IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rev match???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 01:00 PM
jaxxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
rev matching in a AT...HA silly IS owners...
my AT BMW rev matches..... still stuck in the early 90s????? HAHA
Old 12-22-10, 01:09 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
you do know there is rev matching in other AT vehicles right? For instance the IS-F and the g37, just to name two.
lol i know i was just playing around.

Originally Posted by jaxxx
my AT BMW rev matches..... still stuck in the early 90s????? HAHA
lol troll

typical bmw douchery.
Old 12-22-10, 04:24 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow the knowledge level and IQ here has dropped so rapidly lol.

I guess if I drive a manual and jam my gear from 5th into 3rd and the engine jumps to redline means my manual is rev matching too.

So wonderful, that means ever since the 1900s cars have been auto rev matching!
Old 12-28-10, 07:26 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=06isDriver;6012217]
What did you guys talk about? did you tell them to give us an ecu upgrade for rev matching? QUOTE]

I tried to make a pitch for a G37S inspired IS350. Something between a 350 and an F. Like a 335 fits between a 328 and an M3. If Lexus' spin on a sport sedan is to build a more luxurious version, then there are at least 3 things that would please a performance oriented enthusiast while not detracting from a luxurious experience AT ALL.

They are:
-An AT that rev matches downshifts
-Substantial multi-piston fixed calipers combined with large diameter and thick rotors
-LSD

I even suggested add'l mods such as larger sway bars, tighter and lower ride height springs, and quicker ratio steering. I told him they could stand to take a peak at the Infiniti and BMW play books. I also said that in an order to keep costs down they could use their existing F-Sport line and ISF parts to do it.
-ISF style rev-matching downshifts, but maintain the IS350 trans
-ISF brakes
-ISF LSD
-F-Sport Sway bars
-etc.?

I told him there are probably plenty of drivers willing to spend another $4k-$7k on a properly prepared "sport" package from the factory.

I also told him that only allowing their products to be avail. through a dealer parts dept. instead of having an opp. to buy a car with everything in place from the factory gives a Ford Racing or GM Performance Parts feel to things. Not that I have a problem with either of those divisions, but that approach probably doesn't have the same appeal to a Lexus buyer.

I think that was all. I hope he took notes.
Old 12-28-10, 07:59 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Let's take a poll. Everyone here who knows what a torque converter is, raise your hand. Of that group, everyone who knows how one works, keep your hands raised. Everyone else, shut up.

When you force the transmission down a gear, the converter forces the motor to spin up. This is not the computer opening the throttle to match the rpm to the new speed of the trans.
Old 04-11-11, 03:42 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know
Old 04-11-11, 07:40 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, if you triple tap the paddle up and then tap it down it will shift you into 5. I've done it a few times, though the last time I did it, it dropped to 3 but i think its because i wasn't going that fast. More testing coming...
Old 04-11-11, 07:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
FYI, if you triple tap the paddle up and then tap it down it will shift you into 5. I've done it a few times, though the last time I did it, it dropped to 3 but i think its because i wasn't going that fast. More testing coming...
The paddles aren't shifters. The automatic transmission will always put the car in the most appropriate gear within the allowed range.

You can't shift the car directly. The only thing you can ever do is lock out higher gears from the allowed range for the automatic transmission to pick from.
Old 04-12-11, 01:31 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 100plus
Can we see a video of your car doing the blips?
Definitely. I would love to do this. But I do not have a companion with me who can do that and understand what I am trying to do. Need to find one. Anyways, here is what my car does. Tell me if this is blip or I am misunderstanding one for the other.

Car is in S mode. 4th gear. 40mph and accelerating.
my foot is on the gas, pressing the pedal down.
I hit '-' paddle and
i. the rpm shoots up
ii. an instant later the gear change to 3rd happens and there is no jerking or engine rearing up effect.

In essence, the computer has shot the rpm to where it should be after the gear change, but before the actual gear change happened.

I really need to make a video, but it is very difficult to do it with the camera in one hand.
Need to somehow stick the camera to the steering wheel.

Last edited by chikoo; 04-12-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 03:31 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

no you dont need to do that....it isnt rev matching....just being forced into a higher rpm.
Old 04-12-11, 07:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
no you dont need to do that....it isnt rev matching....just being forced into a higher rpm.
After driving cars for over 25 years now, half of that using stick shifts, I think I do understand when the engine rpm is shooting up from gear engagement and when it is not. Please don't be so adamant. There is something different about this scenario that I am talking about.
Old 04-12-11, 08:23 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

whats more logical in this scenario:

1. That your particular car has a completely different ecu that allows and can calculate for rev matching while no other isx50 auto in the world can?

2. That you may be mistaken on what you feel you are experiencing.

Go test drive the infiniti g37 and you'll know what rev matching is, you'll KNOW.

rev matching is the one thing I miss from the infiniti brand. i know the isx50 does not do it.
Old 04-12-11, 09:09 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

An automatic transmission uses several one-way clutches. These are like on a bicycle which allows you to coast without pedalling. So in a normal automatic in Drive, when you are not pressing the gas such as when you are coasting or braking, torque from the wheels is hardly transmitted back to the engine. Because of this, there is no rev matching on downshifts (in Drive).

However, the way the IS auto is designed, it does have engine braking (torque from the wheels is transmitted back to the engine) in gears 4, 5 and 6 (D or S modes), as well as the highest gear in S3, S2 and S1 modes. So if you force a downshift by going into a lower S mode, the torque from the wheels will push the revs up, but this is after the shift. There is no 'throttle blip' to match the revs before or during the shift.

Also the torque converter in an auto reduces the torque transmitted from the wheels back to the engine, and reduces driveline shock. This also makes rev matching unnecessary.

Auto and manual transmissions are so fundamentally different that it is foolish to try to imitate driving practices from one to the other.
Old 04-12-11, 09:18 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chikoo
my foot is on the gas, pressing the pedal down.
You have already opened the throttle. The engine revs will increase as soon as the gearbox downshifts.
Old 04-12-11, 09:27 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikoo
After driving cars for over 25 years now, half of that using stick shifts, I think I do understand when the engine rpm is shooting up from gear engagement and when it is not. Please don't be so adamant. There is something different about this scenario that I am talking about.
You've shown in this thread that you don't quite understand how S mode works.

Rev matching is a very specific phenomenon, and no ISx50 has it. You're just flat out wrong; I don't know how else to put it.

Quick Reply: Rev match???