IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking of switching from IS250AWD to GS350AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 10:34 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of switching from IS250AWD to GS350AWD

First off I know this is going to spark a lot of "defend the IS above all else" feelings with some of you. I'm more looking for pros and cons regarding the switch. I believe the GS is larger and obviously going to be heavier than the IS but more specific info from an experienced GS'er would be appreciated. I've never been in or driven a GS of any generation and I know we have members on here who own or have owned both a GS and an IS.
I really want to stick with AWD and have been craving the 350AWD setup for some time now. Obviously if I want to stick with the IS I would have to get a 2011 which is not a realistic financial possibility ATM. The 3rd gen GS styling has grown on me in the past year and I'm thinking of switching since 07-09 used GS350 AWDs seem to be reasonably priced these days.
Any advice from those of you with experience driving a GS, especially 3rd gen, would be greatly appreciated.
I have an 06 IS250AWD and am looking at 07-09 GS350 AWDs.

How about this one with the dealer buyback for the front seatbelts? Seems like the resale would be much lower with a dealer buyback on record but that asking price is schweet!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Please let me know, I'm going to check that one out this weekend just to get my feet wet. I live in Denver but I'll be visiting family in Phoenix anyways so why not?! Thanks in advance!

-Fisher
Old 12-16-10, 12:27 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

id switch if i could, but i like the IS cuz of the sport look vs the GS which i guess is more luxurious, cant go wrong with either one tho, id say go for it and try something new
Old 12-16-10, 05:46 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

I've put a few hundred miles on an 07 GS350. My daily driver is an 06 IS350. The GS has a MUCH nicer ride. The one I drove had lots of options, where as my IS is pretty plain, so that was a nice point on the IS. My step mom has put about 120k miles on the GS in 3 years with nothing but a few sets of tires and 1 set of new brakes. No other problems at all. The car looks perfect inside and out. The GS is not nearly as fast or responsive as the IS, but is very nice to drive. It is probably a bit faster than the 250 (don't know numbers), but probably wouldn't handle quite as well. The GS did not have paddle shifters, if you cared about that. Not sure it was an option or not. Since you wouldn't really be giving up speed, and would think you would be very happy with the GS.
Old 12-16-10, 06:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
I've put a few hundred miles on an 07 GS350. My daily driver is an 06 IS350. The GS has a MUCH nicer ride. The one I drove had lots of options, where as my IS is pretty plain, so that was a nice point on the IS. My step mom has put about 120k miles on the GS in 3 years with nothing but a few sets of tires and 1 set of new brakes. No other problems at all. The car looks perfect inside and out. The GS is not nearly as fast or responsive as the IS, but is very nice to drive. It is probably a bit faster than the 250 (don't know numbers), but probably wouldn't handle quite as well. The GS did not have paddle shifters, if you cared about that. Not sure it was an option or not. Since you wouldn't really be giving up speed, and would think you would be very happy with the GS.
The GS350 is much quicker than the IS250... and only a little bit slower than the IS350. It's the same engine IS350 and GS350 (though tune is slightly different, meaning the GS makes 3 less peak hp and 3 less peak tq, but it makes both at lower rpms), just the GS is about 300 lbs heavier and geared less aggressively (3.73 rear in the GS vs 4.08 in the IS... transmission gears are the same).

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-16-10 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 06:47 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

GS's are gangster. I say do it. More room in the back too, if that is at all necessary for you, i know for me, the back seats of the 2IS never get used, not because of size, just because I'm not a bus
Old 12-16-10, 09:52 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely go for it... and the one you are looking at Autotrader has a nice package, if you can get them to lower the price a bit more, you would be getting a sweet deal.
Old 12-16-10, 11:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Fisher
How about this one with the dealer buyback for the front seatbelts? Seems like the resale would be much lower with a dealer buyback on record but that asking price is schweet!
Am I the only one that finds the claim that Lexus did a vehicle buyback for a car with nothing more than a stuck seatbelt just a little suspicious?

Replacing the entire seatbelt mechanism on both driver and front passenger positions only takes about an hour or two -- as many of us with early 2006 2IS cars know. We had our cars recalled for this very problem under special service campaign 6LC.

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-10, 11:31 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i would totally do the trade. the GS is a very nice looking car IMO. in addition its quite faster
Old 12-16-10, 11:47 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would do it if I hadthe choice now. I don't need a bigger car, but the GS is Baller! Not sure on gas mileage difference.
Old 12-16-10, 11:54 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a bigger car the get it... I was gonna get a GS origionally but I liked the styling of the IS better when I got to the dealership and it was cheaper so yea. Definately a sweet car inside and out
Old 12-16-10, 12:02 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off I know this is going to spark a lot of "defend the IS above all else" feelings with some of you...
huh? while we are IS fanboys here, we also LOVE the GS too~

Get the GS
Old 12-16-10, 12:34 PM
shiny250
Advanced

when i had drop off my uncle at the airport, we took his GS350. when i drove it home, it felt like i was driving a bus after driving an IS for so long. i would hate to think how it'd be if i drove an LS But it definitely felt like it had a smoother ride with a quiet and roomy interior. the GS is a ballin car. if you do make the switch, congrats!
Old 12-16-10, 09:27 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
Am I the only one that finds the claim that Lexus did a vehicle buyback for a car with nothing more than a stuck seatbelt just a little suspicious?

Replacing the entire seatbelt mechanism on both driver and front passenger positions only takes about an hour or two -- as many of us with early 2006 2IS cars know. We had our cars recalled for this very problem under special service campaign 6LC.
I agree it certainly raised concern for me. That's why I'm not really in love with this one, just planning to check it out since I'll be in AZ any ways. I have some auto experience so I'm going to look it over pretty close for any signs of bodywork. Maybe I can squeak a test drive out of them My initial thought was perhaps there is some regulation that I'm not aware of that requires the dealer to buy back the car, but then why would it be back on the street? Maybe sold at auction by the dealer? Now after hearing of the 06IS seatbelt recall I have an even more difficult time believing this ad. The price is very nice especially with some good negotiating but I don't want to buy someone else's nightmare either.
I'm flying out to AZ in the morning and I'm going to try to hit up that dealership tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what happens...

I greatly appreciate all the responses, thanks gents

-Fisher
Old 12-16-10, 09:32 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The GS350 is much quicker than the IS250... and only a little bit slower than the IS350. It's the same engine IS350 and GS350 (though tune is slightly different, meaning the GS makes 3 less peak hp and 3 less peak tq, but it makes both at lower rpms), just the GS is about 300 lbs heavier and geared less aggressively (3.73 rear in the GS vs 4.08 in the IS... transmission gears are the same).
Kurtz do you know if that statement holds true for the AWD models as well, mainly regarding the gearing?
Old 12-17-10, 04:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Kurtz do you know if that statement holds true for the AWD models as well, mainly regarding the gearing?
Rear end on AWD350 is 4.10, on AWDGS350 it's 3.73... so it's very very slightly moreso for the AWD.

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching from IS250AWD to GS350AWD