IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

90K service necessary? which ones are?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 02:47 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90K service necessary? which ones are?

I know that the service manual basically says that a service should be done every 15K. I'm not talking oil change; I'm talking about changing fluids, etc. You know "retorquing flange bolts", which every mechanic I've talked to says is BS.

I'm about to hit my 90K (less than 500 miles to go) and I'm not sure if I want to shell out $600 for it (or even $300-400 at a third-party mechanic). Is it worth it? Do I really need all those fluids changed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-10-10, 06:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
I know that the service manual basically says that a service should be done every 15K. I'm not talking oil change; I'm talking about changing fluids, etc. You know "retorquing flange bolts", which every mechanic I've talked to says is BS.

I'm about to hit my 90K (less than 500 miles to go) and I'm not sure if I want to shell out $600 for it (or even $300-400 at a third-party mechanic). Is it worth it? Do I really need all those fluids changed?

Thanks in advance!
There's nothing "every 15k" except checking the air and cabin filters.

Every 30k you change those filters, as well as the brake fluid. (so 90k would be one of those times)

Every 60k you change the plugs

Every 100k you change the coolant.

That's it besides oil changes as far as scheduled maintenance on the RWD cars... (the AWD ones rotate their tires every 5k too)
Old 12-10-10, 06:57 PM
racerboi07
Rookie

no belts or radiator hoses to worry about?? water pump?? im about to get there too.. =/
Old 12-10-10, 10:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by racerboi07
no belts or radiator hoses to worry about?? water pump?? im about to get there too.. =/
None changed on any sort of schedule, no... replace if or when they wear or leak.
Old 12-11-10, 10:38 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's nothing "every 15k" except checking the air and cabin filters.

Every 30k you change those filters, as well as the brake fluid. (so 90k would be one of those times)

Every 60k you change the plugs

Every 100k you change the coolant.

That's it besides oil changes as far as scheduled maintenance on the RWD cars... (the AWD ones rotate their tires every 5k too)
Thanks for the info. I printed out the page from the dealership, so I guess I should take it to my mechanic and see what he says. Since I have an IS250M, I honestly don't use my brakes that much... at 60K, I still had about 75% left. I figured my brake fluid should be fine too..
Old 12-11-10, 10:42 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Incorrect... Spark plugs dont get changed until 90-100k... iridium plugs. Trans fluid, which is world standard, gets changes at 90-100k. I would also flush out the brake fluid, differential fluid, and change your cabin and engine air filters... So, since you're at 90k.. i would take care of all of that stuff. Belts usually dont get changed until they need to be.. but at 90k, i would change the drive belt too. Hoses.. leave em alone, they are pretty durable.
Old 12-12-10, 09:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Incorrect... Spark plugs dont get changed until 90-100k...
Wrong.

Read the owners manual.

It's 60k.

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Trans fluid, which is world standard, gets changes at 90-100k.
The automatic never is changed, it's a sealed system. It's physically impossible to change a significant amount of it.

But the poster has a manual anyway.
Old 12-12-10, 10:51 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Most Denso Iridium Long-Life plugs get changed at 120,000 miles (192,000km). The IS250/350 do not use standard Iridium plugs like other Toyota engines do, they are to be changed at 60,000 miles (96,000km).

Lexus doesn't have a specified time to change the transmission fluid, it is to be inspected for leaks when the vehicle is in for service. A "Drain & Refill" for the 2WD is listed as 7.1L, while for the AWD, it is listed as 8.9L. Doing this service isn't as easy as just draining and refilling though, you need a computer connected to the vehicle to adjust fluid level properly.

Brake fluid normally gets changed every 20,000 miles (32,000km), so you wouldn't be due for that yet.

Really it depends what you've had done up to this point, because if you have been following ALL of the recommended services to this point, at 90k miles, you should basically just be changing the cabin and engine air filters. If you missed some stuff previously, you'll need to catch up obviously.

There aren't a lot of "big" services for the Lexus, they're quite spread out and there isn't really a single mileage you get to when there is a large dollar amount scheduled to be spent. You do the normal maintenance items continually, and anything bigger than that (belts, hoses, etc.) will be done when they need to be done based on inspection.

Jeff
Old 12-12-10, 02:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

Lexus doesn't have a specified time to change the transmission fluid, it is to be inspected for leaks when the vehicle is in for service. A "Drain & Refill" for the 2WD is listed as 7.1L, while for the AWD, it is listed as 8.9L. Doing this service isn't as easy as just draining and refilling though, you need a computer connected to the vehicle to adjust fluid level properly.
Doing the service is physically impossible. That's one of the reasons the manual explictly states the tranmisssion never requires a fluid change.

You can not remove any significant amount of fluid (dropping the pan entirely only gets ~1.3 L out)

The method for adding fluid only exists to replace fluid lost to a leak in the system.

If you can provide a procedure where you can actually change all or most of the fluid we'd love to see it though, as folks have been waiting years for such info. There was a 7+ page thread on the topic a while back including all the diagrams from TIS showing it can't be done.

Brake fluid normally gets changed every 20,000 miles (32,000km), so you wouldn't be due for that yet.
Every 30,000 miles actually, per the service manual... or every 2 years. The time interval is better here since brake fluid gets water in it just sitting around.
Old 12-12-10, 03:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I calculated my mileage based on the recommended kilometers in Canada. Apologies for the inconsistencies.

As for the transmission fluid, you are correct. The only time you're going to get the amount of fluid I listed into the transmission is if you're putting in a new transmission. That is what I was implying when I said it's not as easy as draining and refilling. You'd have to physically disassemble the transmission to get all of the fluid out of it. Even if you change the valve body, you're still going to get less than 3.0L out of there. A large portion of the ATF is contained inside of the torque converter.

If you replace the torque converter and the valve body, you could take care of most of the ATF, but still not all of it.

Either way, this is still a moot point for the original poster, as he has a manual transmission.

Jeff
Old 12-12-10, 07:50 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I calculated my mileage based on the recommended kilometers in Canada. Apologies for the inconsistencies...
Don't worries. The miles / kilometers are relative, as they did not use an exact conversion.
Old 12-12-10, 09:49 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Yeah my calculations were correct, they just recommend it more often in Canada. I know usually we are on a more severe driving schedule due to our weather, etc. than the USA, so sometimes things are different.

Jeff