IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 - How slow is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 05:18 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IS250 - How slow is it?

Been reading how the 250 has 100 hp less then the 350..

I'm coming from a SS camaro... am I going to be sorely disappointed in a 250?

I'm not buying the 250 to be a sports car, I'm just tired of the american car problems, squeaks, rattles, wind noise on the highway, shoddy brakes that warp at the first sign of a hard stop, cheap leather seats with no heat, ugly dashboards..

I don't need to be the fastest out there, but if the car is going to be underpowered (ie, weak) I might reconsider.
Old 12-28-10, 05:28 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I went from a GTO to an IS250 AWD once. Miserable. It was absolutely weak. Even after I had adjusted my driving style to compensate, 204hp pushing nearly 4000 lbs is never a good idea.
Old 12-28-10, 05:28 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

slow its not slow... hell even a prius can go 80... but if your talking 'quick', well.. just dont line up against any corolla xrs out there, unless its a automatic one then you can keep pace... look around for a used 350, the xtra 100hp? better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 12-28-10, 05:36 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
slow its not slow... hell even a prius can go 80... but if your talking 'quick', well.. just dont line up against any corolla xrs out there, unless its a automatic one then you can keep pace... look around for a used 350, the xtra 100hp? better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Yea, I'm also not rich Found a 250 "loaded" for 18k from a good seller.... looking at a genesis too..
Old 12-28-10, 05:44 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you'll miss the power. Even though you don't want it as a sports car, you'll want to step on it and be disappointed.
Old 12-28-10, 05:49 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the 350 man, the 250 is so ***** slow, its ridiculous
Old 12-28-10, 05:52 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If you were moving UP (hp wise) to an is250, i'd say it would fit your expectations, but since you're coming from an SS camaro, you would probably be best suited in a 350. Since you're buying used, the price differences arent as bad as they are for new ones (what is it, $4k between is250 and is350 new?). I'd hold out for a good is350, because there is nothing out there that will make the is250 faster, we have no real aftermarket parts for performance. TEST DRIVING is also a great option.
Old 12-28-10, 06:30 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both the 350 and a Trans Am. I have never owned or driven a 250. Traded in my Dodge Hemi Ram for the 350.

With that said, I must also say that the IS and the F body are two completely different feeling vehicles. It took me a couple of months to get over buyer's remorse and accept that this IS is not ever going to have that muscle car rumble, that FlowMaster sound, that heavy big car presence. As a matter of fact, I actually hated myself for letting my truck go. I wouldn't even drive the IS for a while, my remorse was that bad.

The IS is more agile and quick in terms of maneuverability, but it will never have that adrenalin rushing pull that the big cars do. Even the 350. Now granted, I raced the two against each other and although the 350 pulled off right away, it was too smooth...too quiet....there's something about a muscle car that's so different from the import that you WILL miss something, no matter if you get the 250 or the 350.

Last edited by Micaiah; 12-28-10 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 06:40 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Test drive both that's what I did. 350 was a must. The 250 was waaaaayyyyyyy underpowered.
Old 12-28-10, 06:43 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
I have both the 350 and a Trans Am. I have never owned or driven a 250. Traded in my Dodge Hemi Ram for the 350.

With that said, I must also say that the IS and the F body are two completely different feeling vehicles. It took me a couple of months to get over buyer's remorse and accept that this IS is not ever going to have that muscle car rumble, that FlowMaster sound, that heavy big car presence. As a matter of fact, I actually hated myself for letting my truck go. I wouldn't even drive the IS for a while, my remorse was that bad.

The IS is more agile and quick in terms of maneuverability, but it will never have that adrenalin rushing pull that the big cars do. Even the 350. Now granted, I raced the two against each other and although the 350 pulled off right away, it was too smooth...too quiet....there's something about a muscle car that's so different from the import that you WILL miss something, no matter if you get the 250 or the 350.
Well, I plan to keep the camaro

This will be more of a daily driver for me... I'm looking for luxury and quiet ride. The camaro is fun for speed, but I'm done with going deaf on the highway due to wind noise from leaky doors and badly sealed windows, and the creaks, and the whines and the lacking stock brakes.
Old 12-28-10, 06:44 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

If 350 was avaiable at your place, I would suggest to go with 350.
Old 12-28-10, 06:45 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

or maybe he got the SS camaro in the first place because he was talked into needing all that hp. Maybe he really needs a nimble yet luxurious car that can do decent pulls on WOT.

As always, test drive the 250, if you like it, take it and never look at test driving a more powerful car until you are ready for your next trade in.
Old 12-28-10, 06:48 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmags
Well, I plan to keep the camaro

This will be more of a daily driver for me... I'm looking for luxury and quiet ride. The camaro is fun for speed, but I'm done with going deaf on the highway due to wind noise from leaky doors and badly sealed windows, and the creaks, and the whines and the lacking stock brakes.
If you are keeping the SS then by all means go for your 250 AWD! Keeping the Trans Am was my saving grace. You can take the muscle car away from the girl but you can never take the muscle car out of the girl.

I still miss my truck. I went back to the dealer to try to get him back but someone had already bought him.
Old 12-28-10, 06:57 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Well - I'm going on a test drive in the 250 today, I saw pics, it's 100% clean.

The problem for me is that anything 2010+ (in ANY car dealership) is going to be 300+ a month.

I'm looking for 250 or less. I can get a 14k loan at my credit union for 3.75 % and it'll end up being right at 200 a month, for a Is250 awd with 52k on it. (Me throwing 4.5k ontop of that of course)

So it's either pay MORE than I want a month for something like a Genesis Track or a Honda V6..

Or get a nice is250 that isn't super fast.
Old 12-28-10, 07:05 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u have the funds to get the faster one then why not? The price difference isn't much for used if you search around. My 250 is just fine for me jus put an exhaust on it and it will sound like ur going a lot faster than u are lol. What year Camaro do you have? I to miss the V8 sound like micaiah so much I ALMOST bought an ISF like 2 weeks ago... but couldn't find the color I want so. Maybe next time. I would jus go test drive em both and see if the 250 is good enough. GL

Quick Reply: IS250 - How slow is it?