IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

wacky intermitten wiper cycling ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 12:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default wacky intermitten wiper cycling ?

For about a year now I've noticed my wipers doing some strange things when in the highest intermitten setting. I'll come to a stop, start moving again, and they make an extra sweep. Or I'll put it in reverse, then Drive again, and it makes an extra sweep when I start moving. This doesn't happen all the time but only when the vehicle has stopped and starts moving again. I thought maybe this was a rain sensor thing, but my car is not equipped with that feature. Not to mention it's not happened until this year.
Before I take it in, was curious if someone had a similar issue and what the fix ended up being.
TIA.
Old 12-23-10, 12:29 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i've experienced the same thing, although it happens so infrequently that i've never mentioned it to the dealer.
Old 12-23-10, 12:31 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should see it on Auto. My mom's RX sometimes goes bezerk, like it's having a seizure.
Old 12-23-10, 04:55 AM
citadel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This behavior is actually a feature. I think the idea is that they're "speed sensitive" wipers that do not wipe as quickly when the car is stopped. Therefore, I think the wipers wipe twice when you start moving to make sure your windshield is clear. I've seen this behavior in both our Lexus and Toyota without rain sensing wipers.
Old 12-23-10, 12:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by citadel
This behavior is actually a feature. I think the idea is that they're "speed sensitive" wipers that do not wipe as quickly when the car is stopped. Therefore, I think the wipers wipe twice when you start moving to make sure your windshield is clear. I've seen this behavior in both our Lexus and Toyota without rain sensing wipers.
This would be the first time I've heard of such a feature while stopped. The strange thing is it didn't do it when the car was new and it doesn't do it all the time. I will check the manual and see if it's talked about. Thanks for the handy info!
Old 12-23-10, 02:19 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i noticed also. Maybe it is a feature
Old 12-23-10, 03:56 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What he said.
Old 12-23-10, 04:52 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes some sense... when you start moving, you want to clean up the accumulated rain drops, rather then wait for the timer to kick in.
Old 12-24-10, 02:46 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

The more I think about it, the more it sounds counterproductive. If they feel you need an extra swipe before starting up again, why not just keep the same speed for when you are stopped?
Old 12-24-10, 08:55 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Mine does the same thing. I actually like it. I don't need that thing on when I'm at a full stop anyway.
Old 12-24-10, 02:25 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
What he said.
Agreed. It's actually a feature, since it slows down when you come to a stop and speeds up when you start to accelerate.
Old 12-24-10, 07:39 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

It is a customizable option. I turned off all of the fancy auto-wiper options on my '11. I prefer to do it myself.

Jeff
Old 12-25-10, 01:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Is this part of the list of customized settings we all chose when we took delivery of the car? If so, I don't recall anything with the wipers being on the list.
Old 12-25-10, 02:49 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDKane527
You should see it on Auto. My mom's RX sometimes goes bezerk, like it's having a seizure.
Seriously. My aunt's RX does the exact thing, like the wipers are about to fly off. My dad's Benz is much more lax on the auto setting and seems to know what its doing.

And yep, what he said.
Old 12-25-10, 10:59 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Winter is the dry season here in Florida so I haven't used my wipers for a while, but if I remember correctly, this is the speed sensitive feature.

In the intermittent setting, when you stop, the interval becomes longer because less rain is hitting the windshield (this is assumed, even if your car does not have a rain sensor). When you start moving again, it switches back to your setting starting the first wipe immediately, regardless of how long it has been since the previous wipe, so depending on the timing it can seemingly wipe 'twice' when you move off.

In the LO setting and the intermittent ring is set to anything except the lowest setting, when you stop, the wipers actually switch to that intermittent setting, and back to LO when you start moving again.

Quick Reply: wacky intermitten wiper cycling ?