IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Traded 2006 IS350 for 2010 Jetta TDI DSG

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 11:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
Dude you're in the wrong forum if you're trying to convince people that trading in an IS350 for a jetta was a good idea...good luck to you and your car.

How did you come up with the conclusion that he was trying to persuade people to trade in their IS?????

All he did was share his story about how he went from his IS to a Jetta.

OP, good luck with your Jetta. It's a fantastic car you got there.
Old 12-27-10, 11:51 AM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
DarrellD, Are you Darrel Diller from Sewell Lexus, Dallas, TX?
No, but I am from North Dallas.
Old 12-27-10, 12:36 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

good luck with the new car.. me personally will never own a german car again! Before my IS 350 i had a 2006 a4 when i hit 45000 miles the ac took a crap, 58000 miles speedometer broke! fix the speedometer and traded for my lexus the very next day! and the resale value sucked
Old 12-27-10, 06:24 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
How did you come up with the conclusion that he was trying to persuade people to trade in their IS?????

All he did was share his story about how he went from his IS to a Jetta.

OP, good luck with your Jetta. It's a fantastic car you got there.
How did you come up with the conclusion that relaxfoo interpreted what the OP was doing was trying to persuade people to trade their IS's in for Jettas? He said stop trying to explain it was a good idea, not stop trying to convince people to follow suit.
Old 12-27-10, 06:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Guys back on topic please.
Old 12-27-10, 06:55 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350239
good luck with the new car.. me personally will never own a german car again! Before my IS 350 i had a 2006 a4 when i hit 45000 miles the ac took a crap, 58000 miles speedometer broke! fix the speedometer and traded for my lexus the very next day! and the resale value sucked
If you had owned my IS you would have traded in the first 500
miles when unintended acceleration almost launched mymom, wife, and
me across a parking lot and onto interstate traffic. The cause was not well known until the infamous State Trooper and his family were killed during a 911 call.

You would certainly traded at 5000 miles when your engine was torn down to replace the camshafts that sounded like they were grinding themselves in a garbage disposal.

You would haved been totally pissed at 10000 miles when the drivers side mirror tilted down in reverse and never recovered.

Next at around 12000 the drivers HID went out.

Then the passenger side mirror tilted down in reverse and never recovered.

Of course you must count the numerous dash rattles, fuel line, brake, and accelerator pedal recalls.

Through all this I kept the IS thinking each latest recall and repair would be the last.

My last trip to the shop was for the valve spring recall.

Would I buy another Lexus, definately. But not until I see the Gen III.
Old 01-24-11, 04:26 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

Wow I was always told to upgrade not downgrade......but you will realize it when someone leaves you standing still at the light. VW.....ridiculous!!!
Old 01-24-11, 04:29 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

Well I hate to say it but most of the problems with an IS came from the 2006 versions.....most reviews would have told you that. Considerable less issues out of the '07 and higher. Notice the '06 prices.
Old 01-24-11, 05:38 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamerzCC
Wow I was always told to upgrade not downgrade......but you will realize it when someone leaves you standing still at the light. VW.....ridiculous!!!
Do you always do what you're told or listen to society, OP got the VW and that's his choice. Left at light says the driver of the 2.5 V6 , it's not all about who has the fastest or more power, there's always someone faster.
Old 01-24-11, 05:46 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darrelld
If you had owned my IS you would have traded in the first 500
miles when unintended acceleration almost launched mymom, wife, and
me across a parking lot and onto interstate traffic. The cause was not well known until the infamous State Trooper and his family were killed during a 911 call.

You would certainly traded at 5000 miles when your engine was torn down to replace the camshafts that sounded like they were grinding themselves in a garbage disposal.

You would haved been totally pissed at 10000 miles when the drivers side mirror tilted down in reverse and never recovered.

Next at around 12000 the drivers HID went out.

Then the passenger side mirror tilted down in reverse and never recovered.

Of course you must count the numerous dash rattles, fuel line, brake, and accelerator pedal recalls.

Through all this I kept the IS thinking each latest recall and repair would be the last.

My last trip to the shop was for the valve spring recall.

Would I buy another Lexus, definately. But not until I see the Gen III.
damn dude did you get a lemon?
Old 01-24-11, 06:16 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Congrats on the new car and don't worry about all the naysayers. I personally would like to get a TDI (cup-edition would be nice) for a daily, but I'm waiting on my current 02 1.8t Jetta to have some sort of major repair first. The engine and transmission in the car are very very solid if not bullet proof though the rest of the car is not without it's problems. I have 112,000 miles on the Jetta and I will tell you that if I wasn't so mechanically inclined I would not have kept this car this long. The Jetta has been one small repair after another which could have cost a lot of money for the avg driver. It's been a love/hate relationship, but I would most certainly pick up a TDI as I seldom ever hear of any issues with them.
Old 01-24-11, 09:21 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

I had an 01 Jetta GLX (Mark IV) before my Lexus. Loved that car. Not sure of all the issues everyone says they have had with them, but the car never gave me any issues. Bought it used with about 50k miles on it. The first week I had to get the starter replaced (covered under warranty). After that the car never required any work outside of 2 batteries, 1 set of brakes and 2 sets of tires in the 5 years I owned it. The car was definitely solidly made, I flipped it twice going down the highway and literally walked away without a scratch, didnt even have to go to the hospital. The car had about 112k on it when I wrecked it, so 5 years, 60k miles and not a single issue. While I loved my Jetta, I hate all the body styles that came after the Mark IV. Was a great car but I definitely love my lexus alot more. To each there own though, best of luck with your new car, hope it treats you well.
Old 01-24-11, 09:26 AM
ohiostate
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusis305
sorry to hear about that, but would never trade a lexus for a jeta
agree.

But its your money and car so...
Old 01-24-11, 11:40 AM
Lexs350
Driver

Hey guys, "different strokes for different folks." Thank God we have the right in our Country to make a choice. Congrat's and enjoy your new vehicle
Old 01-25-11, 10:55 AM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by baadhabit
wow huge step down. VWs are always rated thee worst in reliability. plus the body style of the Jetta look like ***. good luck to you. id rather drive a Corolla over a Jetta
WOW!! You are truly ignorant!!

I admit I'm not a big fan of the Mk5 Jetta, but inside and out, it is vastly superior in every way to the Corolla of any trim level. I owned a Jetta TDI in the past, believe me, its not going to make any IS350 owners nervous, but it will walk over any Corolla in both 0-60 and skidpad performance all day long, any day of the week any week of the year. Plus, the Jetta has an interior nice enough to be in an Audi while everything about the Corolla interior screams CHEAP and cheezy!!! I have driven Corollas as rental cars while traveling for work, they are scary slow off the line, they trash like hell trying to get up to speed, and terrible brakes when it comes time to stop. The TDI will has so much low end torque that it leaps off the line and allows you to safely execute left turns and accelerate into traffic without winding the engine up to 6,500RPM while listening to it wheeze.

Also, that DSG transmission is simply amazing. I know, I sold my IS and bought a 2010 VW GTI with the DSG. And while I enjoyed my IS very much, I had so many problems with it. I got to drive several RX350s, several IS250AWDs, several HS250s, etc. as loaners because my IS spent so much time at the dealership being repaired. So far, the VW has had only one minor issue which the dealer fixed in an hour.

Quick Reply: Traded 2006 IS350 for 2010 Jetta TDI DSG