Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 04:38 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Thanks mi-cah-iah!

Maybe this will help more..

I start the car and shift to 'S'. Automatically the limit is '4'.
I use the '-' paddle to bring the upper limit down to '2'.
Now I floor the gas pedal and it will start moving in '1' and shift to '2' automatically at it's optimum point.
The engine is roaring and now getting near to red-line.
At this time I use the '+' paddle to change the upper limit to '3'.
Guess what happens? The transmission will shift to '3'.
Again as you approach the red-line, up the limit to '4' and it will shift to '4'.
So on and so forth for '5' and '6'.

And if for any reason, you had to slow down, the transmission will down shift to the optimum gear for you. So what is wrong with this implementation? Nothing as far as a DD goes that wants to hold gears and experience red-line revving without hurting the power train.
Well, there's the fact that if you just left it in D you'd get much faster shifts, so all you're doing with the paddles is slowing the car down...

Because by the time the human driving the car realizes he's actually near the rev limiter and moves the paddle, he's already bouncing off it.

If you paddle up soon enough that you don't hit the rev limiter then all you've done is duplicated what the car would've done if you'd left it in D, while doing a lot more work to get there.

This is why people who use the paddles at the drag strip get bad results.

If trying to "push" the car then let the computer do the shifting with the full range of gears available to it. It's much faster and more consistent than the human driving it is.

If you really want to be able to shift the car directly with paddles then trade up to an IS-F. You're only fooling yourself thinking you're doing it in a 250/350.
Old 12-20-10, 04:40 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
Yes, read my previous post (I posted a link to another thread). The paddles aren't shifters. They aren't supposed to shift into a higher gear when you press the + paddle.
Cheers to a very informative post. I thought I could play Speed Racer with these paddles but I guess not.
Old 12-20-10, 04:50 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, there's the fact that if you just left it in D you'd get much faster shifts, so all you're doing with the paddles is slowing the car down...

Because by the time the human driving the car realizes he's actually near the rev limiter and moves the paddle, he's already bouncing off it.

If you paddle up soon enough that you don't hit the rev limiter then all you've done is duplicated what the car would've done if you'd left it in D, while doing a lot more work to get there.

This is why people who use the paddles at the drag strip get bad results.

If trying to "push" the car then let the computer do the shifting with the full range of gears available to it. It's much faster and more consistent than the human driving it is.

If you really want to be able to shift the car directly with paddles then trade up to an IS-F. You're only fooling yourself thinking you're doing it in a 250/350.
Agreed, agreed and agreed.

What you missed in my post was the word DD for daily driver who wants to have fun. Fastest 0-60 does not necessarily equate to Fun, at least in my dictionary. The computer knows best when to shift and does it faster than any human being, and that is that is why Nissan does not even provide a manual stick shift with the GT-R. What the shifter paddles provide is "Fun" at times when you are revving above 3500 at which time your shifter paddles will actually shift up or down as you want, as long as you keep the revs above 3500. Try it.

Regarding the IS-F, So what is the point of manually being able to up-shift to 6 when the car is really doing well in 5? Beats me Yes, I understand I have that "option", but what good does it do over an intelligent automatic?
Keep in mind over half my driving experience has been with stick shifts as a DD. Never really tracked or street raced, and I don't expect most drivers to do that anyways.
Old 05-02-11, 06:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Key points / Definitive guide to using the Paddles:

Straight line acceleration: keep the car in 'D' mode. Do not switch on Power mode.

Quick boost for overtaking at higher speeds: Slap the gear stick to 'S'. Switches the gear to '4' right away. At the same time, hit the gas pedal. The rpm match that happens as a result of this is just wonderful and you shoot away like a bullet without any herky-jerking gear shift experience.

Rapid Deceleration for a sharp turn: Slap the gear stick to 'S'. Switches the gear to '4' right away. If you need more engine braking, slap the '-' paddle once or twice to get to '3' or '2' depending upon your need.

Maintaining power levels on a hilly road: Slap the gear stick to 'S' and slap the '-' paddle once or twice to get to '3' or '2' depending upon your need. This will keep your gear shifts optimized for the hilly terrain.

Not recommended: upshifting by means of the paddle shifters...neeee...gear limiters. Keep it in 'D'. The computer is optimized to shift very well for the engine and transmission combination and in my opinion bests most manual stick shift gear changes.