself, through research online or maybe people's suggestions. A dealer doesn't guarantee that the work will be immaculate, you need a professional who only does repairs.

Once you find a shop, go talk to the owner and look around the facility. Try to take note of how clean and neat they are. Also look at their recent paint jobs or finished cars, to see how good they are.

And lastly, don't worry about how long it takes. I had a similar accident and it took 2 months for my car to be repaired(from the accident till the day I drove it home from the shop). And it was completely worth it.
Old 11-30-10, 02:34 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fisher
This is a real issue that the insurance world has addressed!
You need to file what is called a Diminished Value Claim. Not many people know about it or have the patience to battle an insurance company but if you prove your claim, beyond a doubt, there's really nothing they can do. Especially if you purchased a relatively new vehicle that had no prior accidents. Do some research, it's not hard to show how much the value of your car will go down from before to after the accident. I am assuming this will be a halfway decent insurance company since it was a fire truck..
Once you recover some of the difference, via the diminished value claim, the fact that your car may show an accident on carfax will matter much less. You will have already recovered the money you will lose when you resell in a sense softening the blow..
The only downfall that you cannot recover from will be difficulty reselling to a private party. Many potential pre-owned Lexus buyers will shy away from a car showing an accident on carfax. Keep all of the estimates and photos so you can show that the damage was not too severe. Doesn't look like there's much, if any frame damage, and that's your main worry here.
Take it to a Lexus dealer, or at the very least a body shop recommended by the dealer. I've had a rear bumper replaced with a recycled part in the past, on my now deceased 02 IS3, and honestly it looked just like it was brand new. A good body shop will fix it right and you won't know the difference, especially if you are 20 years old with limited experience in this field.
The firetruck was obviously the at fault party here and their insurance company is legally obligated to let you repair the vehicle wherever you like. Whether or not they give you brand spanking new OE parts is TBD...
I could really do an entire thread on that topic alone so I'll leave it at that..
If you have any other insurance related questions feel free to ask, I've worked in a claims office for quite a while now..

Fisher
Awesome!!!! Learning new things everyday.

Quick Reply: A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)