IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just Purchased an Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 10:49 AM
Chueezie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Purchased an Extended Warranty

Hi everyone. Just thought I would pass on some info just in case anyone is interested. I just purchased an extended warranty for my 07 IS350 from Jerry Johnson @ Midwest Toyota (7yr/100k) for $1,615. This was the absolute cheapest I was able to find. I'm in no way affiliated with Jerry or Midwest Toyota. Just thought I would help out the Lexus community. Tell him Sunny sent you.
Old 12-04-10, 11:00 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! What's the deductible and what is the company it's through? And do they refund the purchase price should you not use it?
Old 12-04-10, 12:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Thanks for the heads up! What's the deductible and what is the company it's through? And do they refund the purchase price should you not use it?
It's from lexus- he's a dealer. I wouldn't generally mess with 3rd party warranties.

Deductibles are either $0 or $50, your choice, and the $50 deductible plan is $50 less, so it makes no sense to every get anything but the $0 deductible unless you plan never to use it (in which case it doesn't make any sense to buy at all).

Jerry is who I got mine from too and was also the cheapest I could find (even cheaper than Troy or Toby)

No idea if they refund it if never used, since I got the 8 year one and plan to sell the car with 1 year left on the warranty to increase its resale value by still having 1 yr of warranty remaining.
Old 12-05-10, 10:36 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

Are those of you who purchased this warranty the original owners? Or does Lexus allow any car still under factory warranty to have it extended after inspection??
Old 12-05-10, 12:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cholmes1
Are those of you who purchased this warranty the original owners? Or does Lexus allow any car still under factory warranty to have it extended after inspection??
As far as I know any Lexus still under the original 4 yr/50 warranty is eligible to buy the extended warranty regardless of how many owners its had.

Why care about # of owners? If it's under factory warranty today you're entitled to have anything wrong with it fixed free, so the extended should be covering a "perfect" car 100% of the time.
Old 12-05-10, 01:37 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

As long as its still under the original 4/50 factory warranty you can get it.
Old 12-05-10, 08:54 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a good deal thanks for the info
Old 12-15-10, 08:49 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
As far as I know any Lexus still under the original 4 yr/50 warranty is eligible to buy the extended warranty regardless of how many owners its had.

Why care about # of owners? If it's under factory warranty today you're entitled to have anything wrong with it fixed free, so the extended should be covering a "perfect" car 100% of the time.
Thanks for the information. A dealer in the north suburbs of Chicago told me that I had to be the original owner to get the Certified 100K warranty extension.

He must have been trying to sell me on the spot?! Either way, you all believe that as long as I own a Lexus that is still under the factory warranty I will be able to purchase extended coverage for 3 yr / 100K.

Any chance any of you work at a dealership and can confirm this for me? I am looking to upgrade to an IS-F and buying a used one over an already certified one is a pretty steep price difference that would certainly cover the cost of the extended warranty.

Thanks
Old 12-15-10, 08:58 AM
JOYRIDER
Driver School Candidate

So to be clear, I could make a private party purchase on a Lexus that is still under the 4yr/50k warranty, go to a dealer and purchase the extended warranty?

Also, for this newb, can someone clarify what the warranty is that comes with a Certified Pre Owned Lexus bought from a dealer? Thanks.
Old 12-15-10, 09:06 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Yes you can
Old 12-15-10, 12:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JOYRIDER
So to be clear, I could make a private party purchase on a Lexus that is still under the 4yr/50k warranty, go to a dealer and purchase the extended warranty?
Yup.

Again, just think about it.

if it's still under the full warranty then anything wrong with it can be fixed for free.

Therefore as long as the extended warranty is purchased before that factory one expires it insures that a nothing-wrong-with-it car is getting the warranty extension.

So why would they care if you're the first owner, or if you bought it private party or not?

Originally Posted by JOYRIDER
Also, for this newb, can someone clarify what the warranty is that comes with a Certified Pre Owned Lexus bought from a dealer? Thanks.

The CPO warranty is a totally different animal.

It comes with a warranty good to either 100,000 miles or 3 years from WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT AS A CPO. Whichever comes first.

The Lexus extended warranty is available in a variety of year/mileage combos... pretty much any amount of years from 5-8...counted from when the vehicle was FIRST sold as a new car to anybody.... and pretty much any amount of miles up to either 75,000...100,000....or 125,000....

Obviously the price depends on the year/miles of warranty you want.... the 8 yr/125k one likely to be a lot more expensive than the 8 yr/75k one or the 7yr/100k one for example.
Old 12-15-10, 02:33 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's from lexus- he's a dealer. I wouldn't generally mess with 3rd party warranties.

Deductibles are either $0 or $50, your choice, and the $50 deductible plan is $50 less, so it makes no sense to every get anything but the $0 deductible unless you plan never to use it (in which case it doesn't make any sense to buy at all).

Jerry is who I got mine from too and was also the cheapest I could find (even cheaper than Troy or Toby)

No idea if they refund it if never used, since I got the 8 year one and plan to sell the car with 1 year left on the warranty to increase its resale value by still having 1 yr of warranty remaining.
Kurtz,

How much did you pay for your 8 year warranty and how many miles is it?
Old 12-15-10, 05:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Kurtz,

How much did you pay for your 8 year warranty and how many miles is it?
Mine is 8yr/75k miles, $0 deductible platinum warranty for $1415. (MSRP on this warranty is $2175). Car is at 3 years 2 months old presently with about 22,000 on it so I figure at 7 years I'll be around 50-60k miles and I can sell it with 1 yr/10k of full warranty remaining to get max resale value.
Old 12-15-10, 06:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Easiest thing to do is check out the MSRP's on the Lexus site and call around to see what kind of discount you can get.

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...elected=IS_350
Old 01-03-11, 03:54 AM
kentutz
Driver School Candidate

Can one purchase OEM extended warranty from any dealership?

Quick Reply: Just Purchased an Extended Warranty