IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 03:56 PM
jay-b
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Starter

Anyone can refer me to some good remote starters and where to buy? Dont need nothing to fancy, and something that will work with the factory alarm system. I live near DC and its getting cold up here, and summers can be hot! would love to have the car warmed up in the winter and cooled in the summer when i get in, this is my next mod/Christmas present :-)
Old 12-02-10, 04:12 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Directed Electronics (maker of Viper, Python, Clifford, Valet, etc...) generally makes good quality units. Best Buy is the only real nationwide car electronics retailer left, there are plenty of good smaller shops as well. The most important thing to look for is the experience of the installer that will be doing the work and what kind of guarantee they offer on their workmanship. Preferably make sure they solder all connections and don't use wire taps for long term reliability.

Expect to spend anywhere from $300 to $600 depending on the features you want (Alarm, iPhone/Andriod phone control).
Old 12-02-10, 04:21 PM
jay-b
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info!....just called a local audio shop and they said they would have to look at the car since lexus is a luxury car and the could not quote me a price over the phone, is this true, it cant be installed like "regular" cars? am i being jipped for money?
Old 12-02-10, 04:21 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been discussed on here before. They don't work well with the factory alarm if you get an alarm like Clifford. Think your auto door lock with your hand on handle wouldn't work either.
Old 12-02-10, 04:44 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't say it's too much different than any other newer Toyota/Lexus push-to-start vehicle. You will have to use the aftermarket remote to unlock the car when the vehicle is started off of the remote start. I would also recommend the Xpresskit PKALL bypass module for the most seamless remote start function.

If the shop hasn't done a Lexus such as yours before, it would potentially lead me to question their experience level. The IS isn't a hard vehicle to do a remote start in.

Here's a thread with some decent info:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ote-start.html

As you'll see from this thread peoples experience vary greatly, most likely due to the quality of the install.

Last edited by Scotty; 12-02-10 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 04:52 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Ask your local dealership. A friend had it done they just take it to someone who know how and all it is just a remote start. You dont loose anything on your FOB key.
Old 12-02-10, 05:36 PM
09lexus250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im up here in minnesota and have been talking with shops and compustar directly and they have said the fortin bypass works best for the lexus is model. im planning on doing a 1way compustar pro system with install and bypass it is like 400. im planning on doing the drone add on and control everything from my android phone. it costs about another 400 for the drone add on. as long as you have internet you have control over your car. remote start and it makes it 2way when you add the drone system.

they did say the pkall bypass was horrible to use if anything i would do the fortin
Old 12-02-10, 06:48 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
It's been discussed on here before. They don't work well with the factory alarm if you get an alarm like Clifford. Think your auto door lock with your hand on handle wouldn't work either.
That's not correct, I have the Clifford G5 5.1 ... Everything works just like factory ... still have control for trunk, locks an windows ... It is something that only a professional should do; What I did was go onto the website for Clifford and found the nearest authorized dealer.
Old 12-02-10, 08:20 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Blu SC3....question. Does the auto unlock feature work anymore when you are within a few feet of the door handle? Or do you need both remotes in order for that to work? Can you ultimately get rid of your Lexus remote?
Old 12-03-10, 04:57 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Blu SC3....question. Does the auto unlock feature work anymore when you are within a few feet of the door handle? Or do you need both remotes in order for that to work? Can you ultimately get rid of your Lexus remote?
Yes it still works ... when the alarm is activated no, when you have the alarm not activated yes, say you want to leave the alarm in valet mod, it works then too. As for not having our fob key no you still need to carry it. The key still needs to be read after remote start. I know viper has the IPhone app, only prob. with that you need to be in WiFi area I believe, problem with getting rid of the fob key, what will you do if the battery goes dead, you need access to get inside, so I don't mind carrying it
Old 12-03-10, 06:39 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blu SC3
That's not correct, I have the Clifford G5 5.1 ... Everything works just like factory ... still have control for trunk, locks an windows ... It is something that only a professional should do; What I did was go onto the website for Clifford and found the nearest authorized dealer.
Where in florida are you and how much did it end up costing if you don't mind me asking
Old 12-03-10, 07:07 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was gonna get the remote start for the winter, but it seems pointless since the car doesn't really warm up until you start driving it so you'll just be burning gas. I could see it being useful for warmer places though if you want to cool your car down before getting in since the AC kicks in cold air quick in the summer.
Old 12-03-10, 07:10 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meangene
Where in florida are you and how much did it end up costing if you don't mind me asking
I don't mind .... I'm in the Pembroke Pines area.... everything was about a grand
Old 12-03-10, 07:17 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OPTiK
I was gonna get the remote start for the winter, but it seems pointless since the car doesn't really warm up until you start driving it so you'll just be burning gas. I could see it being useful for warmer places though if you want to cool your car down before getting in since the AC kicks in cold air quick in the summer.
Exactly was my main reason for getting it. I have a 3month old son and I didn't want him just getting into a 95+ degree car; specially with the heat here in S.Florida ... plus our factory alarms are a joke compared to this with the tilt sensors an all.
Old 12-03-10, 09:36 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I went to Best Buy in colorado springs and they told me they could not do my lexus, even with the express kit. The salesman looked it up and quoted me a price, but the installer said although he had the wiring diagrams, there were notes for installer stating do not install remote starter on this vehicle.

Does anyone know of any installer in colorado springs?

Quick Reply: Remote Starter