IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does the IS350 RWD handle terribly in snow or is it just mine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 10:03 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
Unfortunately, the is350 doesn't have a limited slip rear differential, so even with snow tires, going up an incline is a pita. If one tire looses traction and spins, the other one just sits there and looks pretty. Disappointed at the japanese
Maybe anyone could clarify this with me. I was told from the sale lady on the IS250 (maybe the 350 as well), there was a design change for the RWD vehicles to use limited slip differentials 2009+ or something.
Old 12-06-10, 10:16 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
Unfortunately, the is350 doesn't have a limited slip rear differential, so even with snow tires, going up an incline is a pita. If one tire looses traction and spins, the other one just sits there and looks pretty. Disappointed at the japanese
The way it is supposed to work is that when one tire loses grip, the traction control computer reduces engine power and applies the brakes on the spinning wheel, transferring torque to the other side. Not as good as a true LSD, but better than nothing.
Old 12-06-10, 10:38 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind your mileage will be worse when your car is cold. The engine idles much higher until the engine is completely warmed up, so on short trips in cooler weather, expect your mileage to take a dip. I'm averaging 10.5L/100km (22mpg for those who cannot accept the metric system) in cold weather, and that includes the occasional hoonage in the snow.
Old 12-06-10, 11:05 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

the best way for you to safe when you drive RWD car in the winter is to get the WINTER tires, I got IS300 before and got winter tires on and never got stuck in the winter in Ohio where is a lot of snow
Old 12-06-10, 04:06 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to clarify, I do have winter tires that are in good shape. I tried parallel parking at school today at a spot with snow and it got in fairly well. However, driving down the ally where snow isn't plowed away and snow has melted and froze in some areas, this car simply can't handle it. I tried parking in my garage and when I was driving up the 3-4 inch incline, it simply wouldn't climb in. Without pressing the gas pedal and leaving the car to move the 4-5 MPH it does by itself, the rear wheels keep spinning on the ice in the middle of the ally and my car was rolling out of the garage (backwards) even when the tires are spinning forward. I finally got in after gunning it to 4000 RPM after taking it easy but that didn't work.
Old 12-06-10, 04:10 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then maybe it's your "snow" tires. LOL I know what you are talking about, you're describing what my car felt like when it had on summer sports. When I switched to real "snow" tires, my IS drove like it was on rails. I hardly ever saw the yellow warning unless I was playing around. And that's here in KS with moderate snow. I hardly ever use snow mode.
Old 12-06-10, 04:14 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
Then maybe it's your "snow" tires. LOL I know what you are talking about, you're describing what my car felt like when it had on summer sports. When I switched to real "snow" tires, my IS drove like it was on rails. I hardly ever saw the yellow warning unless I was playing around. And that's here in KS with moderate snow. I hardly ever use snow mode.
He is using the winter bridgestone blizzak tires. Maybe they are worn out eek!!

Originally Posted by Sango
Maybe anyone could clarify this with me. I was told from the sale lady on the IS250 (maybe the 350 as well), there was a design change for the RWD vehicles to use limited slip differentials 2009+ or something.
Seems like I may have been mistaken. It is the IS-F from 2009 and up that have true limited slip differentials.
Old 12-08-10, 02:23 PM
wilwilB
Driver

I gotta say, you're the most mature 18yo I've heard on the internet. Last 18yo I saw on the internet was arguing over how justin bieber is better than john lennon with ThIS KinDA TyPInG. So I gotta give you a for being a mature 18yo lol. As for driving your car in snow I don't think it is the problem of the car but the way you drive it as others have mentioned. Altho mine is a manual 250 I manged to go through two Canadian winter. A few people I know who owns a 350 never had any problem either. Just a few tips for driving in snow. Throttle control is very important especially with a car that has over 300 horsepower, and putting it in snow mode definitely helps alot. Put some weight in the trunk helps to gain traction on a rwd vehicle. Hope they help and enjoy your 350! I wish I have a 350 when I was 18 you're very lucky
Old 12-08-10, 05:00 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

sometimes you gotta just keep it moving and not stop on snow or ice. Starting from a dead stop with no momentum is always a pita
Old 12-08-10, 05:46 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

my IS350 w/blizzaks drives better than my neighbors X5 in snow :-) all I got to say
Old 12-08-10, 07:55 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Might have to play with the gas and breaks to get the traction going so the other wheel can move.

Unless one is willing upgrade and get an aftermarket locking LSD, then it woud make a difference.

http://www.osgiken.co.jp/news/lexus/index.html
http://www.dezod.com/pd-os-giken-limited.cfm

Last edited by Sango; 12-08-10 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 08:10 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

A RWD IS350 is pretty worthless in any amount of snow unless you have winter tires on it. Be careful or you'll wind up like this (not my car) ........

Old 12-08-10, 08:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
A RWD IS350 is pretty worthless in any amount of snow unless you have winter tires on it. Be careful or you'll wind up like this (not my car) ........[/img]
Is that really a ditch it fell into? For some reason, I'm getting an impression that it looks like it is photoshopped due to the way the car is sitting and the area surrounding the car (lack of elevation change).
Old 12-08-10, 09:11 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just got nailed with an inch of sheet ice here in WA, and my IS made it 5 blocks before getting parked in a lot for 2 days. The wide GoodYears F1 AS on the rear were 100% worthless. Every time I released the brake (at idle) the rears simply spun and shoved itself against the curb while my nose just sat there.
As of yesterday I'm on 17" rims and new Blizzaks WS70's (225/45 all around).

Your tires (Blizzaks) are considered one of the best out there, but if you are still running wide widths, you could be having problems there. Snow and Ice tires should be as narrow as possible.

2 cents
V
Old 12-08-10, 10:26 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CleverName
We just got nailed with an inch of sheet ice here in WA, and my IS made it 5 blocks before getting parked in a lot for 2 days. The wide GoodYears F1 AS on the rear were 100% worthless. Every time I released the brake (at idle) the rears simply spun and shoved itself against the curb while my nose just sat there.
As of yesterday I'm on 17" rims and new Blizzaks WS70's (225/45 all around).

Your tires (Blizzaks) are considered one of the best out there, but if you are still running wide widths, you could be having problems there. Snow and Ice tires should be as narrow as possible.

2 cents
V
Are youl like in the Spokane area? Nothing in Bellevue or Issaquah over here!

Quick Reply: Does the IS350 RWD handle terribly in snow or is it just mine?