IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking of switching from IS250AWD to GS350AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 04:40 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i like both cars. i own a 3GS and i have driven a couple 2IS as loaner cars. the one thing i really like more about the 3GS over the 2IS is the amount of room you have in the 3GS.

Gas mileage is pretty much the same. i get about 21 mpg on just in town driving and ive gone as high as 29mph hwy.

Just make sure that the dash rattle is gone. That seems to drive everyone crazy.
Old 12-20-10, 06:45 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, greatly appreciated especially since I got zero responses in the GS forum! Sorry for the late response, I left for Phoenix at 6:30am Friday from Denver and didn't get in until 5:00pm. I missed my initial flight, obviously my fault, but frustrating to be in transit on an airline almost as long as the drive would've taken..
I drove the 07 GS350AWD that I linked to in my initial post on Saturday. Initially I heard a fair amount of ticking coming from the motor, it was much louder than the DI ticking from my IS250. As I started driving there was a lot of whining coming from the front end. Sounded diff related and I've heard this is somewhat common on the AWD so it was not a major concern. Since it was my first GS experience and I was solo for the test drive I obviously took that beech for a ride! Once it got warm I must say it drove great. I gave her the old WOT on the freeway on ramp treatment and was quite impressed. Damn it was such a smooth ride, I do have some negative feedback on this car though..
It is advertised in the ad that this vehicle is a Lemon Law Buyback and the car came from Cali. It was essentially bought back because the front seat belt assembly was replaced 3 times. I read the paperwork from the dealer on the buyback. They have also replaced:

2007-2008
-Both Cam gears
-Timing Cover
-Radio Assembly

2008-2009
-Right Front seat switch
-Intake Camshaft Gears
-Front Brake discs, shim kit, and pads
-Valve cover gasket
-Removed engine and took apart to reseal timing chain cover
-Replaced Fuel delivery pipes

Sounds like the motor has been open 3 times and only has 27K miles
Such a shame because the car is almost mint besides few typical paint chips. I was always taught to never buy someone else's nightmare, this certainly appears to have been just that...
I hope that if someone does buy this car they are ready to buy a motor shortly thereafter!
Again such a shame, I'll just wait a bit longer for the right deal to come along. Thanks again for all the responses
-Fisher