IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 01:54 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)

Um OK basically my car was parked outside of a friends home. I was on my way home, got outside and saw a firetruck and my car bumper on the floor. Nearly passed out ...... this is depressing. I got my car on July 14, Only drove it 2k miles. I got it with 6,150 Miles and now its just under 8,120 Miles. They took my info down, called a police officer to the scene. The officer made the report and im going to receive it Monday and report the accident to my insurance.

I got some questions if you guys can answer them I'll appreciate it.

(pics below)

My car is Black Sapphire Pearl, i want to kno since the color is discontinued is there any way i can still get it repainted that color?

Do you guys think i can get it repainted?

How much would u estimate the damage?

I dont want to use the bumper in the accident, do they just order a new one from lexus or will they try to fix the bumper?

[

Please lmk. thanks.

Last edited by DajonDondo; 03-22-11 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-27-10, 02:00 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ouch! I'm a firefighter and the dept's insurance will take care of it. Couldn't tell all the damage, but im guessing about $3K. You have a choice of which body shop to take it to or Lexus deership. Yes, the body shop can still paint it the factory color using the original paint code. Good luck.
Old 11-27-10, 02:02 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

wow, that's a first.

I'm pretty sure that if you take it to a body shop they can mix & match the color of the car. I don't know about the cost of the damages but it doesn't look too bad...especially after getting hit by a fire truck. When you take it to the body shop, they should be able to order a new bumper and all of the necessary parts to fix it...unless you go on ebay or buy it from one of the vendors. Good luck on everything and keep us updated!

Last edited by Dvo; 11-27-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-27-10, 02:30 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

since the insurance of the fire dept will take care of it just take your car to your dealer
Old 11-27-10, 02:34 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And remember to make sure it's all OEM parts!!
Old 11-27-10, 02:54 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I wish someone just tear off my rear bumper without any other damage, so I can upgrade to the IS-F rear bumper
Old 11-27-10, 03:23 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it looks like your quarter panel is damaged too. its going to be quite pricey, but its fine, insurance will handle this.

and to answer your question:
yes they will repaint it back to OEM color, even though its discontinue does not mean its impossible for a painter to get the original paint code and mix the paint to make your OEM color.

yes, you'll receive a whole new bumper. No, they will not take your old bumper and try to fix it
Old 11-27-10, 03:29 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

you'll get a new bumper but your rear 1/4 panel will need to be re-sprayed. unfortunately your car will lose value and show on carfax.
Old 11-27-10, 03:29 PM
jackballer
Driver

Ouch!! sorry to see that. Thats why we are always supposed to have a backer watching out.
They will fix it. Just take it to the dealer.
Old 11-27-10, 05:28 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by autovation
you'll get a new bumper but your rear 1/4 panel will need to be re-sprayed. unfortunately your car will lose value and show on carfax.

so they wont repaint my car?????

so the lexus dealership should be able to do everything? such as paint, install a new bumper, etc.

yes my car will lose value.. this sucks.... my car was parked and a firetruck comes down a 1 way st. and hits it.. smfh...
Old 11-27-10, 05:36 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by DajonDondo
so they wont repaint my car?????
Where did he say there would be no repaint? They're not going to repaint the whole car if that's what you are asking. They'll blend it into the quarter and possibly the roof pillar.

Originally Posted by DajonDondo
so the lexus dealership should be able to do everything? such as paint, install a new bumper, etc.
If they have a body shop, yes. Some do, some don't. If yours doesn't, ask them who they use. That shop will be your best bet in most cases, because the dealership definitely doesn't want boomerang cars for that kind of thing.

It sucks, but it's part of owning a car. Be happy yours is covered by their insurance. Some of us who get hit aren't so lucky (mothereffin hit and run drivers...).

Big Mack
Old 11-27-10, 05:52 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

looks repairable... and paint can be matched. and if youre wondering no i dont think they will repaint your WHOLE car just to fix that area.

they will fix what needs to be fixed... nothing more nothing less.

send it to a SUPER Good body shop so that they take care of you... hopefully they will pull out the frame and cut/weld you a new quarterpanel/rear
Old 11-27-10, 06:05 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn thats some ****ty luck and good luck at the same time! if my car was ever hit id prefer it got hit by a firetruck or a police car
Old 11-27-10, 07:23 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

this sucks... i thought my whole car would be repainted. i just hope the colors match. the resale value loss is what i cant get over. Has anyone dealt with a situation in which they had a scratch on their car and had them try to blend it in?
Old 11-27-10, 07:54 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask other folks in your community who own luxury, sport, and collector cars for references of a good independent body shop. The shop I used for my 05 LS I had previously used with my 04 CTS with great results. (They also fully restored a wrecked 00 LS that the owner drives.) A good body shop will be able to match your color so you won't be able to tell the difference. They go beyond color code and visually match the color on the part they are replacing and adjacent panels in multiple sunny, cloudy, and artificial light conditions. It took my shop more than a week to match the flint mica on my LS430, enlisting help from PPG, to make sure the colors and size of the flecks matched what was sprayed at the factory. (One test resulted in what they called a "Bass boat" look. LOL)

Another thing a good shop will do is automatically replace the chrome strips and most of the emblems rather than try to mask or remove and reuse them. They are generally cheap and will look great.

Two other items to consider:

- Repairs done at the dealer will be recorded in your service history that a future buyer can access on lexus.com.

- Not all body shops report to carfax / autocheck.

Quick Reply: A Firetruck hit my car, while it was parked. (PICS)