IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 01:26 PM
Rattltrunk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shifters

On the newer IS, you can press the paddles without moving the shifter to S, is there a way to do that with the 06 model?
Old 12-17-10, 01:44 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Only '09+ models.
Old 12-17-10, 07:01 PM
kslater
Driver

The paddles are a big waste of time. I would love to know what they were thinking putting such a useless feature in the car.
Old 12-17-10, 07:33 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the paddles, very useful when you need to get to places in a hurry
Old 12-17-10, 07:58 PM
kslater
Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
I love the paddles, very useful when you need to get to places in a hurry
Can you explain that please?
Old 12-17-10, 08:18 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the most part the gear limiters are a waste of time.

There is one scenario where they are useful. Say you are waiting to take a 90 degree turn onto a busy road. Sometimes while rolling out and taking the turn simultaneously at low speed, the car will automatically shift from 1st gear to a higher gear too prematurely for my taste. As a result, once I am parallel to the road and ready to go WOT, upon WOT the car has to shift back from 2nd to 1st gear.

I find that to be slightly irritating. I wish the car would hold 1st gear through the turn. That's where the gear limiters come in. Simply limit the car to 1st gear through the turn, and the moment you go WOT press the "+" paddle 5 times as quickly as possible (while you are going WOT). Problem solved.
Old 12-17-10, 08:46 PM
jaxxx
Pole Position

It's useful for the 09
Old 12-17-10, 08:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy

There is one scenario where they are useful. Say you are waiting to take a 90 degree turn onto a busy road. Sometimes while rolling out and taking the turn simultaneously at low speed, the car will automatically shift from 1st gear to a higher gear too prematurely for my taste. As a result, once I am parallel to the road and ready to go WOT, upon WOT the car has to shift back from 2nd to 1st gear.

I find that to be slightly irritating. I wish the car would hold 1st gear through the turn. That's where the gear limiters come in. Simply limit the car to 1st gear through the turn, and the moment you go WOT press the "+" paddle 5 times as quickly as possible (while you are going WOT). Problem solved.
Throwing the stick from S over to D seems faster than paddling up 5 times and does the same thing...

Personally the only use I find for em is driving through the mountains to save your brakes.
Old 12-17-10, 09:02 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Throwing the stick from S over to D seems faster than paddling up 5 times and does the same thing...

Personally the only use I find for em is driving through the mountains to save your brakes.
Not a bad idea, good call.
Old 12-17-10, 09:04 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kslater
Can you explain that please?
It helps that when I approach lights thats turning green I am downshifting into 3rd or 2nd so I can take off right away.

Also when I come into on ramps for highways I am in the optimum torque band by being in 2nd or 3rd again.

Also I can stay in low gear for a section of the road that will eventually open up etc.

Nothing I hate more than stepping on the gas then a slight delay followed by a down shift, then another once the computer figures out you really want to get it on.
Old 12-17-10, 09:27 PM
kslater
Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
It helps that when I approach lights thats turning green I am downshifting into 3rd or 2nd so I can take off right away.

Also when I come into on ramps for highways I am in the optimum torque band by being in 2nd or 3rd again.

Also I can stay in low gear for a section of the road that will eventually open up etc.

Nothing I hate more than stepping on the gas then a slight delay followed by a down shift, then another once the computer figures out you really want to get it on.
Hey, as long as it works for you. I just wish it did more than just limit the gear.
Old 12-17-10, 09:29 PM
kslater
Driver

Originally Posted by syzygy

I understand. I don't know what model year you have, but in mine i can just hold the upshift paddle and it returns to normal 6 if i didnt have the shifter in S mode.
Old 12-18-10, 07:39 AM
rkgriffin
Driver School Candidate

I love using the paddles on the freeway while in D. The IS shifts into 6th gear so early that whenever you need to quickly pass someone I hate having to wait for it to downshift. I just hit the paddle twice to get into 4th and ounch it. Then manually work it back up to 6th. Makes the car a ton more fun to drive.
Old 12-18-10, 06:39 PM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

Regarding paddle shifters - I found that in my BMW and my first IS250AWD, they are designed to coast beautifully thereby increasing gas mileage just a little bit. But, because they coast so well, you end up needing brakes much sooner than you normally would. On my BMW (318XI), I had to put front brakes on at about 25,000 miles. On my first IS250, I used the paddles for downshifting routinely - just traded it in today for a 2010 model and the brakes were still fine and I had 36,000 miles on my 2006 (I know, I don't drive very far - I live 1.2 miles from the hospital where I practice).

Interesting that the manufacturers have figured out how to get a little better gas mileage, and get the owner to bring their car back sooner for a $500 brake job (if it's just the front).

I also find the paddles much, much easier to reach and to use than the shift lever.
Old 12-18-10, 08:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by echrist0
Regarding paddle shifters - I found that in my BMW and my first IS250AWD, they are designed to coast beautifully thereby increasing gas mileage just a little bit. But, because they coast so well, you end up needing brakes much sooner than you normally would. On my BMW (318XI), I had to put front brakes on at about 25,000 miles. On my first IS250, I used the paddles for downshifting routinely - just traded it in today for a 2010 model and the brakes were still fine and I had 36,000 miles on my 2006 (I know, I don't drive very far - I live 1.2 miles from the hospital where I practice).

Interesting that the manufacturers have figured out how to get a little better gas mileage, and get the owner to bring their car back sooner for a $500 brake job (if it's just the front).

I also find the paddles much, much easier to reach and to use than the shift lever.
Brakes are cheaper to replace than engines and transmissions, so constantly downshifting putting more wear and tear on both much more expensive parts to try and save your $65 brake pads doesn't seem like the best plan.

(and if you're spending $500 for front brakes I hope it includes lube)

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters