IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

keep the S4 or switch to an IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 03:40 PM
dmenace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question keep the S4 or switch to an IS250?

Hi everyone. I am currently a second owner (36 male living in LA) of a 2000 Audi S4 (108K miles). I just about had it with the trials and tribulations of dealing w/ the maintenance costs of this car. Parts and labor are just not worth it anymore. I'm looking for something more reliable.

This is where a nice used IS250 comes in. I'm looking at a few '06 models and think it could be a nice replacement to the Audi.

My question is: financially, would I be better off keeping my Audi or buying a used IS 250? If I keep my Audi, I would have to keep paying for high maintenance costs for however long I keep it. If I switch, I could sell the Audi for 5 or 6K and buy a used IS for an additional 10K or so out of my own pocket. I assume then having the IS would rid me of dealing with high maintenance costs (as the audi is giving me now).

Keep in mind the following criteria: gas costs, gas mileage (24 vs 32, Audi vs Is250 respectively), and insurance costs.

Assuming we're talking a time span of another 5 and/or 10 years, which option would I save more? Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do?

I am seeking advice and appreciate any comments. TIA!

Last edited by dmenace; 12-17-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 03:44 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wont you miss the power?
Old 12-17-10, 03:47 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be cheaper on maintenance for sure. the ISX50 use conventional oil instead of synthetic. I think that you would loose the performance switching to a 250 though. I dont think it will handle a nice as your S4

Im personally looking at an A4 because for some reason i have pain getting in and out of my IS250. TMTC
Old 12-17-10, 03:49 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

if you are into performance then keep the audi

if you are into luxury, a little performance, and a good quality car with no headaches for the most part then get the IS.
Old 12-17-10, 03:49 PM
dmenace
Driver School Candidate

I won't miss the power at all so it's a non issue. I'm itching for something more reliable yet nice. The IS250 sounds like a nice car so I'm asking everyone what is the better financial choice between these two cars!
Old 12-17-10, 03:53 PM
dmenace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slee18
Im personally looking at an A4 because for some reason i have pain getting in and out of my IS250. TMTC
Why? And what is TMTC?
Old 12-17-10, 04:00 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an M3 before I got the IS,I made the switch mainly because of the reliability. I got tired of spending thousands everytime something goes bad or something needs to be replaced. I miss the power occasionally but I don't speed as much now so that's not a big deal. It's only been like 7months and I am very happy with my decision. Good luck on your decision.
Old 12-17-10, 04:03 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dmenace
I won't miss the power at all so it's a non issue. I'm itching for something more reliable yet nice. The IS250 sounds like a nice car so I'm asking everyone what is the better financial choice between these two cars!
you kinda gotta do the math on your own. we cant help you with insurance and gas costs. My driving record is perfect and I pay $95 a month for my IS250AWD. I only drive it on the weekends, spend $20 a week on gas. As for maintanance you can go on the website or google the IS service intervals. Most of it is just oil changes, cabin, and engine filters. Once you start getting up near 100k you do the spark plugs and a battery. There's really not that much maintanance involved. Thats one of many reasons why I bought the car
Old 12-17-10, 04:11 PM
dmenace
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I did try to do the math on my own but had no clear cut choice. I accounted for all criteria. Its difficult trying to predict which and when the parts from the audi would break down. However, it seems from the responses here people seem to recommend making the switch. Sounds like many of you guys have saved a bunch!
Old 12-17-10, 04:24 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. I did try to do the math on my own but had no clear cut choice. I accounted for all criteria. Its difficult trying to predict which and when the parts from the audi would break down. However, it seems from the responses here people seem to recommend making the switch. Sounds like many of you guys have saved a bunch!
I honestly think the BMW's and Audi's are better looking then the IS. If I had money to burn id buy one. But im smart with my money and dont have it to burn on a car for repairs. Your S4 is a sexy looking car, but what good is it if its always braking down? When I was looking for a new car I wanted to bump up in class from a VW Jetta. But I also didnt want to go broke paying for repairs on a luxury car. No car is perfect and you'll have your problems. But these are solid cars, go for it!
Old 12-17-10, 07:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the IS has a great mix of luxury, sport feel, and reliability. it might not be the fastest, but it's more than plenty, especially in LA traffic when gas mileage becomes a bonus (presuming there's not a lot of gas wasting from WOT or speeding). from my perspective, in 5-10 years, the IS will not have depreciated as much as your s4, even if the IS you get is used. but the maintenance costs is what i'd consider most. even if you get an extended warranty for your audi, there are bound to be some rather expensive maintenance work later on. but overall, if these are your two choices, i say an IS because, despite the recalls, they are quite reliable. one of my hs friends had an audi s5 and traded it in for a lexus GS, and he gladly took the gas savings and hassle-free nature of a lexus over the power of his old audi. he got the car because it looked good and it was pretty darn fast, but constantly needed repairs. it just wasn't worth it to him to keep a car that needed appointment after appointment when that money could go towards gas and rent and stuff like that. best of luck to you!
Old 12-17-10, 08:46 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Well any luxury nameplate's dealer network will charge you out the *** for repairs. but that's all my IS250 has had for thee past 96K miles or so. Nothing but scheduled maintenance and recalls for random stuff that didn't affect the car at all. So I would say even if the money ends up being about the same, the peace of mind makes it worth it.

My co-worker has a 335i and the look on his face when he starts gloating about his twin turbos immediately reverses when I bring up his HPFP. To riff on Jeremy Clarkson, yes I may be a late to work in my Lexus, and I may be a dork, but at least I showed up to work unlike the guy in the BMW getting a tow.
Old 12-17-10, 09:07 PM
FsterThanU
Driver School Candidate

Hmm this is interesting. I spent a lot of time debating on my 2nd car. Ultimately I bought the IS250 based on getting a good deal, had low mileage, maintenance is next to none with this car, it's not too slow (but I would want this car to hit 0-60 in at least high 6's), gets good gas mileage, and it's sexy.

Now I do love Audi's and BMW's both. In fact I almost bought a 1 series before realizing my job was temporary and was scared off by future maintenance. Something I've always wondered about the Audi and BMW guys is do you get your parts and labor at the dealer? It is going to cost 4x as much, thats why they call it a stealership.

Now this S4 you have has always been a car I liked but the model you have as especially been known to have its share of issues (turbos, hoses, display losing pixels). I'd say if this car did not break down and had better gas mileage it would be a hell of a car. It hauls *** and that all wheel drive is excellent. I also believe the Audi interiors were nicer than my IS250, not by much but there were things I liked a little bit better.

I hope I've given you a few things to think about but to summarize:
S4:
+This thing pulls hard, very hard. And you can always increase performance.
+Awesome all wheel drive. Sportier suspension to go along with it.
-Maintenance costs (these will most likely increase as the car ages. Usually people are hit hard after 120-140K.
-Gas mileage could be better.

IS250:
+Great reliability
+Stylish looks
+Great fuel economy
-Could use more power
-Suspension should be a bit sportier

The IS250 is the better all around car but the S4 is a beat with a few compromises you need to make. If you would really miss the performance but want to switch, save a little more and get a IS350. Just be prepared for the gas mileage to be minimally better with the 350 than your S4. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-10, 09:21 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

maintenance wise, I'd say you'd save money in a 5 to `10 year span. But you also have to take in account the other cost of ownership crap you have to pay for.

Registration is more for the IS since it is a newer car; so is insurance since youll have to get full coverage. Youll save money on the audi since it is slightly older and registration will be less. It is also paid off so you do not need full coverage. You can save by getting liabilities only. However, paying smog every 2 years for the audi, which comes up quick, and dealing with maintenance issues aint fun.

I know how it feels, and experienced the same issue with the mazda I have. If you're in it for the long run and you're gonna DD the IS250, I say get it.

definitely, keep crunching the numbers, and gl on your decision. Sometimes you do have to bite the bullet and pay for a lot up front, but it will save money in the end.
Old 12-17-10, 11:08 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone. I am currently a second owner (36 male living in LA) of a 2000 Audi S4 (108K miles). I just about had it with the trials and tribulations of dealing w/ the maintenance costs of this car. Parts and labor are just not worth it anymore. I'm looking for something more reliable.

This is where a nice used IS250 comes in. I'm looking at a few '06 models and think it could be a nice replacement to the Audi.

My question is: financially, would I be better off keeping my Audi or buying a used IS 250? If I keep my Audi, I would have to keep paying for high maintenance costs for however long I keep it. If I switch, I could sell the Audi for 5 or 6K and buy a used IS for an additional 10K or so out of my own pocket. I assume then having the IS would rid me of dealing with high maintenance costs (as the audi is giving me now).

Keep in mind the following criteria: gas costs, gas mileage (24 vs 32, Audi vs Is250 respectively), and insurance costs.

Assuming we're talking a time span of another 5 and/or 10 years, which option would I save more? Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do?

I am seeking advice and appreciate any comments. TIA!
instead of going to the dealer, try Raven motorsport in long beach. the lead mechanic, matt, is very honest. he'll recommend whats needed now, and what can be put on hold.
a ten year old car will have its share of parts failure. the only issues that the IS may have in the future are: door lock actuators, window regulators, and oxygen sensors. these are typical failures that occur in most 10 year old cars.

Quick Reply: keep the S4 or switch to an IS250?