IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Traded 2006 IS350 for 2010 Jetta TDI DSG

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 05:08 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One word......SERVICE! Lexus service is amazing! Never had a problem and they even paid me a few times for the inconvenience??? LOVE IT!

The only VW product I would ever consider, would be one with a Porsche logo and twin turbos. Other than that, they are junk!...Audi's, VW's, etc...JUNK! No offense man, glad to hear your in a car that makes you happy, because ultimately thats whats important.

You want to hear a true story? I took out a VW R32 in Evanston with a salesman for a test drive back in 2004. Car only had 6k miles on the clock. All was good until about 3 miles later, when I floored it and the engine wiring harness that ran between the engine compartment and firewall caught fire!!! No joke!!!! BIG FAIL!!!!

I don't care how fast a DSG shifts...can't keep up with a IS350. Period.

Good luck, and "be careful un zee road!"
Old 01-25-11, 07:28 PM
Michelle26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why everyone chooses to hate on vw.
I came from driving a 2005 jetta gli and more recently a 2008 R32, that dsg is fun to drive even if its not as quick as the is
Congrats on the tdi!
Old 01-25-11, 08:34 PM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

to the fellow TDI owner. I never thought I'd own a diesel anything.
Old 01-26-11, 07:09 AM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexIS007
One word......SERVICE! Lexus service is amazing! Never had a problem and they even paid me a few times for the inconvenience??? LOVE IT!

The only VW product I would ever consider, would be one with a Porsche logo and twin turbos. Other than that, they are junk!...Audi's, VW's, etc...JUNK! No offense man, glad to hear your in a car that makes you happy, because ultimately thats whats important.

You want to hear a true story? I took out a VW R32 in Evanston with a salesman for a test drive back in 2004. Car only had 6k miles on the clock. All was good until about 3 miles later, when I floored it and the engine wiring harness that ran between the engine compartment and firewall caught fire!!! No joke!!!! BIG FAIL!!!!

I don't care how fast a DSG shifts...can't keep up with a IS350. Period.

Good luck, and "be careful un zee road!"
Agreed with the service at Lexus... Top notch, and I know cause I have had MANY problems with my IS.

I have had many VWs and an Audi. A 1997 A4 2.8 for 13 years with only a front suspension issue, and thats it!! Got totaled last year. I have owned several VWs with just regular maintenance. I currently own a GTI and have had only one minor, non-drivetrain related issue. My IS, I had for 4 years and have had more trouble with it than the Audi and all my VWs combined!! That car had so many thing go wrong, it is not even funny. And now another recall announced on Jan 25th. UGH!! I understand where you are coming from with VW/Audi comment, but my experience was totally different. Owning a Lexus was a nightmare compared to VW/Audi. At least the service dept at Lexus know how to treat customers. I'm back to VW and never going back to Lexus. My next car will likely be a VW Golf R, an Audi RS3 (if they bring it here) or an S4.

Your R32 experience sounds pretty horrible, but then again, why would a R32 with 6K miles be on a used car lot? I would have avoided that car. If I were shopping used, I would not buy a used VW, Audi, or BMW because they are typically driven very hard and may not be well maintained.

Yes, it's a fact, the IS350 is faster in a straight line than the DSG GTI. But I would say that the responsiveness of the DSG transmission and the flat torque curve in the 2.0T make the GTI an overall very engaging car to drive. The car shifts so fast, it feels like it is reading your mind and you can squirt through holes in traffic with ease.
Old 06-21-11, 02:42 PM
darrelld
Driver

Just passed the 10,000 mile mark with no problems. Averaging 38mpg in urban driving. Just got my first free maintenance done.
Old 06-21-11, 05:29 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your happy with the car. That's pretty much all that matters!
Old 06-21-11, 07:14 PM
Jensennn
Driver

looks like you sir have downgraded. Grats with new ride though.
Old 06-21-11, 08:03 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Congrats on your new ride, but having a serviced or dealt with a GTI before ( wifes car ) they're a POS. Almost every month the car was a the shot for different issues, multiple check engine lights, 2 trannys , engine fire after got rear ended etc..

Also had friends that had Jetta's too.... same ish' with them but more tranny replacements and other issues. Had a co-worker buy a Toureg ?? after a month of owning it brand new, already back to the STEALERSHIP for issues. I always tell all I know, NEVER buy a VW especially ones built in mexico and other places... only ones from Germany I would deal with.
Old 06-21-11, 10:23 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

and herein lies my frustration with Toyota...assuming VW has more problems or is not as well-engineered as Lexus, why is it that they can make a DSG tranny that's fun to drive and Toyota gives us a slushbox in the IS? And no, the truck tranny in the 250 does not count...

I'm sure Akio will imporve this situation with the next gen of IS/GS/and hopefully many other models in Toyota's lineup, but f***, it's been a long time since they had a respectable performance car in the US. 1998.
Old 06-22-11, 04:48 AM
DAZ1
Rookie

Variety is good. As a new Lexus owner (Dec 10), I love my 2011 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport. I sold my 2004 Mazda6 which I loved, but time for something new, better. My wife and I had a new 1999 NewBeetle TDI and currently have a 2006 NewBeetle TDI. We had numerous CEL and hard staring problems with the 1999, but the 2006 has been trouble free. Fuel mileage on the 1999 was better with a guaranteed 650 miles per tank. When looking for a replacement for my Mazda6, I considered the new 2011 Jetta TDI. Wasn't impressed with the interior, Nav was a joke, and overall turned off. I had my eye on better fuel mileage. I know of a fellow forum member on one of the MB forums that went from a Prius to a MB E Class sedan. After feeling good about saving gas, he was unhappy with what he was driving. He wanted more car, style, level of comfort and was willing to sacrifice fuel mileage. I also wanted better fuel mileage, but after looking at numerous cars for over six months, I settled on my first choice.
Old 06-22-11, 05:53 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Congrats with the new car. I hope you have better luck than the two people I know with those jettas. Both have had serious problems intact one is trying to lemon theirs.

I had a 2001 gti turbo and had no problems til around 45k at which point all the crappy plastic fittings on the turbo started breaking. Cost a lot to fix those.
Old 06-22-11, 05:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
and herein lies my frustration with Toyota...assuming VW has more problems or is not as well-engineered as Lexus, why is it that they can make a DSG tranny that's fun to drive and Toyota gives us a slushbox in the IS? And no, the truck tranny in the 250 does not count...
I guess you haven't driven an IS-F? It has offered what you're asking for for years now.

Originally Posted by replica
I'm sure Akio will imporve this situation with the next gen of IS/GS/and hopefully many other models in Toyota's lineup, but f***, it's been a long time since they had a respectable performance car in the US. 1998.
Huh?

The IS350 offered the best performance in its class when it was released.

6 years into production it's still just about class leading. (the 335i, at about $9000 more similarly equipped, is .1 seconds quicker).
Old 06-22-11, 06:37 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MJB_LEX
WOW!! You are truly ignorant!!

....The TDI will has so much low end torque that it leaps off the line and allows you to safely execute left turns and accelerate into traffic without winding the engine up to 6,500RPM while listening to it wheeze....
I wish my car could make left turns while accelerating.

My car isnt an "ambiturner", like Zoolander. I can only make right turns... haha
Old 06-22-11, 09:47 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heyarms
I wish my car could make left turns while accelerating.

My car isnt an "ambiturner", like Zoolander. I can only make right turns... haha
Can we queue up the Benny Hill music in the background while you make those right turns?
Old 06-22-11, 11:58 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I guess you haven't driven an IS-F? It has offered what you're asking for for years now.
I have, and I like them. A lot. But obviously you are offering a $60k car as a solution to $30k-40k competitors like the VW GTI or Evo X that have DCT's, which is a pointless comparison. Even still, that's a 10 year gap from the Supra to the IS-F. Ooo, I almost forgot aout the Camry Solara, or the Corolla S... those were pretty sporty.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Huh?

The IS350 offered the best performance in its class when it was released.

6 years into production it's still just about class leading. (the 335i, at about $9000 more similarly equipped, is .1 seconds quicker).
Class leading? Not really...based on the numerous shootouts I've read on sports sedans, the IS350 rarely came in 1st. Mainly due to the lame tranny, the soft handling & steering, and the mindless traction nanny setup, especially on the '06. Sure, I can turn it off in my '07 without playing dance dance revolution, but I still have to press & HOLD the damn off button for about 6 seconds every time I start the car.

Don't get me wrong, I still bought the IS obviously, but I'm also honest about the car for what it is in the sports sedan segment - a wannabe. Great DD, though.

Quick Reply: Traded 2006 IS350 for 2010 Jetta TDI DSG