IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I got a new set of tires coming in a couple days.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 07:31 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its only $29.95 for the nitrogen. I think I may go for it especially if I can go for several years without filling my tires up and just to tell my friends that I have nitrogen in my tires.

Can u mix nitrogen and air in the tires. My guess is yes. I will also ask the dealership how many times I can come in in case I have to fill a tire up. Ya never know when ur going to run over a nail.
Old 12-01-10, 08:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by intellis
Its only $29.95 for the nitrogen. I think I may go for it especially if I can go for several years without filling my tires up
Except you can't do that. The air-loss difference is very small between all nitrogen and just air.

Originally Posted by intellis
Can u mix nitrogen and air in the tires. My guess is yes. I will also ask the dealership how many times I can come in in case I have to fill a tire up. Ya never know when ur going to run over a nail.
Did you miss the part where I explained that normal air is already composed of 78% nitrogen?

Seriously folks, paying for nitrogen on a normal street car is for total suckers.

Consumer Reports did a test over 1 full year. They found that over the whole year the nitrogen tires only lost 1.5 psi less than the normal air tires.

That's a nice, very tiny, benefit if it's free.

It's not worth paying for.
Old 12-02-10, 06:15 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-02-10, 10:53 AM
KingsLexus
Driver School Candidate

When I picked up my car a couple weeks ago, the dealer told me that the tires were already filled up with nitrogen, and that I could NOT "top it off" with regular air, only more nitrogen. If thats true its definitely not worth getting cuz of the added hassle of finding a place to fill up if tire pressure gets low.

Now I wonder if I can just drain the tires myself and fill it with regular air.
Old 12-02-10, 11:17 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KingsLexus
When I picked up my car a couple weeks ago, the dealer told me that the tires were already filled up with nitrogen, and that I could NOT "top it off" with regular air, only more nitrogen. If thats true its definitely not worth getting cuz of the added hassle of finding a place to fill up if tire pressure gets low.

Your dealer has no idea what they are talking about, and yes you can mix nitrogen and air; considering they are practically the exact same thing.
Old 12-02-10, 12:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you not read my post almost directly above your own?

Especially the part that points out-
Originally Posted by Kurtz
Did you miss the part where I explained that normal air is already composed of 78% nitrogen?
Old 12-02-10, 01:36 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
I would definetly NOT fill them with Nitrogen, thats just asking for a puncture and explosion.
No.

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Nitrogen is inert...thus no boom boom!

Nitrogen molecules are bigger than air molecules so tire pressure does not bleed off or vary as much as air. I bought some tires for a pickup I don't drive much. I used nitrogen...despite not driving much...the air pressure stays very even over long periods of time
There's no such thing as an "air molecule." As Kurtz explained, air is a composition of many different gases, primarily nitrogen (77%) and oxygen (22%).

Yes, nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules because atomic radius increases as one moves from right to left across the periodic table.

No, Nitrogen is not "inert." The only inert gases are the noble gases in period VIII - Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, Radon.

Nitrogen does not readily react with oxygen under the temperature conditions present within a tire, though. I think that's what you meant to say. The marginal increases in temperature aren't enough to surpass the activation energy barrier for an N2+O2 reaction. There's no advantage nor disadvantage either way for pure nitrogen or air as far as reactivity goes.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You guys realize normal air is almost 80% nitrogen already, right?

Pure (or nearly pure) nitrogen does leak more slowly, but it's a really really small difference. Like 1-2 psi over a whole year difference.

So it's nice if you can get it for free, but certainly not worth paying for in a normally driven street car.
Yes.

Originally Posted by mikez
lol the information in this thread is funny, specially the aspect about nitrogen blowing up.

Nitrogen is the best for tracking, the gas has a lower tendency to expand and contract under temperature change so your overall PSI is more predictable.
No. The relationships between pressure, volume, and temperature can (at least conceptually) be modeled by the ideal gas law.

PV = nRT

After a certain threshold PSI, volume changes within a tire are negligible and V can be considered a constant, thus

P = (nR/V)T = kT where k ~= constant

This is why it is important to measure and rectify tire pressure anomalies under cold conditions, because as your tires heat up (from driving), there will be a proportional increase in measured pressure that must be taken into account.

Pure nitrogen, however, does not have a "lower tendency to expand/contract" under temperature changes compared to a mixture of 77% nitrogen and 22% oxygen (i.e. "air").

This is nonsense. Whoever told you that is thoroughly clueless.

Kurtz is correct.

In addition to the (slight) advantages of pure nitrogen that have already been discussed, you also receive a slight weight advantage as well by filling your tires up with pure nitrogen over 77% nitrogen/22% oxygen.

Again, from the ideal gas law PV = nRT you can derive a corollary known as Avogadro's law which states that two equal containers (recall: after a certain threshold psi volume changes within a tire are negligible and V can be considered a constant) of gas at the same temperature (over the course of driving, temperature fluctuations are reasonably consistent in the case of pure nitrogen versus 77% nitrogen/22% oxygen) and pressure (P is relatively constant because this is the variable you actively control to keep it as constant as possible) contain the same number of particles.

n = (PV/RT) with P and V constants and T variable in a consistent way regardless of whether your tires are filled with pure nitrogen or air.

Nitrogen has a molecular mass of 14 g/mol whereas Oxygen as a molecular mass of 16 g/mol. In the case of air, the total pressure of the tire is equal to the partial pressure of nitrogen and the partial pressure of oxygen. In other words, both gases contribute to the total overall pressure.

In the case of pure nitrogen, however, the oxygen that was contributing to the total pressure in the first scenario is "replaced" with nitrogen which has a slightly lower molecular mass.

Given that the total number of particles are the same, you end up gaining a weight advantage equal to (2 grams/mol)*(# moles gas).

Again, it's negligible but it's still there. One day when I'm not feeling lazy, I might actually do a rough calculation to see just how much weight is saved by filling up one's tires with pure nitrogen over 77% nitrogen/22% oxygen.
Old 12-02-10, 03:15 PM
intellis
Pole Position

wow this has turned into a classroom.

syzygy you must be a chemistry major or a school teacher. You know more than kurtz. wow lol.
Old 12-02-10, 05:29 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Close enough, I have dual B.S. in biochemistry and neuroscience, and I'm in medical school right now.

As far as cars are concerned, Kurtz knows far more than I do. I don't know much, but I can reason my way through basic physical principles pretty well when they are applicable. I've learned a whole lot about cars from Kurtz over the years.
Old 12-03-10, 09:12 AM
nissan454
Rookie

Nitrogen is nice to get.
Old 12-03-10, 10:02 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
I would definetly NOT fill them with Nitrogen, thats just asking for a puncture and explosion.
Wow! Did you really just say that? You my friend FAILED chemistry.
Old 12-03-10, 11:22 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Carlx/syz are you Kurtz? Both of you guys have very similar response on CL.
Old 12-03-10, 02:29 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Ive never had those tires but Ive heard great things about them. They are supposed to be the best performance tire for the price you pay
Old 12-03-10, 06:21 PM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

I'm filling my tires with helium so I can float down the highway...

Brandon

Edit: On a serious note... If you are adding air to your tire every month because the light keeps coming on, you need to go have you tire repaired/replaced.

Last edited by JUSROLLIN; 12-03-10 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-04-10, 12:44 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Carlx/syz are you Kurtz? Both of you guys have very similar response on CL.
I'll tell you what - if I was Kurtz it would be rather odd for me to be talking about "myself" in the 3rd person wouldn't you say

I am carLx; I changed my name to syzygy not too long ago. Kurtz and I are different people, however, despite the fact that our matter-of-fact posting styles are often similar.

Quick Reply: I got a new set of tires coming in a couple days.