IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Brake Noise *vid with high quality audio*

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 03:34 PM
getfunky
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 Brake Noise *vid with high quality audio*

Now, I've read that high performance brakes will have some certain characteristics that normal brakes don't have but this just doesn't seem normal to me. Since the day I got my is350 I've had this problem. The brakes don't "squeal" or "squeak" but it sounds more like a scraping noise and this noise only comes when I've reached a complete stop OR when I slowly let off the brakes. Before anyone ask, "Why haven't you taken it to the dealership?" I have and they said it was normal. Anyone else's is350 brakes behaving this way?

Here's a video:

http://vimeo.com/17271631 Is there a way to embed videos on this site?

Awesome, on the day I try replicate the sound it won't do it BUT i'm still able to get that scraping noise when I slowly let off the brakes.... Some days are worse. But notice towards the end of the video, when I put my car in park. The brakes again make that scraping noise.
Old 11-28-10, 03:56 PM
shiny250
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 250 but i do get the same sound. its totally normal. im pretty sure its just the sound you get when the pads rub against the rotors slowly. ive gotten the same sound in other lexus loaner vehicles as well
Old 11-28-10, 04:10 PM
getfunky
Driver

Wow, even on the 250? I guess I do feel a better that there isn't anything wrong with my brakes but at the same time i'm not too happy about it. Kind of annoying to feel and hear that scraping noise.
Old 11-28-10, 04:17 PM
shiny250
Advanced

yeah it doesnt really bother me much because i hardly use my brakes softly enough to hear the noise. i wouldnt call it scraping..just think of it as rubbing. which is what the pads were made to do. haha
Old 11-28-10, 04:23 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealership calling that normal is patently absurd.

Ask to speak with a manager and e-mail your video prior to your appointment. That's not "normal" at all.

I've never heard that type of sound on my IS350. I'm surprised to see IS250 owners chiming in saying that's normal.

It'll be interesting to see what the general consensus is on this. For me, that sound isn't normal at all.
Old 11-28-10, 04:27 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its the rotors...mine does it too...just have them resurfaced and it will go away...for a while...they do that when they build up a glaze on them(when they look really smooth), when they get (turned) resurfaced they leave a slightly rough finish on them!...they still work fine the way they are
Old 11-28-10, 04:44 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay to be honest, my other car does that too.

This is when the threshold is breaking from brakes being on and brakes coming off. In other words, it's when the brakes are being used gently during release or light application. You are not putting a lot of pressure so it's grasping, not grabbing the rotor.

Imagine this: If you are gently pinching a ruler between your thumb and forefinger, try to pull the ruler out from your grasp. Now pinch harder. Do you feel the difference? What you feel as the ruler is being pulled is what is happening to your brakes.

Try it on your car again and apply the brakes with more pressure and see if it does it. When releasing your brakes, lift your foot off quickly. If I am correct, you should not hear the sound.

It's normal for the way you are using them and you are not damaging your brakes in any way.

Last edited by Micaiah; 11-28-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 05:12 PM
bronz
Driver

yeah its normal its when breaks rub againist rotors slowly....mines did that sound ever since it was new
Old 11-28-10, 06:23 PM
shiny250
Advanced

Originally Posted by syzygy
The dealership calling that normal is patently absurd.

Ask to speak with a manager and e-mail your video prior to your appointment. That's not "normal" at all.

I've never heard that type of sound on my IS350. I'm surprised to see IS250 owners chiming in saying that's normal.

It'll be interesting to see what the general consensus is on this. For me, that sound isn't normal at all.
its doesnt matter whether you have a 350 or a 250...both cars have brakes with similar, if not same, material pads and rotors..assuming he has oem brake pads and rotors.

btw i the first thing i stated was that i had a 250 in my first post..i chimed in because i have the same issue..
Old 11-28-10, 07:44 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Okay to be honest, my other car does that too.

This is when the threshold is breaking from brakes being on and brakes coming off. In other words, it's when the brakes are being used gently during release or light application. You are not putting a lot of pressure so it's grasping, not grabbing the rotor.

Imagine this: If you are gently pinching a ruler between your thumb and forefinger, try to pull the ruler out from your grasp. Now pinch harder. Do you feel the difference? What you feel as the ruler is being pulled is what is happening to your brakes.

Try it on your car again and apply the brakes with more pressure and see if it does it. When releasing your brakes, lift your foot off quickly. If I am correct, you should not hear the sound.

It's normal for the way you are using them and you are not damaging your brakes in any way.
^^ What she said. Case closed
Old 11-28-10, 07:48 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard this on all kinds of brakes at slow to no speed. No big deal.
Old 11-28-10, 08:43 PM
getfunky
Driver

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of yall's inputs.

Syzygy, I originally made this video for that purpose... To show my video to the manager at that dealership. But I too also wanted to see what the general consensus was.

Micaiah, thanks for taking the time to explain that. That was the same thing I was thinking initially when I bought the car but if that's the case, then shouldn't all car brakes have the same noise? My previous Honda Accord didn't have this problem, neither does my friend's BMW 335i(which also features high performance brakes). You're right that depressing the brakes with more pressure and lifting the foot off quickly does help eliminate the noise somewhat but you can still hear it.(just now at a shorter length) Also, when changing into different gears(park to reverse, vice versa) you can hear the brakes making that same rubbing noise.

"its the rotors...mine does it too...just have them resurfaced and it will go away...for a while...they do that when they build up a glaze on them(when they look really smooth), when they get (turned) resurfaced they leave a slightly rough finish on them!...they still work fine the way they are

Gives me better peace of mind knowing i'm not damaging my brakes but it's still is very annoying!

Last edited by getfunky; 11-28-10 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 08:57 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't read most of what everyone else said, but it happens on my 350 with brand new rotors and pads. Happens to my cousins GS350, bro in law IS350, girl I used to date IS350, and everyone that had those brakes (LS,GS, IS350's) when I used to work at a Lexus dealership. With that said, you have nothing to worry about =]
Old 11-28-10, 09:06 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MiiK350
I didn't read most of what everyone else said, but it happens on my 350 with brand new rotors and pads. Happens to my cousins GS350, bro in law IS350, girl I used to date IS350, and everyone that had those brakes (LS,GS, IS350's) when I used to work at a Lexus dealership. With that said, you have nothing to worry about =]
that's funny mike.. when i first mentioned it to you, you told me to find an empty parking lot. slam the throttle, then slam the brakes. ahahah
Old 11-28-10, 09:53 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Thats for a squeak or whistling. This sound is completely different=]

Quick Reply: IS350 Brake Noise *vid with high quality audio*